Options

Skydiving Advice - Anyone Done It?

scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been thinking of going skydiving for a really long time, but everytime I decide I chicken out. Really thinking of doing it this year but not sure what to expect.

Not sure what advice I'm after really, just people's experiences and how safe / dangerous it is? Do you need to prepare your body for it beforehand (like working out etc) I also know that like other sports there's always a risk involved but it's something I've wanted to experience the freefall for a long time..:)

Comments

• Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't done one, but my boyfriend did one a couple of years ago. His parents got him it as a surprise for his 30th.

He didn't do any specific working out beforehand. As for safety, the flight school do a bit of a safety training exercise beforehand.

Go for it! One word of caution-be prepared to have to wait around on the day. We waited six hours for my boyfriend's turn on the day. But he absolutely loved it.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember to pull the cord...

Seriously - I have never done one but it is on my to do list when I lose weight. Along with a bungee jump. No idea why I think I am brave enough to do either.
  • Options
    scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Remember to pull the cord...

Seriously - I have never done one but it is on my to do list when I lose weight. Along with a bungee jump. No idea why I think I am brave enough to do either.

Thanks for that!:blush::o

I don't think I'm 'quite there' yet with the solo jump..:o:D
    Will mostly be doing it with an instructor even then I keep on chickening it out, although a lot of my friends who have gone & done it said it's the most amazing feeling ever!!
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that when you first do it, you will need to be strapped to an instructor. So that kinda kills it for me.

Don't think there's any way around it unless you have done several jumps with the instructor. Then you can solo jump.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    I used to skydive.

Go for it, OP. If you haven't done it, you haven't lived. Better than any drug, you'll be on a high all week.

I know tandem jumps are popular these days, but I'd recommend the old fashioned static line method as a more fulfilling experience.

Don't worry about safety - thats taken care of by the experts, and if you do jump, you'll be properly briefed about every last detail.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    My niece did a parachute jump for charity several years ago. The only training that she did was on the morning of the jump, which took place later in the afternoon.

Some of those in her group did a tandem jump but some, my niece included, were allowed to jump solo. I wasn't there myself so I don't know how the distinction was made.

It might be different now but, at the time she trained for her jump, they were told that the chances of the main parachute failing to open was about 1 in 750, and the chance of the back-up one failing was the same. Not that high when you consider it, well, I didn't think so, anyway. There is some risk, there's risk in most things in life that we do. I'm not sure whether she would do it now as she's the mother of a young child.

My niece told me that, having jumped from the plane and pulled the cord (?), floating back down to the ground was the most amazing feeling ever! She was in touch with her instructor by means of two-way radio, and he gave her instructions and advice remotely as she drifted back down to the ground.
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our eldest boy has been skydiving for about 18 months now and is addicted. He said you can do a starter jump as a tandem, needing only about 1+ hour training or AFF which is what he chose to do. I think this is Accelerated Free fall and you have about a day's training and then a solo jump.
    If you decide to take it up for a hobby, it can be expensive what with the chute and all the other gear needed but you can hire equipment at the jump sites but there can be a queue for it. He now has a wing suit and does that as well.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    My niece did a parachute jump for charity several years ago. The only training that she did was on the morning of the jump, which took place later in the afternoon.

Some of those in her group did a tandem jump but some, my niece included, were allowed to jump solo. I wasn't there myself so I don't know how the distinction was made.

It might be different now but, at the time she trained for her jump, they were told that the chances of the main parachute failing to open was about 1 in 750, and the chance of the back-up one failing was the same. Not that high when you consider it, well, I didn't think so, anyway. There is some risk, there's risk in most things in life that we do. I'm not sure whether she would do it now as she's the mother of a young child.

My niece told me that, having jumped from the plane and pulled the cord (?), floating back down to the ground was the most amazing feeling ever! She was in touch with her instructor by means of two-way radio, and he gave her instructions and advice remotely as she drifted back down to the ground.

As you say, it is an amazing experience doing what your niece did. You correctly added a question mark after 'pulling the cord' as she didn't do this. On a static line jump the parachute opens due to the static line that one is attached to being pulled taut as you exit.

Its the thrill of that first jump that leads to some taking it up as a sport, but I always think that everyone should do it at least once. Brilliant for morale and confidence.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to do a skydive but I'm about 80% sure I can't due to a neurological condition. Darn.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly 150 jumps here!

My advice is, if you're serious, then go for a tandem first. That'll get you used the whole sensation of jumping from a plane and the the feeling of falling, plus you get the added bonus of an instructor talking you through it all the way down. Next would be a solo (but try to get it done in a group) static line jump from about 10k, and that's where the real fear kicks in. Trust me, as much as you want to do it, your brain will be screaming at you that it's stupid to step out of the door. Do that a few times and then look into skydiving/parachuting schools in and around your area.

Just remember though, if you're going to get serious and buy your own 'chute, then, with all the other gear, you're looking at laying out at least £5K for the chute and gear alone.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a tandem skydive about ten years ago in New Zealand. Amazing experience and really enjoyed it. Only thing I'd say is that my ears were killing for a while after we touched down. I think you're supposed to " equalise" the pressure in them on the way down (like you do when diving) although at no point was I told about this.

As I say, amazing experience, but I must admit that personally I got a bigger adrenaline rush from the bungee jumps that I did. Just my personal feeling though. Go for it OP. Do a tandem jump first though - you can't chicken out of those!

This has reminded me that I've got videos somewhere of my skydive and my bungee jumps. Must dig them out sometime!
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a tandem jump in Australia years ago - I'll admit that the only reason I did it was because all my mates were doing it and I didnt want to be left out - I really, really didnt want to do as Im not the best with heights and was absolutely cacking myself going up in the plane.

BUT it was an amazing experience and the adrenaline rush was like nothing I've ever experienced before.
    It was amazing. I'll be honest though, now that I've 'crossed it off on the list', I probably wont ever do it again.

Go for it.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking of going skydiving for a really long time, but everytime I decide I chicken out. Really thinking of doing it this year but not sure what to expect.

Not sure what advice I'm after really, just people's experiences and how safe / dangerous it is? Do you need to prepare your body for it beforehand (like working out etc) I also know that like other sports there's always a risk involved but it's something I've wanted to experience the freefall for a long time..:)

Did it a few yrs ago. Its fantastic. And i have a fear of flights too!
    Weirdly there is no falling sensation as you freefall. Once the shut opens its like gliding.
    Beautiful.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    They wouldn't even get me to go up in the plane, let alone jump out of it :o:(

Fear of heights and fear of flying; no chance!
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a tandem skydive about ten years ago in New Zealand. Amazing experience and really enjoyed it. Only thing I'd say is that my ears were killing for a while after we touched down. I think you're supposed to " equalise" the pressure in them on the way down (like you do when diving) although at no point was I told about this.

Eurgh yes, my ears hurt so much afterwards and no-one told me about that either.

I thought you weren't allowed to do a solo jump without having done a tandem one first but maybe that's just the place I went to that has that rule.

OP, the freefall is amazing but it is over SO quickly. When the parachute opens you shoot up a bit and it can be erm rather uncomfortable in your nether regions so if you're a man make sure your bits are tucked out of the way. I did a tandem skydive and the instructor asked me if I wanted to do some loops once the parachute was open. I agreed to it which was a BIG mistake - maybe one or two would have been okay but I did several and I felt really sick. I am very rarely carsick but after that just as I was leaving I had to pull the car over to throw up in the road. :blush:

Also, my skydiving session was cancelled twice due to too many clouds/bad weather (and that was in August) but I didn't get told till I got to the centre which was a pain as it was an hour from me and I had to drive home again. So be prepared that it may be cancelled on you at very short notice. I'd psych myself up for it and then to be told it wasn't happening was horrible as I knew I'd have to go through all that gut churning anxiety again!

But you should totally go for it OP. It's definitely not something I'd want to do as a hobby and I think I'd only do it again for charity but I'm really glad I did it as it was something I'd always wanted to do. I'm the biggest wimp ever so if I can do it anyone can. :D And there is absolutely no working out required - I was a 7 and a half stone weakling who was allergic to exercise when I did mine and it wasn't an issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to have the bottle to do it
  • Options
    moanzalotmoanzalot Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I did mine about a month ago in Australia ( Tandem )

I absolutely hate heights, and dont particularly like flying but you get so much adrenaline from just getting ready to do it it even the take off and that wasn't too bad, it was the best thing i have ever done, theres nothing to compare it too!! go for it!! :D
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never do it. I have an irrational fear of stopping really suddenly.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought you weren't allowed to do a solo jump without having done a tandem one first but maybe that's just the place I went to that has that rule.

When I did parachuting, I started with a sponsored jump.

You can select to do a tandem jump, which takes just a couple of hours training, or you can do a solo static-line jump, which required about 8 hours training the first day, then an assessment by the instructor as to whether you're going to be safe to do it (knowing the correct drills should an event happen under canopy, and ability to deploy your reserve chute). If you passed this, you were allowed to do a solo jump the following day.

I ended up doing 3 static line jumps, after which they deemed me qualified enough to do proper free-fall jumps, responsible for deploying my own chute! No feeling like it in the world!

You'll love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    When I did parachuting, I started with a sponsored jump.

You can select to do a tandem jump, which takes just a couple of hours training, or you can do a solo static-line jump, which required about 8 hours training the first day, then an assessment by the instructor as to whether you're going to be safe to do it (knowing the correct drills should an event happen under canopy, and ability to deploy your reserve chute). If you passed this, you were allowed to do a solo jump the following day.

I ended up doing 3 static line jumps, after which they deemed me qualified enough to do proper free-fall jumps, responsible for deploying my own chute! No feeling like it in the world!

You'll love it.

Yaay, first time you save your own life, no other jump quite like it, and crate of beer time :D
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have done a solo, static line in Peterborough from 3,500 feet. This involved a day's training, a fairly easy "exam" and a jump on the afternoon of the second day. There's not much to it as your ripcord is pulled automatically when you get within a certain distance of the plane. That said, you have to exit the plane correctly, check the canopy opens correctly to determine whether you need to pull the emergency chute, and to land properly.

Also, have done a tandem jump in New Zealand from 15,000 feet. I would recommend this far above a static line. Because your fellow jumper takes care of all the other stuff, you can do this kind of jump from far higher on your initial jumps without any training.

By far the best part of skydiving is the freefall and you'll get an amazing amount of time to do this in a tandem. Pretend to be Superman.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago a neighbour of mine was always parachuting.

His wife then discovered he was having an affair.

He went on his next jump - having cut both cords and jumped to hios death. I can barely think of a worse way to go. That and Carole Barnes & Jon Snows daughter dieing on a jump has put paid to me ever doing anything like it.

Just fills me with terror.
  • Options
    starter24starter24 Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    If you write me a cheque for £100 million, I would be more than glad to do it, and all of my fear about it will have gone out of the window! :cool:
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a parachute jump at University and can recall:
    (1) the absolute silence after the chute was deployed and I was slowly descending to the ground :)
    (2) hitting the ground about 5s before I thought I was going to, oww!!
    (3) landing on a lone strip of cement in the middle of a field full of field stuff (ie grass) and being dragged across the strip when the wind inflated my downed chute, owww!!!
    (5) as I walked back to base, chute all folded up in my arms, hearing a whirring sound coming from the right, shifting the chute out of my way to see what it was, then seeing another plane zooming down the runway (the lone cement strip) towards me :o

One thing I'd wish I'd done is taken a mini camera along to take some snaps - guess if you do do your skydiving then an iphone (other brands are available) will be on your equipment list. :D
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and jumped from 15000 foot for our joint 60th birthday treat.
    It was "tandem" - with an instructor.
    We free fell 10000 and parachuted 5000.
    The instructors nearly always somersault you as you fall out and the roar when falling is amazing.
    Then, when the chute opens, absolute silence.
    The instructor pointed out distant land marks and let me control the chute for a while.
    My wife was close enough to shout to.
    When you land you raise your legs and the instructor takes the strain as you land on your bottom.
    We had a 30 minute briefing and it all went out of my head as soon as I stared out of the hatch at the ground below! :o
    Don't spend your life wishing you'd done it - just do it! :p