Options

BBC Three to be replaced with BBC One +1

JVDJVD Posts: 572
Forum Member
✭✭
Looks likely now doesn't it?

Not a fan of BBC Three anyway and those of you who like American Dad and Family Guy grab yourself the boxsets from Amazon or HMV or watch them on Netflix/Lovefilm ;-)

BBC Four's content will be ok on BBC Two so im fine with that when they decide to close it.

Comments

• Options
    RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's looking like a phased closed down of the BBC. First BBC 3 then 4, a couple of years later BBC 2 then closes and finally BBC 1.

Its long overdue really as we move into the internet TV age the TV Licence Fee becomes unenforceable and will have to be scrapped.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they seem to be saying they are going to keep BBC three but it will be an iplayer only channel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    It's looking like a phased closed down of the BBC. First BBC 3 then 4, a couple of years later BBC 2 then closes and finally BBC 1.

Its long overdue really as we move into the internet TV age the TV Licence Fee becomes unenforceable and will have to be scrapped.

The BBC know it that their days are numbered , they need a new way to fund themselves , I propose it to become subscription and at a reduced number of channels too!

BBC News , Parliament should also get the chop as should Asian Network and 1Xtra & 2 Extra.

The only Radio stations they need are BBC Radio's , 1 ,2 ,3 4 and 5Live and 6Music nothing else. Regional Radio should be community funded through local poll tax.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, people are now getting so carried away that they are inventing channels which don't exist and suggesting they are closed down. :D
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Ha ha, people are now getting so carried away that they are inventing channels which don't exist and suggesting they are closed down. :D

Pathetic isn't it!

:confused:
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    This move could easily be explained if the BBC have been outbid for the McFarlane animated stable (like they were when Channel 4 bid many times over what the BBC could afford for The Simpsons Terrestrial rights).

Without Family Guy and Eastenders re-runs, the programming only goes from 7-10.30 most weeknights. And weekends is McFarlane stuff from 10pm preceded by old movies and Dr who repeats.

If they have lost McFarlane's output, they have to find a whole load of stuff to show after 11 each night

As long as they promote the new BBC3 stuff enough it will still have an audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cleveland Show and Bobs Burgers on E4 , Family Guy and American Dad will do just fine there.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least we will still have BBC News 24, Parliament, Cbeebies and CBBC.:D
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refuse to watch tv online, so that's going to make pvr's useless to for recording on?
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVD wrote: »
    Cleveland Show and Bobs Burgers on E4 , Family Guy and American Dad will do just fine there.
    I suspect Murdoch will be happier keeping them exclusively behind a paywall on FOX. That is if the current audience of BBC Three decide to continue paying a licence fee.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Viva would be good.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cleveland Show will not be an issue shortly. It was cancelled by Fox last year,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    Viva would be good.

Or that! ;-)
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably both CBBC and Cbeebies are continuing, so BBC 1 +1 looks to be a part time channel only, at least on Freeview.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea, I've often wished to catch up on programmes I've just missed and have to wait for the iPlayer, who on earth watches BBC Three anyway?

Its the Radio 3 of television, people throw up their hands in horror at the thought of axing it but who actually listens to it?
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Cleveland Show will not be an issue shortly. It was cancelled by Fox last year,
    All the more reason for E4 to acquire Family Guy then, eh?
    Spot wrote: »
    Yeah, no such thing as BBC 2Extra. There's radio stations called 1Xtra and 4Extra, but not 2Extra.
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea, I've often wished to catch up on programmes I've just missed and have to wait for the iPlayer, who on earth watches BBC Three anyway?

Its the Radio 3 of television, people throw up their hands in horror at the thought of axing it but who actually listens to it?

Number 1 - it is not the radio three of telly. When was the last time you read the radio 3 schedule and saw Snog, Marry,Avoid on it?

Number 2 - I listen to Radio 3 in the mornings, and I would describe myself as a bit common you know. I scratch my foreskin first thing, whether it is itchy or not.

On Radio 3 you have pleasant but challenging classical / jazz music from 6.00 to 12.00. No advertisements, no Jingles and no competitions like, "What is the capital of Paris?". Answer "P"...

Number 3 - I wake up in the morning with Radio 3 on my alarm phone. The first thing I do obviously when I wake up in the mornings is to throw my hands up in horror.....not because Radio 3 is on, but because I have another day of work to face up to.........

Off to bed now. Nighty night.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would make a good interactive channel for the World cup.
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    ah good ole bbc + fricken one "Due to legal obligations the following show cannot be shown on this channel at this time"
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to look at bit daft on your channel EPG isn't it.

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Four

Missing three, is just silly. Makes it look like the beeb can't count!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    It's going to look at bit daft on your channel EPG isn't it.

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Four

Missing three, is just silly. Makes it look like the beeb can't count!

One would imagine BBC4 will get a new name.

BBC Four was actually launched when BBC3 was still BBC Choice I'm sure.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear.

Dream on.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain to me how the BBC saves money? If the transmission space that BBC3 took is being kept for BBC1+1 theres no money savings there.

They say they are still producing content for BBC Three but it just goes online, so no money saved there.

Where is it being saved?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain to me how the BBC saves money? If the transmission space that BBC3 took is being kept for BBC1+1 theres no money savings there.

They say they are still producing content for BBC Three but it just goes online, so no money saved there.

Where is it being saved?
    The only things that I can think of:

BBC three online budget will be cut drastically

BBC one +1 would have had to have additional space, this will no longer be the case. But the BBC could (should?) have saved the money by simply canning the idea of BBC one +1

There's plenty of detail still missing (such as what happens with the shared childrens space, what happens to the HD space), hopefully things might become a little clearer today
  • Options
    kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    If the close down of BBC Three HD leads to BBC One+1, will the +1 channel be the first +1 channel to be in HD in view of the fact that the channel it's replacing was a HD one?