Options

Apple seeks $40 Per 'infringing' handset againt Samsung

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
The war continues....

This time Apple seeks $40 per 'infringing' handset from Samsung. Apple are still concerned about their market share :D
Apple is claiming that 10 Sammy devices, including the popular Galaxy SIII, infringe on five of its patents, covering tech like the famous slide-to-unlock feature, auto-spelling corrections and highlighting phone numbers directly from emails and web pages for easy dialing. Samsung is arguing that four of the five patents, excluding slide-to-unlock, were licensed from Google as part of its Android OS and that the Chocolate Factory was working on its tech before Apple filed its patents.

But commentators are already saying that Apple's $40 per device is pretty excessive. There are hundreds of thousands of patents at work in mobile devices and while some are more valuable than others, it's going to be tough to argue that a mere five patents should entitle a firm to such a high percentage of a smartphone's price tag. Given that high-end smartphones are typically introduced at around the $300 mark, $40 would be a whopping 13 per cent cut.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/31/apple_samsung_new_patent_trial/

Comments

• Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    They need to boost profits somehow given their phones are flopping, market share is falling and their illegal activity has been discovered.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple once again throwing all their toys out of the pram like little babies. They have to get it into their thick heads that not everyone wants an iPhone. There are people like myself that want a phone without restrictions. Yes I have an ipod touch, but even that I jailbroke to remove the restrictions that Apple had placed on it & now it runs to how I want it to run, not how Apple want me to use it. Every Android owner I know picked Android because it wasn't as restrictive as a iPhone or Windows phone. So Apple being the tools that they always have been, are doing anything to sue, even tho the late great Steve Jobs, even admitted that Apple stole things from other devices.

This is a war in which only the lawyers will be the winners.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, the slide to unlock that has already been proven to have been out well before apple did it. Funny how they seem to ignore this.

Also not forgetting the LG Prada was developed before the iphone as well. Desperation shows no bounds here!
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here’s how Apple calculated the extra $2.19 billion it wants from Samsung in court....

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/8/5590278/heres-how-apple-figured-out-the-extra-2-19-billion-it-wants-from
  • Options
    daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    They need to boost profits somehow given their phones are flopping, market share is falling and their illegal activity has been discovered.

Illegal activity?? Wasn't it Samsung who got busted for employing students to write negative comments about the HTC One??

I am not sure why you are so-anti-apple did they turn you down for a phone or something?

Apple are seeking what they think they deserve in damages irrespective of what we think is a reasonable price for Samsung to pay if any.

And last of all Apple make hell of a lot of profit and they are not exactly short of cash.

I am not pro-apple nor anti-samsung I hop between all platforms and that includes windows phone but posts like yours do not contribute towards threads they just invite flaming.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    $40 is bollocks.

the patents that make 3G work for example are less per device than that.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    $40 is bollocks.

the patents that make 3G work for example are less per device than that.

Presumably, rightly or wrongly, its based on what they think they have lost in sales, not on the cost of a patent.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    How about Apple give us a new and really ground-breaking phone stuffed full of exciting and innovative technology which will herald a new dawn in mobile phone technology and patent it to hell. Stop it with the patent rehashing - it's a bit like Prince and his tantrums - wasted time and energy.

I'm feeling generous so here's one to start you off Apple. Fit your next model with a camera that is absolutely the best on any phone. Make it something REALLY special.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will never stop, because that's what the dead man would have wanted. BTW they should go into pimping business, they are bound to get even bigger cut per device and transaction.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are so shameless.

How about they innovate and compete with their own products instead of all these frivolous law suits. However when you have biased American judges like Lucy Koh why do they need to.

JK Shin needs to get himself a green card and then work on getting himself US citizenship.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=darkjedimaster;71984318 Every Android owner I know picked Android because it wasn't as restrictive as a iPhone or Windows phone. .[/QUOTE]

Oh c'mon, that can't be true (or you have very few friends). 90% of Android owners do not "pick" Android. They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S. Most of the rest probably go for things like the big screen or hyped up camera. It's a very small percentage of phone owners who buy primarily based upon the O/S it is running (just geeks like you and me).
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Oh c'mon, that can't be true (or you have very few friends). 90% of Android owners do not "pick" Android. They buy a cheap and cheerful phone that meets their requirements regardless of O/S. Most of the rest probably go for things like the big screen or hyped up camera. It's a very small percentage of phone owners who buy primarily based upon the O/S it is running (just geeks like you and me).

I very much doubt that's true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daleski75 wrote: »
    Illegal activity?? Wasn't it Samsung who got busted for employing students to write negative comments about the HTC One??
    I am not sure why you are so-anti-apple did they turn you down for a phone or something?
    Apple are seeking what they think they deserve in damages irrespective of what we think is a reasonable price for Samsung to pay if any.
    And last of all Apple make hell of a lot of profit and they are not exactly short of cash.
    I am not pro-apple nor anti-samsung I hop between all platforms and that includes windows phone but posts like yours do not contribute towards threads they just invite flaming.

Yes illegal activity, price fixing, to which they were found guilty of. All companies are dodgy we all know that but Apple take it to another level.

What Apple consider deserved or owing and what is right and practical in thew real world are 2 completely different things I'm afraid.

I apologise you feel this post doesn't meet your strict criteria for criticism but when such ludicrous amounts in damages are sought we all suffer in the long run. I therefore don't apologise for calling Apple on the many things they try and pull to the detriment of us all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »

So with that criteria people only buy iphones for the badge then? Can't be the os as you have already said and there is no stand out feature on an iphone to choose above any other phone ;-)
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Samsung and Apple think they're above the rules. Samsung in particular does things in Korea that it tries to replicate abroad, and it always ends in tears as the media outside of Korea has no hesitation in reporting such practices. From the way it handles the media, to paying for reviews (and votes in awards - something we were hit with when I was at What Mobile), taking bloggers to events in return for positive coverage, to even paying celebs to promote phones.

Apple's price fixing, the way it has forced certain rules on operators that would normally tell a company to sod off, but can't because it's so vital to sell the iPhone (maybe in the future, we'll see some operators just saying to Apple 'Sorry, we're not going to range this model'), is also just as bad.

When a company gets so ridiculously big and powerful, it thinks it can do anything it likes. That's how we see other companies get massive, then get taken down a peg or two. Sometimes big companies don't just get small, they go completely.

This latest case is another farce, but it's interesting to see what's being revealed as a result. No big surprises, but still interesting!

I'd have actually thought that any big company would avoid court to prevent such information getting out, but I guess Apple and Samsung know that the people that care about the case already know. Joe Public who buys a Samsung or Apple religiously whenever a new device comes out won't have a clue, or care, or will still defend whatever camp they sit in.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone sales are still increasing, just not as quickly as the market is growing. I don't think Apple are in any danger of seeing falling profits just yet.

As for their "illegal activity" that had absolutely nothing to do with iPhones. It was about trying to prevent a competitor (Amazon) securing domination over the eBook sales market. Yeah, they shouldn't have done it, and yeah they broke the law, but that hardly affects their relationship with Samsung.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    iPhone sales are still increasing, just not as quickly as the market is growing. I don't think Apple are in any danger of seeing falling profits just yet.

As for their "illegal activity" that had absolutely nothing to do with iPhones. It was about trying to prevent a competitor (Amazon) securing domination over the eBook sales market. Yeah, they shouldn't have done it, and yeah they broke the law, but that hardly affects their relationship with Samsung.

Price fixing is illegal, but loads of businesses do it and have very clever ways to get around the laws.

The rest of what Apple does isn't illegal, it's just taking advantage of having something that people really, really want. Thus enjoying huge profit margins that other companies would kill for, with operators willing to do anything to be able to sell them.

The question is whether Apple can still continue doing this in the long term. My guess is that it probably can unless there's some incredible scandal or similar that simply makes Apple a toxic brand or 'uncool'.

Likewise with Samsung.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I very much doubt that's true.

I would suspect that for a lot of people cost and form factor are two if the biggest factors in making a purchase.

If Android phones are a available in a far wider range of price points and designs then I think that's going to be a much bigger factor than how much they can customise things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So with that criteria people only buy iphones for the badge then? Can't be the os as you have already said and there is no stand out feature on an iphone to choose above any other phone ;-)

Only if you think the only two factors are 'badge' and 'OS'. But why would you think that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »

yes true but profits have fallen consistently quarter after quarter.

How can fixing ebook prices have nothing to do with smartphones :confused: it was nothing to do with Amazon, this is the pro apple stance we have heard before. It was about not wishing to compete fairly and making excessive profit and the expense of you and me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Only if you think the only two factors are 'badge' and 'OS'. But why would you think that?

Because tdenson just told me so, that OS is not a consideration in buying a phone so what would be a reason to buy an iphone? if not the brand.

Unless your saying he is wrong, are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because tdenson just told me so, that OS is not a consideration in buying a phone so what would be a reason to buy an iphone? if not the brand.

Unless your saying he is wrong, are you?

I'm assuming there are more factors than 'brand' and 'OS'.

For example cost, design, size, eco system, whether or not a person had other devices using the same.

I don't think you can argue, as you seem to doing, that if someone doesn't buy a phone because of the OS, then they must be buying it because of the brand.

I would have thought it far more likely that their decision is based on a combination of all of the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cost - hardly likely to want to pay more than any other phone to buy an iphone, especially as tdenson says people buy cheap and cheerful
    design - hard to say possible, but very doubtful alone
    size - tdenson has already said people buy "cheap and cheerful that meets their need" that would include size.
    ecosystem - that's os

So not sure based on the above that leaves much other than badge according to the tdenson criteria. I am not arguing anything I never made a statement as to why people buy phones.

possible for some as you they may have had iphone before etc agreed but that would also apply to android, if you maintain that then you think tdenson is wrong, is he?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I'm assuming there are more factors than 'brand' and 'OS'.

For example cost, design, size, eco system, whether or not a person had other devices using the same.

I don't think you can argue, as you seem to doing, that if someone doesn't buy a phone because of the OS, then they must be buying it because of the brand.

I would have thought it far more likely that their decision is based on a combination of all of the above.

I'm gonna use one of your sayings, and say the cost is a red herring. Most people get phones on contracts, so cost really isn't a problem for most.

Brand and OS are i would say a bigger part than cost.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes illegal activity, price fixing, to which they were found guilty of. All companies are dodgy we all know that but Apple take it to another level.

Yes, quite right. Price fixing is illegal.

Samsung guilty of LCD display price fixing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20910299

Samsung guilty of DRAM price fixing: http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/press_releases/2005/212002.htm