Options

RTE 2FM about to be bannisterd ?

Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
Forum Member
Someone who works in RTE was telling me that word around the place is that, 2fm is to get a Matthew Bannister style cull and relaunch in February. It's an odd station, It's meant to be the national youth station but its programing has always been a lot closer to Radio 2 than Radio 1.

Comments

• Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,894
    Forum Member
    To me,Radio 1 plays to the 50 plus, so "2FM" should do 30-50 and leave the rest to the ILR's and Pirates. A Bannister style cull would send everyone away to the ILR's, but if that's what they want?...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother lives in Ireland and knows the two presenters who are going there who will appeal to a younger audience. Hector has gone from breakfast and it seems like the station has been confused for some time about who their audience actually is. I could see tubridy moving on as well very soon.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But even some of the commercial stations in Ireland are a bit strange. Some stations I've heard seem to have very random formatting. 1 station I heard called Ocean FM had an Irish Country Show on Sunday morning and a Dance Music Show on Saturday Nights!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today fm has a similar feel the playlist can vary throughout the day but if you listen to stations like 98fm they are a top 40 station with a younger presenter.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Not heard it since Gerry Ryan's time, but he, Gogan and Marty weren't exactly in the first flush of youth, but there again neither were CT, Les Ross etc..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    But even some of the commercial stations in Ireland are a bit strange. Some stations I've heard seem to have very random formatting. 1 station I heard called Ocean FM had an Irish Country Show on Sunday morning and a Dance Music Show on Saturday Nights!

Yes, us Irish listeners are certainly unique. A lot of the ILR's still carry 'death notices'! :o The stations in/and close to major cities are much more tightly formatted than the local stations.

But this is what makes Irish radio so great in my opinion.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Someone who works in RTE was telling me that word around the place is that, 2fm is to get a Matthew Bannister style cull and relaunch in February. It's an odd station, It's meant to be the national youth station but its programing has always been a lot closer to Radio 2 than Radio 1.

2Fm (or Radio 2 as was)is not a youth station, nor do I believe it was ever meant to be. It was a music station for a younger generation but not specifically for the "youth".

It does need to be "Bannisterised" imo. I've said that for the last 10 years or more.
    A reorganisation of RnaG and Lyric and a new "Radio 2 " style station is required. Ronan Collins could come off Radio 1 and Larry etc off 2Fm.
    You would actually have a very good station then.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem when you do this sort of thing you disenfranchise a lot of listeners i.e. people of my age who grew up in the 70's 80's listening to pop music at the time. As happened to me with Radio One in the early 90's. I still haven't recovered from the loss :(

Personally, I think RTE Radio 2 sounds very much "yoof" as it is now, with a couple of strange anomalies, like Larry Gogan for example, who's now into his 70's. Larry really should be on Radio 1 at this stage.

But RTE Radio 1 is very much a speech based station and much of the music it plays is for an age group older than myself i.e. late 60's/early 70's.

If it was down to me I'd revamp RTE Radio 1 with more music and make Newstalk a national station as opposed to quasi national to fill the gap.
  • Options
    Dave_Brown2Dave_Brown2 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I hope nothing changes. When I lived Eire it was a great station. The Last Word was good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope nothing changes. When I lived Eire it was a great station. The Last Word was good.

The Last Word is on Today FM.
    Still is good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once I get the ok I will let you know who they have signed but what I will say is they currently work to a much younger audience
  • Options
    ceemageceemage Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Once I get the ok I will let you know who they have signed but what I will say is they currently work to a much younger audience

Just as long as it's not Jedward...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not those two idiots
  • Options
    Forum Member

From iRadio?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well the rumours are Keith from Phantom going to breakfast.
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I was growing up in the North of Ireland / Ulster during the 1980's, Rte Radio 2 (as it was called then) was a pleasant change from BBC Radio 1, mainly because there was less DJ talk between the records, no DLT, no Steve Wright, stuff like that,which is what I preferred myself personally.

Having said that, I did like John Peel in the evenings, again another personal choice.

For a while in the late 80s, due to the situation in the South, we did have a cupola good pirate stations beamed into the Beal Feirste audience, and I stopped listening to both BBC and RTE for a while.

Then in 1989, I had to ruin it all, by doing what all Padraigs do, and emigrate to County London for the work.

But for a while, there was the long wave and Atlantic 252 did what the pirates in the South had done for a few years before it became a bit s!!!e.

Nowadays, as I have said on another thread, I quite like BBC Radio 1 in the evenings, but otherwise I usually listen to my own recordings.

I sometimes listen to 2FM on the satellite, but really it is mostly old chat during the days with little music being played. Not my type of listen.

If it is going to get a make over, I will be interested but I doubt if I will listen regularly again mainly because I have got into the habit of playing my own music, rather than waiting to hear a song I may like from a radio station.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Larry Gogan for example, who's now into his 70's. Larry really should be on Radio 1 at this stage

Crazy thing is that he started on Radio Eireann which became RTE Radio One. I remember his "Discs A Gogan" show on there in the early 1970s
  • Options
    Maggie_KingMaggie_King Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I think Larry gogan would be perfect for RTE Radio 1, doing a proper golden hour of music from the 50s to 80s.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But for a while, there was the long wave and Atlantic 252 did what the pirates in the South had done for a few years before it became a bit s!!!e.

Yep, it was good until somebody decided to Bannister it :D
    I quite like BBC Radio 1 in the evenings

Bit old for that, surely ? :)

Thought BBC Radio 1 was for the 16-25 age group ?
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »

Thought BBC Radio 1 was for the 16-25 age group ?
    hmm it just about sneaks up as far as thirty or so. Certainly no older than that.
  • Options
    MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    gavindowd wrote: »
    Yes, us Irish listeners are certainly unique. A lot of the ILR's still carry 'death notices'! :o The stations in/and close to major cities are much more tightly formatted than the local stations.

But this is what makes Irish radio so great in my opinion.

I think a lot of the ILR stations (particularly outside the cities) cater to a similar audience to that which the BBC Local Stations serve in the UK.

The Death Notices are an odd feature, but I know several people who would never miss them.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    How much pop music did Radio Eireann play?

There were always stories of Irish nuns who used to listen to Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2 - i guess the Long Wave signal would have covered Ireland pretty well?
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Larry gogan would be perfect for RTE Radio 1, doing a proper golden hour of music from the 50s to 80s.

Is there any reason why he has remained on radio two up to this point? After so long is he considered pretty much untouchable in the way John Peel became in the UK?
  • Options
    alintonalinton Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    That's about the size of it. National Treasure etc.

And, 2FM is not going to be Bannistered. Far too many vested interests and people with 'pull' for that.

The is, however, going to be a movement of Titanic deck-chairs.

It's a pity, it really needs a Bannistering; however the boss of 2FM, Dan Healy, while being a good guy, ultimately won't have the unequivocal support such a move would need.

A.
  • Options
    chinamugchinamug Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    How much pop music did Radio Eireann play?

There were always stories of Irish nuns who used to listen to Terry Wogan on BBC Radio 2 - i guess the Long Wave signal would have covered Ireland pretty well?

Radio 2 had a huge listenership in Ireland in the 70's. The Long Wave Signal was easier to pick up in Cork than the MW from Athlone or Tullamore. Most people I knew at the time stuck with Radio 2 until Gay Byrne came on at 10 on RTE Radio.

There were one or two complaints from relatives of mine when Radio 4 appeared on LW instead. However, It was still easy enough to get Radio 2 on MW with a decent radio.