Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Everyone on here should watch last night's Googlebox which had them watching the CiN edition :D

That was quite good. The looks of disbelief were hilarious
    "Ooh I don't think many people will watch this". Fair play to the lad though, for nailing the fruit salad one.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kevin Eldon is well known to a particular age group who like a distinctive comedic style. It isn't for everyone, so why doesn't everyone just calm down and have some weak lemon drink!
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Kevin Eldon is well known to a particular age group who like a distinctive comedic style. It isn't for everyone, so why doesn't everyone just calm down and have some weak lemon drink!

Good peacekeeping. You know that Kofi Annan ? That's you, that is...
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More recently he has been in Stuart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. But I appriciate the Fist of fun reference (I hope that is correct!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Good peacekeeping. You know that Kofi Annan ? That's you, that is...

Coffee and a naan?
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They prep the gogglebox people with quiz answers when they film it whilst they watch game shows, FWIW.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    They prep the gogglebox people with quiz answers when they film it whilst they watch game shows, FWIW.

I thought the whole thing was said to be scripted?
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    I thought the whole thing was said to be scripted?

Anything apart from CCTV is 'scripted' according to people who just want to moan that a TV channel has had the audacity to commission a programme that They Personally have chosen not to like.

'Scripting' isn't binary- setting up a situation with the expectation that something specific will probably happen isn't the same as handing someone a sheet of words to read out at a specific time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Anything apart from CCTV is 'scripted' according to people who just want to moan that a TV channel has had the audacity to commission a programme that They Personally have chosen not to like.

'Scripting' isn't binary- setting up a situation with the expectation that something specific will probably happen isn't the same as handing someone a sheet of words to read out at a specific time.

I don't think it is anything to do with not liking the programme. It was reported that the programmes was scripted like many of the other 'reality' programmes.

The original reality programmes relied on the camera crews staying unobtrusive and recording what really happened without influencing it but they have evolved over the years to a few that stuck to those principles but most have moved away from that to a group people acting out a script.
  • SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »

Aside from age and location it's pretty much spot on for me.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I got 5 points in the Spice Girls one :)
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There been some right cock ups, she said well done Saturn rings, someone said huh Saturn rings haha
  • TregardTregard Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Wasn't a fan of the continuity announcer pretty much saying it was going to be a tiebreaker at the top of the show.

Really liked the 1p/3p/8p/18p Sequence, because it was so simple I couldn't possibly get it, I overthought it way too much. It was one of the best "A ha" moments of the series thus far.

Also the female bank-note sequence, thought that was quite snazzy. Better sequences than connections this week IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tregard wrote: »

Really liked the 1p/3p/8p/18p Sequence, because it was so simple I couldn't possibly get it, I overthought it way too much. It was one of the best "A ha" moments of the series thus far.

People often complain about simple questions but it is possible for people to be fooled because they are looking for something really subtle or complicated. And even better, a small child watching might spot the answer and get one up on their elders.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised they got the flotation aids one wrong ain't they heard of Mae West ?
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only things they got right was I have a co op account. That's it!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Surprised they got the flotation aids one wrong ain't they heard of Mae West?
    They had that, they just couldn't link the four together to get it. They got caught be a red herring answer I think.

The man who got the French horse race in the missing vowels round - well done!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I'd never heard of a 'noodle' as a flotation device!

The tiebreaker - would 'WINNER STAYS IN' have been accepted?
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I'd never heard of a 'noodle' as a flotation device!

The tiebreaker - would 'WINNER STAYS IN' have been accepted?
    A noodle is about 6 feet long and is a flexible rod made of polyethylene that you put across your chest, under your arms with the ends sticking out. Useful for other things as well if you need a solid round piece of polyethylene of any length - I use a piece of one as a support for doing needle lace.

The YouGov thing was way out for me, starting with me being a 71 year-old female living on the south coast. Lifestyle 2/6, personality 2/6, brands 1/5, entertainment 1/4, online 0, media 2/5.

Perhaps I should stop watching Only Connect then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    A noodle is about 6 feet long ...... - I use a piece of one as a support for doing needle lace.
    Doesn't it get terribly wet?
  • FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I got 5 points in the Spice Girls one :)

I got that after the second clue.

But I also got the fictional characters that have become widely used away from their source after two clues as well so I think that balances out my lowbrow and highbrow knowledge this week.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

Age is WAY off, and we live in Dublin, but my hubby works in Media and I work in Education, and we are ABC1, so they got that much right.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    People often complain about simple questions but it is possible for people to be fooled because they are looking for something really subtle or complicated. And even better, a small child watching might spot the answer and get one up on their elders.

I often use that example of why the show's so great- they'll get the question that it's the name of every seventh Spanish king's favourite dog translated into Latin then the letters re-arranged into alphabetical order on the first clue, but then they'll get "1, 2, 3" and then tie themselves in knots trying to get the last one because "4" would be too simple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    I often use that example of why the show's so great- they'll get the question that it's the name of every seventh Spanish king's favourite dog translated into Latin then the letters re-arranged into alphabetical order on the first clue, but then they'll get "1, 2, 3" and then tie themselves in knots trying to get the last one because "4" would be too simple.

Nice example!