Irish Premier Broadcasting Event - The Late Late Toy Show - Tonight

irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
Forum Member
✭✭
It's finally acceptable to put up the Christmas Tree and crack open a selection box, yes folks, The Late Late Toy Show is TONIGHT! Yipee!

It's set to be a supercalifragililsticezpialidocious night tonight, as The Late Late Toy Show goes Mary Poppins. Presented by Ryan Tubridy, who confirmed to RTÉ Ten yesterday that he will be dancing and singing at some stage during the show, the Toy Show is set to feature a record breaking 237 toys.

Ryan will also be joined for the first time by a co-host, Fergal Smith from Co Cavan, who wrote to Ryan asking him for a job on the show to help him get over his 'middle child syndrome'.

Throughout the show over 231 performers and demonstrators will take to the stage, with 34 of them performing a very special opening number from Mary Poppins.

So the Irish Broadcasting event of the year kicks off at 09:30 on RTÉ ONE & rte.ie (worldwide), the top progamme of the year on a continuous basis for which nearly the whole country watches (often topping over 1.5 million viewers). I can't but tune in every year and we all know from tonight at 09:30 Christmas has officially began!... Happy Christmas everyone :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Context please. For the uninitiated, what is "The Late Late Toy Show"?
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this show, for the uninitiated, ie my British friends, The Late Late Show is an Irish tv institution. Every Friday night, since the days when Norton and Ross were mere glints in their dad`s eyes, it has featured some amazing guests. The Christmas toy version is basically just that, weans (kids/children) try out the various toys, it was presented by Gay Byrne (stop that...) originally. It really does signal the start of the Christmas season over here.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas!
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About to start now for anyone interested in the UK or further afield on rte.ie ..... Ha the toy show is like a kid being let loose in santas workshop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    )Wait for the jumper :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I missed it! I was watching I'm A Celebrity. Mind you, I'm too old for toys and there are no kids in my house so I don't think I missed much :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed it! I was watching I'm A Celebrity. Mind you, I'm too old for toys and there are no kids in my house so I don't think I missed much :p
    Haha its very very Irish - you couldn't bate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy Jesus near jumped out of my seat when Bosco appeared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy Jesus near jumped out of my seat when Bosco appeared.
    They have to have at least one puppet on the show - tubs dont like Dustin because he'd only take the piss out of him :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    They have to have at least one puppet on the show - tubs dont like Dustin because he'd only take the piss out of him :)

True, Gay Byrne tried to get him banned though!

Poor wee Robert Keane was nearly in tears, I wonder if it was because of the noise.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Irish Broadcasting event of the year kicks off at 09:30 on RTÉ ONE & rte.ie (worldwide), the top progamme of the year on a continuous basis for which nearly the whole country watches (often topping over 1.5 million viewers).

Says more about Irish television than anything else, to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, Gay Byrne tried to get him banned though!

Poor wee Robert Keane was nearly in tears, I wonder if it was because of the noise.
    Are you sure about that? he used to appear almost every single year during Byrne and Kenny's tenure... for some reason though since tubs took the reigns he has failed to appear even once - it seems like he does not like the banter.

Yeah we were wondering about Keane's son too - the mother reckoned the kid was crying beforehand behind the stage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Its an Irish institution - like children in need, the queens speech or something like that .... Did you watch it? :)
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're still brave enough to do everything live though. Their two top chat shows both go out live at the weekend (one of which is two hours long). The equivalent shows in the UK like Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross are pre-recorded days in advance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah we were wondering about Keane's son too - the mother reckoned the kid was crying beforehand behind the stage.

I've heard rumours their marriage may not be all it's cracked to be btw : talk of affairs on his part and suggestions she married him for status as much as anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    They're still brave enough to do everything live though. Their two top chat shows both go out live at the weekend (one of which is two hours long). The equivalent shows in the UK like Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross are pre-recorded days in advance.
    Yeah I would say RTE are one of very few who do the chat shows live - there has been many moments where this has backfired on RTE, remember how many times people attacked Pat the Plank :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard rumours their marriage may not be all it's cracked to be btw : talk of affairs on his part and suggestions she married him for status as much as anything else.
    Dont know anything about that but christ the wife is stunning, gorgeous woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I would say RTE are one of very few who do the chat shows live - there has been many moments where this has backfired on RTE, remember how many times people attacked Pat the Plank :)

It makes for far better television though.....there's always an edge to the interviews as you don't know what's coming next.

I'd say Pat Kenny has nightmares about that nutter who stormed the set :)
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh quieten down will you. Some of the things that get the top ratings in the UK is absolute dross
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes for far better television though.....there's always an edge to the interviews as you don't know what's coming next.

I'd say Pat Kenny has nightmares about that nutter who stormed the set :)
    Sure it happened load of times on the Frontline - remember when Jack O'Connor told him his was an example of a trophy house and Pat got all upset and a person from the audience just started roaring at him too :) . I actually prefer Kenny to tubs though - tubs just can't interview well, remember he asking during the biggest financial crisis in Irish history "so Taoiseach do you drink too much?"

I agree with you about live television being better - remember The Panel, it used to be a great show going out live but RTÉ then decided to record it and it somehow lost its spark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure about that? he used to appear almost every single year during Byrne and Kenny's tenure... for some reason though since tubs took the reigns he has failed to appear even once - it seems like he does not like the banter.

I don't think that he really did but every year it was a standing joke, Gay would always say about how they told him Dustin wouldn't be allowed in this year.

They do occasionally record parts, when Steven Gerrard was on it last year to promote a charity event his part was recorded as he had a match the next day.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I love this show, for the uninitiated, ie my British friends, The Late Late Show is an Irish tv institution. Every Friday night, since the days when Norton and Ross were mere glints in their dad`s eyes, it has featured some amazing guests. The Christmas toy version is basically just that, weans (kids/children) try out the various toys, it was presented by Gay Byrne (stop that...) originally. It really does signal the start of the Christmas season over here.

I remember that Channel 4 used to show it sometimes when Gay Byrne was the presenter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I remember that Channel 4 used to show it sometimes when Gay Byrne was the presenter

It was actually on Channel Four for many years : 1984-1999 or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to put it into perspective, if you go on other years (about 1.5 million people watching at some point) then that would equate with 20.2 million people watching the one programme on the one channel in the UK - the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony had a 27 million peak - (probably the biggest British sporting event in a generation)..... those are staggering viewing figures for a toy show :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that he really did but every year it was a standing joke, Gay would always say about how they told him Dustin wouldn't be allowed in this year.

They do occasionally record parts, when Steven Gerrard was on it last year to promote a charity event his part was recorded as he had a match the next day.
    Steven Gerrard - dear god you'd have to record him and try edit out that Liverpool speel - needless to say I didn't watch ;) ... yeah some interviews, particularly non-entertainment related stories where the guest would probably break down quiet a bit are recorded.