The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
Forum Member
Well here we go again folks. It seems customary to start the new thread once the previous years edition is released.

Last years Cover: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-06/radio-times-christmas-cover-2013-revealed

The copy should be due out in the South East on Saturday 6th December 2014. The christmas edition will span from Saturday 20th December 2014 until Friday 2nd January 2015.

I predict the price to be £3.50

Hopefully the Cover Competition will commence in November 2014 - TBC (many thanks to Clare's Dad for running this as it's much appreciated and a bit of good fun

I look forward to all the festive chat and banter throughout the year.

Comments

• Tigger2013Tigger2013 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Great to see this thread up
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batfink wrote: »
    Well here we go again folks. It seems customary to start the new thread once the previous years edition is released.

Last years Cover: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-06/radio-times-christmas-cover-2013-revealed

The copy should be due out in the South East on Saturday 6th December 2014. The christmas edition will span from Saturday 20th December 2014 until Friday 2nd January 2015.

I predict the price to be £3.50

Hopefully the Cover Competition will commence in November 2014 - TBC (many thanks to Clare's Dad for running this as it's much appreciated and a bit of good fun

It's customary to start the thread once everyone has received their copy! You're a few days early. People need to digest the contents of this years magazine first. But, since it's here, I guess it's happening! Merry Christmas 2013 everyone. I will post in this thread next year!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It's customary to start the thread once everyone has received their copy!

I thought that rule had been revoked after the postal copies debacle of a couple of years ago when many subscribers received their copy late or even after Christmas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I thought that rule had been revoked after the postal copies debacle of a couple of years ago when many subscribers received their copy late or even after Christmas?

I think it was always a gentlemans agreement that the next countdown thread would be started once the regular thread contributors had received their copy. Otherwise the thread is started as a jest and not a pleasure. But now it is merely a race to see who can start it first!
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Yes, as a subscriber, there's no 2013 copy here yet!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way the circulation is dropping it probably won't be around in 2014:D
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New thread! :D
  • digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I predict the cover will be the snowdog with snowman & santa in background and an application form inside for broadcasters to bid for the following years cover!
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    So here it is The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread everybody's having fun ! Look to the future now its only just begun !
  • maddogscottmaddogscott Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Right! i'm getting in here on the ground floor. Just got my Radio Times copy today in Scotland. Probably speak to you all around September when Strictly starts. have a good one
  • Andycoll14Andycoll14 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'm going to predict a Miranda hart cover with her sat on santas knee in a grotto!
  • bruce9651bruce9651 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Got mine today in Poole Dorset. :)
  • AllanAllan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Well here we go again folks. It seems customary to start the new thread once the previous years edition is released...

Well done for starting this Batfink! I kicked off the 2013 countdown but got well and truly pasted by the "get a life" brigade so I was too much of a coward to do it again! It's great and I look forward to the thread developing through the year. It goes so quickly!
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry for being a little premature in starting it. Was never meaning to offend anyone or break any gentlemen's agreement. In hindsight should have probably waited another week.

Apologies again.

Let's just hope in 11 and 1/2 months time we have a more original cover than this years with a little more thought going into it. It's a little annoying. Especially given the fact that the 2013 edition makes a big deal of discussing and recreating classic covers from years gone by. You would have thought there may have been something more special this year.

I would love to see a real 'retro' style cover for 2014.

Anyway, look forward to another year of discussion
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    bruce9651 wrote: »
    Got mine today in Poole Dorset. :)

Bloody hell, gotta be the record there. How's the cover and line up :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allan wrote: »
    Well done for starting this Batfink! I kicked off the 2013 countdown but got well and truly pasted by the "get a life" brigade so I was too much of a coward to do it again! It's great and I look forward to the thread developing through the year. It goes so quickly!

Allan, the baton passes to Batfink. You clearly did "get a life" and became a fan of the Countdown thread! Perhaps you can have the honour of starting next years thread, once everyone has received their copy, (around Tuesday 9th December 2014). Merry Christmas to you. Have a good one.
    I'm sorry for being a little premature in starting it. Was never meaning to offend anyone or break any gentlemen's agreement. In hindsight should have probably waited another week.

Apologies again.

Let's just hope in 11 and 1/2 months time we have a more original cover than this years with a little more thought going into it. It's a little annoying. Especially given the fact that the 2013 edition makes a big deal of discussing and recreating classic covers from years gone by. You would have thought there may have been something more special this year.

I would love to see a real 'retro' style cover for 2014.

Anyway, look forward to another year of discussion

Batfink, no need to apologise. You did nowt to apologise for. Just because some of us oldies are die hard traditionalists who still think A Christmas Carol is a new release doesn't mean other people can't have a bit of fun and anticipate a bit of festive cheer! Good luck with your thread. If it's as friendly and enjoyable as the 2013 thread was it will be a mighty fine thread indeed!
    You also have a very merry Christmas and a peaceful, prosperous New Year. See you again in this thread once News of 2014's Christmas offerings are announced. Although we already know one.

BBC1 are to show a BBC in-house production of the Roald Dahl fantasy Esio Trot starring Judi Dench and Dustin Hoffman! Yes, Dustin Hoffman! How cool is that? See you all soon.
  • AllanAllan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Excellent post wizzywick! I have added Tuesday 9th December 2014 to my iCal celendar and will kick it all off again ... unless someone beats me to it!

Very best wishes for this Christmas!
  • CoolElvisCoolElvis Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Just bookmarking my place. 2013 listngs start in 3 days. Looking forward to monday and christmas eve night on bbc 1. Hope John Bishop's Christmas Show is a good one.

Look forward to another year of build up. In the meantime hope you all enjoy this Christmas and New Year and the televisual delights.
  • smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2013 thread had over 206,000 views and 1503 replies. :o
    I wonder how many views/replies this year's will have.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another 20p price increase now £1.80 and not even an apology or excuse for the price rise just subscribe and get a book!

Beginning to think they pricing themselves out of the market - the amount of Christmas issues of RT left in my local supermarkets is emabarrasing
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checking the price was the first thing I did when my copy came through the letterbox. :blush: I notice they've given all the non-listings pages a new look.
  • Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am going to have to complain to RT. £1.80 for a weekly listings magazine is too much.

It has gone up from £1.20 to £1.80 in 3 years.

Whos gonna pay £2.00 in 2015 ?
  • Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Checking the price was the first thing I did when my copy came through the letterbox. :blush: I notice they've given all the non-listings pages a new look.

Horrible gaudy pink headers on the non-listings pages! :o

And now the listings pages themselves dont match the rest of the magazine.

Plus another 20p price increase for the 3rd year running. RIP RT.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another 20p increase - the third since 2012. This is getting silly now. £1.80 for a TV Guide?

Surley they are shooting themselves in the foot as the number of readers will fall further?

RT only ever used to rise by 5p or 10p at the most before 2011.

Why dont they just have a 10p increase and give over 3 or 4 more pages to advertisments?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    The annual 20p rise is now beyond a joke. It seems like the RT is jumping on the bandwagon of just about every other company that charges for a product or service. Just keep pumping up prices because after a little moan they know people will carry on paying.
    Someone will realise soon that we dont have a bottomless pit of money and something has to give.
    Non essentials like RT will be one of the first items to go in my household.