SAW films on Channel 4 - cut ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I see that Channel 4 are showing the first three SAW films next week.
The only one I've seen is the first one on DVD.
Didn't think much of it.
My question is this - Will it be cut by C4 ?
SAW 2 was shown by C4. How censored was it ?
What was cut out ?

Comments

• ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 are film makers , and do not tend to cut any film they show .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the first two Saw movies were on 4 I don't think they were cut at all, as far as I can remember (I'd seen them on DVD about a month earlier). Channel 4 might cut The Simpsons at 6pm but I believe that they show movies uncut, just shift them to a later timeslot if they're gory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind Lionsgate always do a theatrical release and then an extended edition a year later. Broadcasters will likely only have the choice of the theatrical release, so if you want to see extended versions, such as director cuts, then DVD or BD is the best bet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mal wrote: »
    Bear in mind Lionsgate always do a theatrical release and then an extended edition a year later. Broadcasters will likely only have the choice of the theatrical release, so if you want to see extended versions, such as director cuts, then DVD or BD is the best bet.
    I've only seen the first one and from what I've read, the theatrical version in the UK was the longest uncut version. They then released the cut version on DVD for some reason. :confused: But at the same time as the uncut version so it's all good. :D

There's also a director's edited version released a year after as well I think but it's a tiny bit shorter so the uncut version is the longest anyway.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoton2 wrote: »
    I've only seen the first one and from what I've read, the theatrical version in the UK was the longest uncut version.
    That's my impression, too. When I watched the DVDs this time last year, I remembered the supposed extra bits from seeing it in the cinema. It's American cinemas that get the cut version.
  • tackycommenttackycomment Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    C4 are unlikely to censor any film from its 18 version so if the BBFC passed it uncut thats what you'll get.

C4 have rarely ever cut films intended for adult viewing.

Even daytime screenings of older films play with language like "shit" left in.

C4 take a common sense view regarding the time slot and the likely audience
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Oh good!! i love these films, think i just seen the first 2 though,,so i record em all..How many are there altogether ? I hope they show em all at some point..:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I've found that the uncut "Extreme" versions of the later sequels (Saw IV and V) are much better than the theatrical versions that Sky and C4 show. The editing no longer appears to have been done by an epileptic with ADD and you can actually see what's happening to the victims.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    Oh good!! i love these films, think i just seen the first 2 though,,so i record em all..How many are there altogether ?
    The sixth will be in British cinemas in time for Halloween. They've been doing one a year since they started.

Each of them is flawed, but I like them all, except perhaps the fifth, where it is starting to stretch my credulity a bit too far. I'm quite apprehensive about the latest one as it seems they are determined to spin the story out well beyond it's natural length, just for the money.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    The sixth will be in British cinemas in time for Halloween. They've been doing one a year since they started.

Each of them is flawed, but I like them all, except perhaps the fifth, where it is starting to stretch my credulity a bit too far. I'm quite apprehensive about the latest one as it seems they are determined to spin the story out well beyond it's natural length, just for the money.

When i went to see Saw V at the cinemas last year i hated it, but upon re-watching it the other day it was actually pretty good (by Saw sequel standards anyway). They definitely get worse with each film though, but it was still very watchable.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Saw & Saw II when ch4 last showed them & i don't remember anything being cut from them.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How gruesome are these films, on a scale of 1 - 10? Was thinking of watching tonight, but won't if there is a lot of gore.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If you don't like gore then the Saw films are probably not for you...

Can't wait for Saw 6, then Saw 7 next year that will be in 3D, and then at least one more is coming after that, but two are rumoured.
  • _nomad__nomad_ Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How gruesome are these films, on a scale of 1 - 10? Was thinking of watching tonight, but won't if there is a lot of gore.

I've only seen it once but from what I remember, the original isn't actually all that gory.
    Avoid the second one if you're squeamish though.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member

The first isn't that gore filled but it is very intense.They do get gorier with every sequel though.I think the twists,mixed with the editing is what make these movies hard to sit through and addictive at the same time.
    If you don't like gore then the Saw films are not for you...

Can't wait for Saw 6, then Saw 7 next year that will be in 3D, and then at least one more is coming after that, but two are rumoured.

They are probably waiting to see what money this one makes before giving the greenlight.2 more are inevitable in my opinion though.

This one seems like it's being subtly billed/produced as if it's Jigsaw's final movie,and I believe Tobin Bell signed on for 3 more movies (when Saw 3 was made).
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IV and V were pretty bad, especially V, but that's only as less people from the original are involved. I-III still kept the same writers.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:) I'm going to be watching tonight.I haven't seen any of them before.I watched 'Hostel' once.That was pretty gory.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If you can sit through rubbish like Hostel, the gore in the first Saw should be no problem.
    They are probably waiting to see what money this one makes before giving the greenlight.2 more are inevitable in my opinion though.

Producer Mark Burg of Twisted Pictures recemtly had to say, "We're definitely making [part] seven. We're shooting in January and it's going to be in 3-D." "The storyline that we started in five and carries through six ends in SAW VIII," says Burg. "Where it goes beyond that I couldn't tell you. In my mind and Oren [Koules]' mind, we have the story threaded through part eight. I can't tell you the franchise will continue after that."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year when they were shown they were uncut.
    I love the Saw franchise I do, but i'm worried they going to go into overkill territory.
    I hope they don't but I fear they will.
    I remember seeing the first four at the cinema and loving them, five was ok, now i'm just worried they are going to go into overdrive and ruin it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started watching it and the logos at the beginning are completely different from my DVD versions. This is from me seeing the uncut R2 dvd and the uncut R1 DVD (the newly remastered director's cut one). The Lionsgate logo is different and the Channel 4 one has no mention of Twisted Pictures. Instead there's a logo for another company I can't remember the name of right now.

Why's this then? Anyone know? :confused:

EDIT: The other company was "Evolution Entertainment" and Wikipedia lists it as a studio, along with "Twisted Pictures". Where did Channel 4 get their copy from then I wonder.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :) I'm going to be watching tonight.I haven't seen any of them before.I watched 'Hostel' once.That was pretty gory.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I chickened out in the end. :eek: :D
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coward!!!!

I have them all on DVD after seeing the first on holiday in January but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. I don't know whether to catch them on the telly in HD with the ads spoiling them or watch in good old SD on DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw is one of my favourite franchises, I like that they follow on and have some continuity, they don't pander to people who haven't seen the previous films. Particularly with Saw IV where, if you hadn't seen Saw III, the twist would make absolutely no sense. After the blinding twist of Saw (I did NOT see that coming) the twist of Saw IV is my next favourite, in that I had to rethink what I'd just seen.

Another test for me is whether I have a blinding headache after seeing it at the cinema. Saw V is the only one where the visuals didn't make my head throb. Lets hope they try harder for VI. :D Can't wait.
    Forum Member
    Coward!!!!

I have them all on DVD after seeing the first on holiday in January but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. I don't know whether to catch them on the telly in HD with the ads spoiling them or watch in good old SD on DVD.

I don't think C4 are showing the first 2 in HD, at least they weren't last time i checked the info banner. Saw III probably will be though.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I don't think C4 are showing the first 2 in HD, at least they weren't last time i checked the info banner. Saw III probably will be though.

The Sky Guide has Saw II listed as being in HD.:)