BBC3 scheduling - The Incredibles at 11.10pm?

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
About to start in 15 mins, BBC3 would normally show kids films at 7pm so why stick it on so late?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit wierd too. I'm sure they did the same the other week too.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's a good film for all ages. It was shown the other day at so I guess this is just a filler repeat.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, just put it on now - this should get the record for latest time an animated film has been shown
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) They should show Bridge To Terabithia again.It was on,on Christmas day.Saddest film i've seen in years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly is not full screen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now it is ...........great:)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Oddly is not full screen

Well, it's cropped to 16:9 like the Xmas Day broadcast. The only bit where it's 2.35:1 is where the name briefly appears. I hate the BBC for still not getting with the time. C4 managed this from Dec 2007.

And I don't expect ITV or Five to ever get a clue about how to broadcast films properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Now it is ...........great:)

What's great about losing 1/4 of the animation? The whole point of showing a film properly would be to show the whole thing. To show it in 16:9 means you lose part of the animation they've spent a long time working on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Three is now a more iPlayer channel, showing it means it's available on the iPlayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    What's great about losing 1/4 of the animation? The whole point of showing a film properly would be to show the whole thing. To show it in 16:9 means you lose part of the animation they've spent a long time working on.
    I think they meant why was the beginning "old film" part not filling the 16:9 frame, thinking it was all going to be in 4:3 and BBC3 were broadcasting it with pillars, like they have done accidentally with Family Guy.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit wierd too. I'm sure they did the same the other week too.

Yes they put High School Musical on at 11pm :confused:
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the Jonas brothers' film was on pretty late one time I remember. Whatever, people are still going to watch it at that time, the BBC know this. The Incredibles will definitely get viewers at past 11pm.
  • AofGAofG Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    :) They should show Bridge To Terabithia again.It was on,on Christmas day.Saddest film i've seen in years.

I know! It pretty much made me cry...
    My normally emotional mother sat there with dry eyes however. :) It's like the fate of fictional characters doesn't matter!! ;)
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the most bizarre scheduling of a Pixar movie I've ever seen on terestrial TV.

Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favourite movies and I've no compaints but what a strange time slot.

More of the same, please, BBC3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    It has been shown several times on the BBC since Christmas and has been available on iplayer for around 3 weeks now. Obviously having paid a lot of money for the rights the BBC are making sure they get their moneys worth.
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about you guys, but I love this kind of scheduling. It's nice to get to this time of night when I usually have to resort to a dvd to then find something fun and watchable on tv instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoton2 wrote: »
    I think they meant why was the beginning "old film" part not filling the 16:9 frame, thinking it was all going to be in 4:3 and BBC3 were broadcasting it with pillars, like they have done accidentally with Family Guy.

Ah, I see what you mean.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's a good film for all ages. It was shown the other day at so I guess this is just a filler repeat.
    Also known as cost cutting bollox.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it's cropped to 16:9 like the Xmas Day broadcast. The only bit where it's 2.35:1 is where the name briefly appears. I hate the BBC for still not getting with the time. C4 managed this from Dec 2007.

And I don't expect ITV or Five to ever get a clue about how to broadcast films properly.

If by 'getting a clue' you mean showing a film as though you're looking through the wrong end of a telescope, then I'm with the BBC on this.

As for losing '1/4' of the movie as you mentioned in your other post; what about losing all that exquisite detail they've spent all that computer time rendering?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    If by 'getting a clue' you mean showing a film as though you're looking through the wrong end of a telescope, then I'm with the BBC on this.

Please go and look up aspect ratios. Going from 16:9 to 2.35:1 is not that big a deal in terms of how much space on the screen the film takes up. Plus, you get to see everything that's going on.
    As for losing '1/4' of the movie as you mentioned in your other post; what about losing all that exquisite detail they've spent all that computer time rendering?

Erm... that's exactly the problem. And you've proved it. Thankyou. :rolleyes:
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Erm... that's exactly the problem. And you've proved it. Thankyou. :rolleyes:

With letterbox display you're only utilising about 75% of the available resolution and screen area of the channel, compared with full-screen.

16:9 gives you a net gain in picture detail.

I think however this might be personal preference where 'artistic integrity' might be more important than technical quality...

(I had a glimpse of a recording of it earlier, it looks great in 16:9, at least compared with the poorly copied -- and letterboxed -- pirate DVD I had (which was also in Italian only so didn't help))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Complete and total filler as pointed out above. If I was desperate to see it again I'd buy the DVD. The BBC has a back catalog of decent shows to choose from which it could air instead, so why are they showing this (albeit in the wrong time slot for the film's target audiences too)? I've seen the film and it's fairly average. From a "comedy" perspective, it certainly lived up to the expectations of most animated films i.e it wasn't funny in the slightest.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Incredibles is a fantastic film (it's Pixar and Brad Bird directing, come on) and if the BBC have paid out for the rights let them show it whenever! I hope they do the same with every Pixar film from now on. Stuff like Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up are definitely suitable for a later slot. Pixar always do a great job of making their films good enough for all ages.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the blu-ray release of this film more than any other.

I'm not sure why, but I am.
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Yes a very odd time for BBC3 to be showing 'The Incredibles'. I've noticed BBC3 have been showing a fair number of films in primetime slots most days in recent weeks, especially at weekends. Perhaps they just had a couple of hours to fill.

It sure beats regular repeats of Two Pints of Lager & A Packet of Crisps :)