Options

Apple Watch

Comments

• Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Your criteria for a watch is to be a quality timepiece.

So is that quality as in spending 4 figured sums on the piece, or just reasonably good high street stuff - ie. would any of the Fossil/branded watches be okay as long as you like the design?

That is why I went for the SE MBW-150. Its a fairly traditional design analogue watch that happens to also have a small OLED screen running along the bottom. There is virtually no hint that it is anything other than a regular watch .... that can also act as a remote for your music player, display your texts or inform you of an incoming call.

But then I did also buy it as it was massively discounted ....

My current watch is a swiss watch (a limited edition Tag Heuer). I have had it for around 9 years. Unfortunately I didnt get it serviced regularly, so its now losing around 3 mins a month. I did get it serviced around 6 months ago, that did improve matters, but not much (was losing around 5 mins a month). It was my own fault for not getting it serviced regularly. It really annoys me if my watch does not tell the right time.

A watch is the only luxury item I buy thats just for me. For this reason I dont think I would buy one of the high street brands. There are plenty of watches I like that are made to last a very long time. So when I do buy a new watch, it will most likely be another swiss made watch.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    ..so its now losing around 3 mins a month.
    Check inside to see if there is an adjustment arm.

Was surprised to see one in my old timex LCD which I then adjusted to near 1 second per month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Check inside to see if there is an adjustment arm.

Was surprised to see one in my old timex LCD which I then adjusted to near 1 second per month.

Unfortunately no adjustment arm. :(
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    That is why I went for the SE MBW-150. Its a fairly traditional design analogue watch that happens to also have a small OLED screen running along the bottom. There is virtually no hint that it is anything other than a regular watch .... that can also act as a remote for your music player, display your texts or inform you of an incoming call.

Interesting..... I think for my first dabble in this I'll want a full-size screen. Then when I know how much I actually use it, I can decide if there's any value in a one line ticker. My gut says it has little value for me tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike that Sharp loan deal which obviously gave Apple a major supply of cheap screens, this Apple loan ended in bankruptcy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carlodonnell/2014/10/06/severe-breakdown-in-apple-relationship-cripples-gt-advanced-technologies-analysts-say/

I guess unlike screen tech, sapphire production is immature and thus classed as high risk. Maybe Apple will take over the company but that would mean that the manufacturing facility is financially viable, which sounds unlikely.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current watch is a swiss watch (a limited edition Tag Heuer). I have had it for around 9 years. Unfortunately I didnt get it serviced regularly, so its now losing around 3 mins a month. I did get it serviced around 6 months ago, that did improve matters, but not much (was losing around 5 mins a month). It was my own fault for not getting it serviced regularly. It really annoys me if my watch does not tell the right time.

A watch is the only luxury item I buy thats just for me. For this reason I dont think I would buy one of the high street brands. There are plenty of watches I like that are made to last a very long time. So when I do buy a new watch, it will most likely be another swiss made watch.

Hi I'm very similar to yourself I like the watches I buy to go well with not only casual clothing but when I'm wearing a suit for work. A quality time piece I think always gives a good impression and these smart watches to me just don't cut it for me at moment they certainly wouldn't look right with a suit. I currently own a Tag myself and a high end Seiko watch say what you about the Japanese but they make quality time pieces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Hi I'm very similar to yourself I like the watches I buy to go well with not only casual clothing but when I'm wearing a suit for work. A quality time piece I think always gives a good impression and these smart watches to me just don't cut it for me at moment they certainly wouldn't look right with a suit. I currently own a Tag myself and a high end Seiko watch say what you about the Japanese but they make quality time pieces.

I have had a look at the new smartwatches and I havent changed my mind they are not my thing. I bought a replacement for my tag a couple of months ago now. Its a nice chunky watch about a 1.5cm thick. Quite the opposite of the current smartwatch trend. Its also a basicish watch face i.e. its not a chronograph like my tag was.

For me a watch should look like a watch, these smartwatches dont. Apart from the samsung gear s and the moto 360 which has a more traditional watch face and design. But then I dont the look of either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...For me a watch should look like a watch...
    Watch calculators have a niche popularity. But I can't quite understand the wish for a tiny smartwatch screen.
    It will be just like smartphones. Those who make the most use of smartphones adopted phablets and multi-screen years ago.

I see smartwatches being the same. A big and usable phabwatch is what will eventually be bought from those who make the most use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watch calculators have a niche popularity. But I can't quite understand the wish for a tiny smartwatch screen.
    It will be just like smartphones. Those who make the most use of smartphones adopted phablets and multi-screen years ago.

I see smartwatches being the same. A big and usable phabwatch is what will eventually be bought from those who make the most use.

I agree with you on the size of the watch face. Is it really usable? I doubt it. If someone sends you a long text message, I would imagine it would be easier to just use your phone, then scrolling through a long message.

I am not really sure what a smartwatch can offer over having a smartphone in your pocket.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, 18 months on I remain unconvinced by smartwatches (of any sort).

That said, I am finding an NFC wristband v handy (https://www.bpayband.co.uk ) so for some things I can see the attraction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Well, 18 months on I remain unconvinced by smartwatches (of any sort).

That said, I am finding an NFC wristband v handy (https://www.bpayband.co.uk ) so for some things I can see the attraction.

The key why that seems useful, is because there is nothing to read on a really small display and there is no need to interact with a display of any kind. You just wave the band over a reader and job done.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iWatch will not have the health monitoring features due to the sensors not performing consistently. The iWatch is due out in April and will no doubt have eager fans Queuing round the block.
    Some of those features, like the ability to track stress and blood pressure, were simply too complex to institute, or ran the risk of triggering government regulation that the company wanted to avoid. In other cases, sensor makers weren’t able to meet Apple’s standards (not an uncommon phenomenon).

The report says that the sensors for some features performed very inconsistently, with a host of unpredictable variables—ranging from tightness of the watch band to hairiness of the wearer’s arm—could lead to incorrect readings.

With some of the most interesting features now on the chopping block, the Journal claims that Apple’s executive team was left without much of a direction for the device and wondering what would draw customers to it.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/16/apple-watch-health-features-cut/
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    huwdw wrote: »

Hmm. So Apple saw that Sony watch in the last couple of months, and are ripping it off with their own phone due out in April? They haven't spent the last few years developing it, and haven't already unveiled it months before the Sony one came out? :p

Trouble with any of these smartwatches is (at least) threefold:

1. its a challenge to get something big enough to be useful, but small enough to look good on your wrist.

2. if, as Apple seem to be, you are aiming for the high end watch market, its a challenge to make something digital as appealing as a mid to high end analogue watch.

3. its a challenge to give make it better at enough things than either a dedicated fitness band, or a smartphone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    and many will defend every single feature of it on here just because its Apple.

Will they?

And how many people will make the mistake of thinking anyone who thinks anything post about Apple only thinks so because_its_Apple?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the epitaph for the very old Microsoft Watch.
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/time-runs-out-on-microsofts-spot-watches/

It was receive only and just maybe only available in the US(it sent data via FM radio). The subscription fee killed it. Noticably a few of the fitness band manufacturers are bringing in subscriptions to make their bands a bit more useful.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Will they?

And how many people will make the mistake of thinking anyone who thinks anything post about Apple only thinks so because_its_Apple?

Yeah, they will.

Just like it will happen the other way as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the epitaph for the very old Microsoft Watch.
    http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/time-runs-out-on-microsofts-spot-watches/

It was receive only and just maybe only available in the US(it sent data via FM radio). The subscription fee killed it. Noticably a few of the fitness band manufacturers are bringing in subscriptions to make their bands a bit more useful.

Didn't know about that possibly because it was only available in the USA. A bit ahead of its time.

http://www.smartwatchnews.org/2004-microsoft-spot-watch-smartwatch/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yeah, they will.

Just like it will happen the other way as well.

Maybe I don't read the right forums then.

I don't see people posting here about anything Apple related simply "because its Apple".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iWatch will not have some health monitoring features due to the sensors not performing consistently. The iWatch is due out in April and will no doubt have eager fans Queuing round the block.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/16/apple-watch-health-features-cut/

Fixed your post for you. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fixed your post for you. :p

Its amazing how you only pop up consistently on Apple threads. Have you got any other interests?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its amazing how you only pop up consistently on Apple threads. Have you got any other interests?

You've managed to miss the point, and get in a petty personal dig.

Where else on the entire internet have you looked?

Would you like me to post about stuff here I have no experience of?

If I'm guilty of anything, it's being drawn to subjects that a lot of nonsense gets written about. I guess Apple happens to be one of those subjects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can believe that the Gold iWatch could be that talked up $3000 limited edition.

I sense it needs to be somehow exclusive, and worn by celebrities in 2015
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've managed to miss the point, and get in a petty personal dig.

Where else on the entire internet have you looked?

Would you like me to post about stuff here I have no experience of?

If I'm guilty of anything, it's being drawn to subjects that a lot of nonsense gets written about. I guess Apple happens to be one of those subjects.

Yes you do have a talent for that :p
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can believe that the Gold iWatch could be that talked up $3000 limited edition.

I sense it needs to be somehow exclusive, and worn by celebrities in 2015

It would be no surprise if the most expensive AppleWatch was $3000+. I don't understand your celebrities comment, do you think it is only celebrities that wear expensive watches?

You shouldn't judge others by your standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you do have a talent for that :p

Being drawn to subjects that other people write a lot of nonsense about?

Yes, I know - that's what I just said. Glad you agree for once.