Why do I have to let them in my home??????

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I do now cos the same bloke came back and left another red letter.
    There's a very simple way to put a stop to this - next time he comes to your door, invite him in and show him that you don't need a TV licence. As others have already advised you, you are not obliged to let him in, but doing so would put an end to the matter. I guess it depends on whether you really do want to resolve this problem. (Of course, letting him in would be silly if you're not being entirely honest about not needing a TV licence).
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote: »
    There's a very simple way to put a stop to this - next time he comes to your door, invite him in and show him that you don't need a TV licence.

While you are at it, you could do the same with kitchen salesmen.

Oh what the hell, do it with all doorstep salesmen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

I can honestly say that I've only had one cold-caller in the past three or four years, and they were collecting for the Red Cross. It's odd that people who don't have a TV seem to get so many other callers that they have to resort to CCTV and hiding in the house when someone comes to the door.

Perhaps it would be easier just to pay for a TV Licence and live your lives in the open like other people...
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »

Makes you smile that some of the people on DS would give these salesmen more rights and powers than the police have.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Makes you smile that some of the people on DS would give these salesmen more rights and powers than the police have.

Except you wouldn't be.
    Forum Member
    I can honestly say that I've only had one cold-caller in the past three or four years, and they were collecting for the Red Cross. It's odd that people who don't have a TV seem to get so many other callers that they have to resort to CCTV and hiding in the house when someone comes to the door.

Perhaps it would be easier just to pay for a TV Licence and live your lives in the open like other people...

Why pay for something that is not needed
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Except you wouldn't be.

Would you be happy at giving people who work for G4s the same rights as the police
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,910
    Forum Member

The basis of this thread and the arguements put forward in support of it are based on a false premise.

No doubt some contributers refuse to pay water rates as they only drink bottled water and bathe in asses milk.

They are time wasters, something like the sort you see of person you see on the various road traffic programmes. Who get stopped for not having a rear light, get outraged, and suprise suprise it excaslates to driving while banned, without insurance etc.

I wonder if some of these people refuse to pay car insurance because they've never had an accident.
    Forum Member
    Would you be happy at giving people who work for G4s the same rights as the police

Do G4S staff have the same rights as the police, if not then sadly your question is a complete red herring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You said you would be giving them more rights than the police. You wouldn't actually be giving them any rights. I'm sure that doesn't fit your drama.
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Do G4S staff have the same rights as the police, if not then sadly your question is a complete red herring.

No they dont, and i dont think the public would ever agree to it, People who dont allow tv license into there homes are doing nothing wrong, And are within there rights and are not breaking any laws.
    Forum Member
    You said you would be giving them more rights than the police. You wouldn't actually be giving them any rights. I'm sure that doesn't fit your drama.

People who dont allow them in are acting within the law, and are doing nothing wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who dont allow them in are acting within the law, and are doing nothing wrong

What has that got to do with your claim that you would be giving them the same rights and powers as the police. You seem confused.
    Forum Member
    What has that got to do with your claim that you would be giving them the same rights and powers as the police. You seem confused.

I am not confused at all, there are alot of people who believe TVL should have the right to come into your home without you having the choice if to let them in or not
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have nothing to hide then let them in Simples. :cool:
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »
    If you have nothing to hide then let them in Simples. :cool:

Why there nothing speical,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not confused at all, there are alot of people who believe TVL should have the right to come into your home without you having the choice if to let them in or not

Really, not seen anyone claim say that, but I'm sure you will be able to provide some quotes.
    Forum Member
    No they dont, and i dont think the public would ever agree to it, People who dont allow tv license into there homes are doing nothing wrong, And are within there rights and are not breaking any laws.

So why raise the question which by your own admission will never happen.

The thread has a misleading title it was started by someone who clearly knows what TVL can or cannot do, as the quote they provide from a TVL clearly states the true position.

Looking at other forums I suspect some TVL protestors may be refusing to pay more than just their TV Licence. It can't be coincidence they seem to have so many issues with people communicating with them.

I'm guessing they refuse to allow meter readers in to check how much gas or electricty they use, maybe they use batteries and bottled gas.
    Forum Member
    So why raise the question which by your own admission will never happen.

The thread has a misleading title it was started by someone who clearly knows what TVL can or cannot do, as the quote they provide from a TVL clearly states the true position.

Looking at other forums I suspect some TVL protestors may be refusing to pay more than just their TV Licence. It can't be coincidence they seem to have so many issues with people communicating with them.

I'm guessing they refuse to allow meter readers in to check how much gas or electricty they use, maybe they use batteries and bottled gas.

Well saying that my meters are outside anyway, these people never have to come into my home, I dont deal with any cold callers, i dont have a thing to hide, infact the police were sat in my home on friday having a coffee and chat
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    .... there are alot of people who believe TVL should have the right to come into your home without you having the choice if to let them in or not
    That is the second time such a claim has been made in these pages in as many days -

why is it that your side of the argument is so fearful of naming these people?
    Forum Member

Speaking as someone who in the past has terminated my TV Licence, I've had nothing of which you others seem to get your knickers in a twist over.

If people delibrately choose to misread letters and when it's pointed out to them they are wrong choose to ignore the truth, then I think any right thinking person would regard them with suspicion....as to what they are really hiding.
    Forum Member
    Well saying that my meters are outside anyway, these people never have to come into my home, I dont deal with any cold callers, i dont have a thing to hide, infact the police were sat in my home on friday having a coffee and chat

How nice for you, and you didn't fear the police might arrest you or worse drink all your coffee, but you have a major problem with a letter.
    Forum Member
    Speaking as someone who in the past has terminated my TV Licence, I've had nothing of which you others seem to get your knickers in a twist over.

If people delibrately choose to misread letters and when it's pointed out to them they are wrong choose to ignore the truth, then I think any right thinking person would regard them with suspicion....as to what they are really hiding.

There is a problem with TVL statement which says you dont have to let use in, they forget to add that unless you let us in we will keep going back to pester you. Abit like a salesmen with the hard sell tactics,
    Forum Member
    How nice for you, and you didn't fear the police might arrest you or worse drink all your coffee, but you have a major problem with a letter.

I have nothing to fear from the police, and do have a problem with what i class as threatening letters for doing nothing wrong,
    Forum Member
    I have nothing to fear from the police, and do have a problem with what i class as threatening letters for doing nothing wrong,

Speaking as someone who has cancelled their TV Licence the TVL letters I received weren't threatening.

I would think having someone equipped with a tazer, CS Spray and iron bar in the home is more threatening than any letter.