Tube Workers To Strike

occyoccy Posts: 65,128
Forum Member
✭✭
Tube workers in London are to take five days of strike action in the coming weeks over ticket office closures, the RMT has said.

Members of the union will walk out from 9pm on Monday April 28 for two days and again from 9pm on Monday May 5 for three days.

The first two days of action will take place ahead of a May Day event in London in memory of former RMT leader Bob Crow, and politician and campaigner Tony Benn, who died within days of each other last month.

RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash said assurances given when the union suspended a planned strike earlier this month had been "ripped up and thrown back in our faces".

Mr Cash blamed Tube management for "cynically wrecking" long-running talks aimed at settling a dispute over the closure of ticket offices and subsequent job losses.

He said: "Staff are furious that while senior management pay and staffing levels are being allowed to roar ahead the jobs and pay of the core, station-based staff, who are the interface with the travelling public are being torn to ribbons.

"The assurances that were given at the time RMT suspended the original action for a proper evaluation of the cuts plans have been ripped up and thrown back in our faces.

"As a result, RMT has no option but to put on further strike action in the expectation that the management will now halt these dangerous cuts plans and engage in meaningful and serious talks on the future of a tube network running at full tilt, with further demands in the pipeline, which needs more staff and not less to operate safely."

Workers from the TSSA rail union - including Transport for London managers and supervisors - have also voted to go on strike in a separate row over pay.

http://news.sky.com/story/1244489/tube-workers-to-strike-for-five-days

Comments

• plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's nice that they're having a strike to remember Bob. a) It's a better reason than most of their strikes and b) it's what he would have wanted
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You got an opinion on this yourself, occy?

I say fair play to them but it probably won't do any good. Except it might he a good way for some Londoners to get fitter!
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    There's always buses, taxis, minicabs, the river services and trains.
    Oh, you can walk too.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How tactless, blocking the tubes in order to remember a fat guy who died from a heart attack.
  • StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they might stop holding the country to ransom now Bob is dead but looks like they still wanna cause mayhem without him *rollseyes*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Oh, you can walk too.

All of the buses would be overcrowded. I'm guessing either you drive or you don't live in.London.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......providing more motivation to completely automate the Tube and prevent Londoners from being held to ransom by these parasites in future.

I've said it before - if Boris had one purpose in life, it was to crush the RMT and de-unionise the Tube. I do not understand why he has not done so.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    All of the buses would be overcrowded. I'm guessing either you drive or you don't live in.London.

I live in London. I took the bus and the overland last time, and the Northern line on the second day.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These workers have some of the best conditions in the country, I find it a total inconvenience
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another strike? Should be bloody well grateful they have a sodding job in the first place. Sorry if i sound harsh but these strikes are just getting stupid now.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    ......providing more motivation to completely automate the Tube and prevent Londoners from being held to ransom by these parasites in future.

I've said it before - if Boris had one purpose in life, it was to crush the RMT and de-unionise the Tube. I do not understand why he has not done so.

The biggest parasites are the politicians

Wind yer neck in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Another strike? Should be bloody well grateful they have a sodding job in the first place. Sorry if i sound harsh but these strikes are just getting stupid now.

Nope, this kind of reaction to them is getting stupid now.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest parasites are the politicians

Wind yer neck in

Do you use the tube a lot?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should people working for companies which provide an essential service for the public be banned from taking strike action?
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Thats the trouble when you put most of your eggs in one basket, London underground staff have the government over a barrel, they know London needs the underground to operate efficiently.

They are on great money, with great perks, and that wont change, if they want more, they just down tools and london grinds to a halt.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Urgh... Think I may try to book whatever dates they strike off. It was mayhem last time! By tube it takes just over an hour to get to work. But bus it took me 2 and a half hours to get home from work. Traffic and overcrowding was ridiculous!
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to know Bob Crow is still fighting for us in spirit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Do you use the tube a lot?

There is no tube in Western NI
  • PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Oh, you can walk too.

And, indeed, the Tube, which was largely running last time around.
  • VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plundermot wrote: »

Largely running? Is that a joke?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should people working for companies which provide an essential service for the public be banned from taking strike action?

In a word no.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No... wait until nurses strike later this year! :o;)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plundermot wrote: »

The first day of the strike was incredibly effective so I'm not sure what you are on about! :o

Bob Crow RIP :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    No... wait until nurses strike later this year! :o;)

They will not the RCN {Royal college of Nursing} has a no strike rule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    The first day of the strike was incredibly effective so I'm not sure what you are on about! :o

Bob Crow RIP :(

Indeed i echo that sentiment.:(