Options

trying to find old book - anyone help?

iwastheretooiwastheretoo Posts: 74
Forum Member
I read a paperback book given to me by my Dad about 25 years ago(who is no longer alive) and I am sure it was callled Rat trap. It was about a man who was on the run from the Army I think and it was set in Chedworth in Gloucestershire.
I used to live there - which is why he gave it to me.

Anyone got any ideas? can't remember author.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    just had a quick look on Amazon.
    There's one called Rat Trap on there but it seems to be about hijacking a plane at Heathrow.
    Did the guy on the run from the army hijack a plane?
    Can't see anything else.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    quite possibly. I looked a while ago and for some reason thought it seemed quite a new book on Amazon but now I have investigated more, it seems it is from around late 70'2 early 80's so right era.
    Thank you so much for your help, I have ordered it so will let you know!!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    quite possibly. I looked a while ago and for some reason thought it seemed quite a new book on Amazon but now I have investigated more, it seems it is from around late 70'2 early 80's so right era.
    Thank you so much for your help, I have ordered it so will let you know!!:)

Its hard to tell if its a reprint of an old book on there, but usually if you scroll down far enough you will see if there are any copies with earlier dates and different cover pictures/art. The first one listed was a recent date, but there are some lower on the page which were printed around the time you said, so you never know.

I hope it's the one! Sounds quite a good story even if it's the wrong book. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh WOW
    I ordered the book from Amazon, started reading it today and YES it is the right one that my Dad gave me all those years ago. I am so happy. Thank you so much for the advice.
    It is funny to read about Heathrow and they are getting information by TELEX. ha ha so outdated. GOod book though!!! Thanks again
    :):):):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh WOW
    I ordered the book from Amazon, started reading it today and YES it is the right one that my Dad gave me all those years ago. I am so happy. Thank you so much for the advice.
    It is funny to read about Heathrow and they are getting information by TELEX. ha ha so outdated. GOod book though!!! Thanks again
    :):):):):)

You know what, that has made my day!
    I'm so happy for you.
    If you ever want any more old books, Amazon is a good source because a lot of book shops are Amazon sellers and they always try to give you a rough synopsis of the story so you can usually work out if its the one you want.
    Also for more obscure stuff there is a wonderful site called abe books. They don' tend to give the story though, so I always search Amazon first then search abe to compare price.
    Both are secure sites.

Treasure that book now.
    I'm so glad I was able to help.
    xxx

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/