car insurance question(excess)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
Forum Member
how does Compulsory excess work on fully com car insurance.

do you pay this excess on claims against your car or do you pay it for any claim.

i am sure this is just for claims for your own car

for example my sister had a claim 2/3 years ago(her fault)and the other car claimed while i fixed her car so no claim to her policy for her car just the third party and upto now shes paid no excess.

the reason for asking is her best quote has £600 excess+£250 young driver so £850:eek:

is this excess for a claim against her car or does it stand for any claim(ie a third party)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its just her own car but Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Normally, if a driver (driver A) has to make a claim on their insurance, either to pay for damage to their own car or to pay for damage to others caused by the insured drivers car, then driver A would pay the excess and the insurance company would pay the rest.

If the claim is against another party and not the fault of driver A, then the insurance company will usually claim the excess back of the other party.

My insurance excess is £150. So, if I hit another vehicle, or knock down a pedestrian, drive into a garden wall, and its my fault, I would pay £150. If someone else hit me or damaged my car, and the fault was admitted by the insurance company of the driver at fault, then my insurance company would claim back my excess from the other party and I would pay nothing.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    leejuke wrote: »
    how does Compulsory excess work on fully com car insurance.

do you pay this excess on claims against your car or do you pay it for any claim.

i am sure this is just for claims for your own car

for example my sister had a claim 2/3 years ago(her fault)and the other car claimed while i fixed her car so no claim to her policy for her car just the third party and upto now shes paid no excess.

the reason for asking is her best quote has £600 excess+£250 young driver so £850:eek:

is this excess for a claim against her car or does it stand for any claim(ie a third party)

Her excess seems extraordinarily high? I think as a young driver my excess started at about £250-300. Has she tried the CIS?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    The excess would only apply if she claimed for damage to her own car. Excesses do not apply to third party claims.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony@home wrote: »
    If someone else hit me or damaged my car, and the fault was admitted by the insurance company of the driver at fault, then my insurance company would claim back my excess from the other party and I would pay nothing.

Could I just mention that if the 3rd party agrees to go entirely through their insurer (like someone did late last year when they reversed into our car:mad: ) you won't have to pay any excess at all. :)

This is rare mind you and it usually involves months and months of insurance companies waving their handbags about liability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    there seems to be conflicting replys here,anybody else any ideas

my theory was that you only pay excess for claims to your car
    for example if you have an accident that causes damage to a third partys car but not yours theres no excess but if you claim for your car aswell you pay the excess.

i know 2 people that had fire and theft and had accidents(there fault) no claims for there car obviously(f & t)and paid no excess
    i know 1 person that had fully com had a claim for third party but not there car and have paid no excess.

shes not to bothered about the excess as long as its not paid no matter what claim you have.
    Forum Member
    pixie_gurl wrote: »
    Her excess seems extraordinarily high? I think as a young driver my excess started at about £250-300. Has she tried the CIS?

thats what i think aswell.

shes been on my policy for 2 years and they are offering her 2 years no claims(additional driver discount)if she takes her own policy.they came back with a good price(about £200 cheaper than others)but want £600 vol excess+£250 young driver excess

shes 21 so not exacly a new driver and been driving for 3 years.
    the first policy she had at 18 only had £250 excess.
    Forum Member
    there seems to be conflicting replys here,anybody else any ideas

my theory was that you only pay excess for claims to your car
    for example if you have an accident that causes damage to a third partys car but not yours theres no excess but if you claim for your car aswell you pay the excess.

That is correct. I worked in an insurance claims department for 6 years so I know what I'm talking about!

If you have an accident that wasn't your fault, you can claim through the third party's insurance, and you wouldn't have to pay an excess. Most insurance companies now are very pro-active in these situations, where blame is clear cut, so they can deal with your claim direct and have control over costs.
    Forum Member
    mnt99york wrote: »
    That is correct. I worked in an insurance claims department for 6 years so I know what I'm talking about!

If you have an accident that wasn't your fault, you can claim through the third party's insurance, and you wouldn't have to pay an excess. Most insurance companies now are very pro-active in these situations, where blame is clear cut, so they can deal with your claim direct and have control over costs.

thanks

so it is the same for a claim that is your fault

ie your fault accident no damage claimed for your car damage claim for third party you dont pay excess

but the same scenario but with a claim for your car aswell you pay excess.

have i got this right
    Forum Member
    thanks

so it is the same for a claim that is your fault

ie your fault accident no damage claimed for your car damage claim for third party you dont pay excess

but the same scenario but with a claim for your car aswell you pay excess.

have i got this right

That's exactly right yes.
    Forum Member
    thanks very much:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who was in bed asleep when a lorry caught their car which was parked correctly outside their house. They contacted their insurance company who explained that my friend would have to pay an excess even though the person who hit their car is at fault completely. This doesn't make sense to me as the claim is surely on the faulty driver's insurance. So it appears my friend's insurance company want to charge the excess simply for being involved at all?

Am I right by suggesting that my friend should not even be dealing with his own insurance company and should be making the claim directly to the faulty driver's insurance company and that he should definitely not be paying out any excess even if he is supposedly going to be reimbursed at a later date?