How do you do these 2 things on a Mac?

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1. When I have 2 Word documents open (or any program), how do you flick between them using CMD and Tab like you would on a PC? All CMD and Tab does is flick between the open programs and groups all open documents into one Word tab. How do I separate the open documents so I can quickly flick through? Currently I have to click on Window at the top with the mouse which is cumbersome.

2. When you delete a file/folder from a directory, is there a way of getting it to automatically clearing up the folder? Or do you have to click Right and select Clean Up each time?

Thanks.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 Control - F4 or Control - Fn - F4 depending on keyboard type

2 Not entirely sure what you mean by this.
  • rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    1 Control - F4 or Control - Fn - F4 depending on keyboard type

2 Not entirely sure what you mean by this.

1. Neither works for me.

2. When you delete a file and folder(s), it makes the directory untidy because there are gaps everywhere. On iOS it automatically moves all the folders along. I was wondering if there is a way of doing it on a Mac without clicking Right and selecting "Clean Up By".
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rewind wrote: »
    1. Neither works for me.

2. When you delete a file and folder(s), it makes the directory untidy because there are gaps everywhere. On iOS it automatically moves all the folders along. I was wondering if there is a way of doing it on a Mac without clicking Right and selecting "Clean Up By".
    1 works for me. Which version of Mac OS are you on? I've got 10.7.3. Might be different on other versions perhaps? Or perhaps you are pressing all three at the same time? I find it works by pressing Ctrl and Fn and hold them down then tapping F4 to cycle through the open windows, (or hold Ctrl down and tap F4 as appropriate).

2 Right click on the folder select Arrange By and choose any option other than None.
  • PaulCadenPaulCaden Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    On 1. Use CMD + ~ to cycle between windows open in the same application
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulCaden wrote: »
    On 1. Use CMD + ~ to cycle between windows open in the same application

No that doesn't work for me either.

I am running 10.8.2.
    Forum Member
    Definitely does work as I have just done it. This shortcut has been in all the OSX versions as far as I can recall.

Can I ask the obvious...

Has Word got focus?
    Are you holding down the CMD key and tapping the '~'?

Taken from Apple's support pages:

Make the next or previous window in the current app active | Command (⌘)-Shift-tilde (~)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely does work as I have just done it. This shortcut has been in all the OSX versions as far as I can recall.

Can I ask the obvious...

Has Word got focus?
    Are you holding down the CMD key and tapping the '~'?

Taken from Apple's support pages:

Make the next or previous window in the current app active | Command (⌘)-Shift-tilde (~)

What do you mean has Word got focus?
    Forum Member
    Have one of the Word windows in the foreground (check the main title bar), and then do the 'CMD ~' combo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have one of the Word windows in the foreground (check the main title bar), and then do the 'CMD ~' combo.

Ah right - it only works when you're NOT in full screen. That's a bit odd isn't it? When I came out of full screen it worked. So there's no way of doing what you can do on a PC?
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you mean re the PC. I didn't think Office software was able to go full screen the same way as OS X.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean re the PC. I didn't think Office software was able to go full screen the same way as OS X.

I mean with Office on my PC I was always in Full Screen (as most PC programs are) and could easily flip between documents.

Using Office on my Mac in Full Screen appears to not allow me to flick between documents.
    Forum Member
    Full Screen in OS X is a different mode than a maximised window in Windows. To compare like for like, use maximised windows in OS X, rather than Full Screen.

The command should work as expected if you do this.
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »
    I mean with Office on my PC I was always in Full Screen (as most PC programs are)

As few PC programs are, in fact. You're conflating full screen (the diagonal arrows button in the top right of the window) with maximised (the + in the top left). It is a bit of a mess: full screen only arrived recently, while maximised has been there forever (and is very close to the way it works in some X11 window managers).