Options

Fastest-ever Premier League hat trick

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Robbie Fowler scored his amazing hattrick against Arsenal in august 1994 in just 4 minutes and 33 seconds they said it would never be beaten.I saw this mentioned just a few months ago on a TV programme in which a pundit said it was a fluke and down to Fowler's skill.

Well Sadio Mane has smashed that record by scoring a hatrick in just 2 minutes and 56 seconds. That is less than a goal a minute and against a villa side which has looked much better in recent games and from a Southampton side who in recent games struggled to score.

I dont want to take anything away from Fowlers hatrick because it was a first class example of skill from him. However as a Fan of the Saints this has put a really big smile on my face today.

Well Done Sadio Mane enjoy your time in the history books.

In terms of can it be beaten sure why not the fastest one in the league system is
Bournemouth's James Hayter against Wrexham in February 2004, timed at 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

The world record is 1 minute and 30 seconds, held by Tommy Ross for Ross County against Nairn County in November 1964.

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21 years. Almost.

Could be another 21 years before it happens in this division again.

Well done Sadio Mane.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was amazing to watch, congratulations to him for doing so, it will certainly be very hard to beat.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok this definitely wont be beat. Under 3 minutes with the time it takes to restart too is insance.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am trying to work out how that Ross County player scored as hat-trick in just over as minute, that is seriously impressive!
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Pub league standard football and not celebrating?

What was Mane's actual playing time hat-trick? I'm sure they said it as 1 minute 20 something yesterday in the match.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this live(on TV) and in amazement.

Yes, I doubt I'll ever see that happen again.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Ok this definitely wont be beat. Under 3 minutes with the time it takes to restart too is insance.

It has already been beaten in the football league so why not in the PL?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    It has already been beaten in the football league so why not in the PL?

Yes it was an amazing achievement but what I want to know is if it is the fastest [First Division or Premier League] hat-trick.

I'm sick of hearing PL records quoted, as if football's top division didn't exist before it!
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mane's record will stand forever in the Premier League. Within five years every top division goal will be followed by a 45-second augmented reality presentation on behalf of the goal sponsor so there'll be no time to quickly play on between that and the choreographed celebrations prompted by Paddy Power.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,069
    Forum Member
    Clearly not one for the OTT celebrations that take 2/3 minutes!

I have heard some clubs encourage their players to take their time celebrating a goal so to waste time etc.