Is my xbox knackered?

logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No matter what game i put in i get this message.."Disc Unreadable. Clean disc or Restart."
There is a place close by where i live that will service my xbox..worth taking it? or just get a new one??
cheers.

Comments

• logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    update, just stuck in sniper elite v2 an its working?..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sec2 online worked for 20 mins then i got "disc enreaable" msg?. my xbox is done aint it?
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Optical drive is either in need of a clean, or it's fooked.

You Tube how to clean the laser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Optical drive is either in need of a clean, or it's fooked.

You Tube how to clean the laser.

will do, thanks for the tip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before i go taking my xbox to bits. a thought occured to me. Would one of those cleaning discs work? MS say on their website not to use one as it may damage my console but since my xbox displays the "unreadable disc" msg after playin for 20 mins, it's gotta be worth a punt?
    Forum Member
    You can give it a try - there are some 360-specific ones, like this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CleanDr-Laser-Lens-Cleaner-Xbox/dp/B0041A3JS0

Although from the feedback it would seem to be hit and miss. I guess it depends on whether or not your problem really is a bit of fluff on the lens, or if it's something more serious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i had a look at that and like you say, reviews vary! My xbox is pretty old tbh an it's had a good run, i just don't have the money to throw at a new one. There's a console repair place near to me and they charge 15 quid to clean the lens...it comes with a one month guarantee!
    I'm tempted to get the pc world own brand cleaning disc an try that. Knowing me though i'll pick one up in the poundshop round the corner and give it a whirl!
    Forum Member
    :D

Well good luck either way! ;)
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Yeah, i had a look at that and like you say, reviews vary! My xbox is pretty old tbh an it's had a good run, i just don't have the money to throw at a new one. There's a console repair place near to me and they charge 15 quid to clean the lens...it comes with a one month guarantee!
    I'm tempted to get the pc world own brand cleaning disc an try that. Knowing me though i'll pick one up in the poundshop round the corner and give it a whirl!

Lens cleaning discs are useless. As people have already advised your lens is either dirty and broken. Youtube videos are easy to follow to clean them. Also you can buy a new optical drive if required. Again straight forward to replace when following Youtube videos
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only gone an bloody fixed it! Got a cleaning disc from tesco, stuck it in and it worked! Also the picture and sound are noticibly better. Played a couple of hours last night and today. It's like a new xbox!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Cool. Good to hear. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howdo 2D! Gonna get back on State of Decay in the new year, the latest season of the Walking Dead has got me in the mood!!
    Forum Member
    Hey logansdad. The latest patch made State of Decay run a bit better and Breakdown is cool too, I'm still playing it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will check it out next week, i've returned to sniper elite at the mo. the online battles have a great risk/reward vibe that really suit my mentality! How did you find gta5? i actually found myself comparing it to SOD (which is another reason i wanna reurn to it).
    Forum Member
    Yeah me too. Graphically GTA V was amazing, I really enjoyed my time with it but I actually stopped playing around 70% of the way through and haven't returned.

Overall I had more fun in State of Decay despite it being inferior to GTA V in many ways. It's just more intense and the strategy elements combined with the real-time game world simulation and AI made the game feel very unique.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean with GTA5, i completed it, but it felt a bit flat to me. Don't know if that was because it couldn't live up to it's own hype or if i'm just getting old and jaded!
    Forum Member
    Awesome news!

Glad you got it fixed pal. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Bester, Looks like i'm gonna a have a merry christmas after all!