✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Guitar sounds like Argent!

Hold Your Head Up?
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good episode, and a surprisingly tolerable display from Mike Read! Look forward to seeing the full show.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    The only Pretenders song I like is I Go To Sleep

Good song late 81.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Too Hot' - great song!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Mike Read, Mike Read, 275, 285.

I'm not sure when he took over.

He just said he was doing the afternoon show.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a cool playout from Kool & The Gang with Too Hot. Makes me think of a hot summer day, sun beating down, far removed from January. Check out the version with Lisa Stansfield if you can, it's just as good. :cool:
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Yay! 'Too Much Too Young' - excellent! I bought the single at the time and it still sounds excellent.

Still a brilliant song after all these years, sounds fresh and pertinent. Love The Specials.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Hold Your Head Up?

Yes, I always think of Hold Your Head Up when I hear this song.

Edit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anpMFcae9rI in case anyone's interested!
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    He just said he was doing the afternoon show.

He did an evening show before moving to the early mornings.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    The Spacer video is supposed to have that stuttering effect; it's special effects! If there's a version on YouTube that doesn't do that, it's either due to the change in frame rate from 25 to 30fps, or someone has taken it upon themselves to "fix" it. :)

Right, thanks ;-) Watching the "original" is too many years ago....:D
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed that one a lot! Even with the edits. Definitely will watch or record the late full version. Best Pops for ages. Half a point off for Matchbox, rest of it, great stuff - 9.5/10!
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I never feel I can judge the show until I've seen the full version later. Should be good.

I've just set-up to record the full version because I definitely want that Buggles Plastic Age. Never seen that before, though I do know the song. It could, of course, already be on YouTube.
  • Options
    blue screenblue screen Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    With the exception of Dollar and Matchbox (who made Showaddywaddy seem like the Smiths) i really enjoyed that 8/10
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike Read, Mike Read, 275, 285.

I'm not sure when he took over.

January 81 to April 86 where the late Mike Smith took over from Mike
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    They've cut Joe Jackson, but left this utter tripe in.

I know!! Tragic!! - one of the best songs of 1980 too!! >:(
  • Options
    Richard_Noble1Richard_Noble1 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Did you all go down the Palais for your Saturday night fix+ YOUR IN THE PAST ITS 2015,Lm 65 but don't dwell on long forgotten songs:(:(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yay, they got on! :)

Yesssss a second time! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And there was me thinking The Human League were the first to have 2 girls singing in the back.

Squeeze were even before The Regents & Human League! (Cool for Cats!)
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you all go down the Palais for your Saturday night fix+ YOUR IN THE PAST ITS 2015,Lm 65 but don't dwell on long forgotten songs:(:(:(
    Rather hear 1980 then today's rubbish in the charts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    The only Pretenders song I like is I Go To Sleep

Yes - live that one too! But do like Brass in Pocket also! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Chrissie needs to put a brush through that hair.

That would be neat for me! My hair seems to have a mind of it's own!! :blush:
  • Options
    blue screenblue screen Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member

I don't think anyone does "dwell on long forgotten songs". Just enjoying watching the show thanks. By the way for someone who is 65 your punctuation is awful
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was such an instant hit. Never really felt like a No.1 for me.
    I really do not like the Specials, Too Much Too Young one bit. It does a leap of 15 to 1 just like the Rats did last summer. Not a great chart topper in my opinion, compared to how they have one of the best No1's of the entire decade next year.

Infact Too Much Too Young could be a song about certain overpaid sports stars nowadays who kick a bag of air to and fro.

As for Dollar, well I must need therapy like Robbie, because I think it is quite a decent version of the Beatles original, dare I say I prefer it marginally! Likely because it was the first version I heard of the song at 10 and a half.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimjohn63 wrote: »
    Did the keyboard player end up in another band? He looks familiar

He was in Asia after Buggles ('Heat Of The Moment' etc), I think he was also in Yes at some point.
    Only 1 more Top 10 for the Booms after this.

'Banana Republic' towards the end of the year. A great song but surprised it got as high as number 3! Never thought it done as well as that.
    alcockell wrote: »
    Skipped -

(12) JOE JACKSON – It’s Different For Girls ®
    (50) SUZI QUATRO – Mama’s Boy WATCH

Worth recording and watching the late night one for. One of Suzi's best and I think it was self penned as opposed to being a Chinn/Chap one.
    Surprising the Regents didn't have more success with such a charismatic lead singer

Indeed! ;-) :D
    I never feel I can judge the show until I've seen the full version later. Should be good.

Its a must watch! :) Two of the three we missed most definitely, Babs Dickson I'll reserve judgement on until I see it as I don't recall the song.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good for you. Would you like a medal?
This discussion has been closed.