Marina and the Diamonds - Froot (Album Thread, April 6th)

Comments

• spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy is currently at 8 on US iTunes! Well done Marina.

edit: sitting at 6 now, wow.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the song, it's so beautiful and I feel like Marina is showing a more vulnerable side to her. Shame this song can't chart as it's already Top 10 in the UK, hoping it could chart in the US though as it's already Top 20 and has out peaked FROOT on US iTunes already.

Why can't it chart in the UK?
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Happy, but it's not as instant as I'd have hoped. I don't feel particularly compelled to listen to it again (I've given it a few listens and it's still inoffensive but dull!).

As I'm still not completely sold on Froot I am a bit worried that this album will disappoint me. Obviously won't pass a firm judgement until I hear more of the tracks/the full album in April, but so far I'm not excited for it at all. On the other hand, it's good to hear a song like Happy from Marina because a lot of her previous songs have been fairly negative in tone, dealing with depression etc so it's good to hear a song which is more positive in nature!
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving Immortal, the new FROOT of the Month! It's just a brilliant track with the melancholic lyrics and the melody is beautiful. The video is amazing too. I think this is my favourite track so far. What does everyone else think of it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Why can't it chart in the UK?

The only song on FROOT that can chart is Froot as the Official Charts Company says that any subsequent instant grat tracks after the first one cannot chart, for some reason. Shame really :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving Immortal, the new FROOT of the Month! It's just a brilliant track with the melancholic lyrics and the melody is beautiful. The video is amazing too. I think this is my favourite track so far. What does everyone else think of it?

I like some parts of it. It feels very similar to Valley of the Dolls and Fear & Loathing. Probably the weakest of the 3 for me so far but that's because I regard the title track amongst her best work. I think Immortal will make me sense in the context of the album, it's the closer aswell. Peaked at 5 on US iTunes, I wouldn't be surprised to see the album debut in the top 3 there.

The video for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGKxxTXqSs&spfreload=10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some parts of it. It feels very similar to Valley of the Dolls and Fear & Loathing. Probably the weakest of the 3 for me so far but that's because I regard the title track amongst her best work. I think Immortal will make me sense in the context of the album, it's the closer aswell. Peaked at 5 on US iTunes, I wouldn't be surprised to see the album debut in the top 3 there.

The video for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGKxxTXqSs&spfreload=10

Funnily enough Froot didn't grow on me for a while (pardon the pun) and Immortal has been pretty much instant, like Happy was. Suppose it's all about what you prefer as VOTD and F&L are some of my favourite Marina tracks.

FROOT has stayed in iTunes' Top 200 in the US pretty much since Happy was released. I feel like she'll have massive first week sales in the US and, hopefully, her highest charting album there too. I'm also hoping she can scoop her second UK #1 album too.
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind the name 'Froot'? Why not 'Fruit'?
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only song on FROOT that can chart is Froot as the Official Charts Company says that any subsequent instant grat tracks after the first one cannot chart, for some reason. Shame really :(

That's incorrect, the rules have changed now. 'Happy' can chart but ONLY from individual downloads. Downloads made in virtue of it being an instant grat don't count, but if enough people download it separately, then it could chart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    That's incorrect, the rules have changed now. 'Happy' can chart but ONLY from individual downloads. Downloads made in virtue of it being an instant grat don't count, but if enough people download it separately, then it could chart.

Oh, when did that begin? Glad that's changed as it was unfair before.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    i loved TFJ and EH ... 'froot' initially was ok ...not sure...but it was a grower...and I really like it now. 'Happy' and 'Immortal' were much more immediate as they are classic Marina. But i think, overall I prefer Froot now. I hope there are some more electro uptempo tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive fan of Marina. Electra Heart is one of my favourite album ever, but these three songs alone have out done EVERYTHING we've had so far - this really is the strongest we've seen from Marina. I'm unbelievably excited for the whole album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough Froot didn't grow on me for a while (pardon the pun) and Immortal has been pretty much instant, like Happy was. Suppose it's all about what you prefer as VOTD and F&L are some of my favourite Marina tracks.

FROOT has stayed in iTunes' Top 200 in the US pretty much since Happy was released. I feel like she'll have massive first week sales in the US and, hopefully, her highest charting album there too. I'm also hoping she can scoop her second UK #1 album too.

I think lyrically it reminded me of those two tracks, it's not bad at all, it's already growing on me. Just it feels a little like a rehash.

My estimate is around 20-30k first week in the US. People really underestimate her popularity in the States but her fanbase is extremely strong. Touring the country 3/4 times with EH did wonders. She has a strong cult following and Happy/Immortal going top 5 on iTunes shows that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A short clip of I'm A Ruin, I love the sound of this, very eccentric Kate Bush.

http://instagram.com/p/x0GUL-pPqE/?modal=true

Marina's playing alot of US based festivals this year, SXSW, Coachella, Boston Calling, Governors Ball, Lollapalooza.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm A Ruin has leaked in LQ, the Vinyl got shipped early and someone recorded it with their phone. It's a really good track though, probably my second favourite behind Froot. It'll premiere on Huw Stephens Radio 1 show on Tuesday. She shot the video for it on a Volcanic Island aswell.. only Marina.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina and the Diamonds - I'm A Ruin

Here's a link for I'm A Ruin which Marina posted last night, for anyone who hasn't heard it! I think it's my favourite release from Froot so far.

Very much looking forward to the video as well! I believe that's released on the 2nd February?

I saw on Wikipedia that I'm A Ruin is the next single from the album - can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure if someone's made a mistake or not as I'm near certain Marina said the Froots of the Month were not singles?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina and the Diamonds - I'm A Ruin

Here's a link for I'm A Ruin which Marina posted last night, for anyone who hasn't heard it! I think it's my favourite release from Froot so far.

Very much looking forward to the video as well! I believe that's released on the 2nd February?

I saw on Wikipedia that I'm A Ruin is the next single from the album - can anyone confirm this? I'm not sure if someone's made a mistake or not as I'm near certain Marina said the Froots of the Month were not singles?

The video will be out 2/2.

It's slightly changed. I'm A Ruin is the first official single from the album. The song will be available on 2/2 when you pre-order the album, so it won't be available to download instantly like the other Froots.. I don't think.. The song itself, or the radio edit, will be released on 22nd March.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Album has leaked
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Album has leaked

Such a shame :( just under two months early! I'm intrigued to listen to it though, her recent releases have been amazing :cool: is there a link?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame it leaked so early for her, especially since she's planned so much & put all that effort in. I bet she's livid. Fortunately I think Marina's fanbase will stick by her and she should still do quite decently with this album.

I've only listened to it once, it's a really consistent album, alot more mature. It's not as instant as Electra Heart but something you'll appreciate with repeated listens. She meant it when she said she's done with Top 40, only Blue is serviceable really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I've found the more repeatable tracks on the album are 'FROOT', 'I'm A Ruin', 'Blue', 'Better Than That', 'Savages' + 'Immortal'.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good album. Feel bad for her that it leaked two months early.

Nothing she has ever released has disappointed me so far tbh
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The album release date has been brought forward to March 16th.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's everyone's thoughts on the Froot era? imo it's such a sad step down from Electra Heart. But EH is an incredibly tough album to follow cos it's so goddamn amazing.

The only tracks I really like are Happy, I'm A Ruin, Froot and Blue.

The rest to me are really meh. Some are actually quite boring. Whereas on EH there was only like two tracks that I didn't absolutely love.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    What's everyone's thoughts on the Froot era? imo it's such a sad step down from Electra Heart. But EH is an incredibly tough album to follow cos it's so goddamn amazing.

The only tracks I really like are Happy, I'm A Ruin, Froot and Blue.

The rest to me are really meh. Some are actually quite boring. Whereas on EH there was only like two tracks that I didn't absolutely love.

As they say "opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one" ... and I have to thoroughly disagree with you. I much prefer Froot to Electra Heart.

Electra Heart is a decent album, but a step down from Marina's great debut. It was too "pop", too obviously aimed at Radio 1 airplay. Some of those songs sound like something Katy Perry would produce (okay if that's your cup of tea, but it isn't mine). Marina lost a bit of individuality. I don't want to sound too down on Electra Heart, it's a good album, but it takes bronze in my opinion.

Froot is different to both her previous two albums, more mature, a bit melancholy at times, and I'll admit it takes more listens to hit home. There are a couple of songs that didn't do anything for me after the first couple of listens (Forget and Weeds in particular) but then they started to sink in, and I now think it's her most consistent album yet. I have favourite tracks, but there's no one track I don't like or would want to skip.

I've listened to the leak a few times, but now I'm waiting for the official release on CD as I want to hear it in all it's Hi-Res glory (the leak claims to be 320kbps MP3s but they sound a bit rough to my ears).

I rarely buy new music, but this is one album that I will buy as I'm fairly certain I'll be listening to it for years to come.