Options

Will we have new opening credits for series 9?

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
Or a tweak at least

Incidentally am I right in thinking the planteary version with Matt Smiths face is the shortest lived only lasting half a series?

Comments

• Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Or a tweak at least

Incidentally am I right in thinking the planteary version with Matt Smiths face is the shortest lived only lasting half a series?

Paul McGann's lasted one episode! But, yes, you are right I think.

Possibly a tweak for season 9. They do like their tweaks.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were still tweaking mid-series, so I wouldn't rule it out :p

Also if they could sync the music, decide on a font style & 2005 vs 2013 sting before the series begins instead of changing every episode - that would bring a bit of consistency to the table.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see it. The current title sequence is perfect.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Whilst I don't particularly like the title sequence that was used for series 8 compared to some of the others, I feel the sequence could do with staying the same for a few series for a bit of continuity and a feeling of familiarity.

During the RTD era they had the same basic title sequence and music throughout with only the odd tweak here and there. As such I remember it fondly and can associate it with Eccleston/Tennant in the same way that Classic who doctors have certain titles associated with them. Contrast this with Matt smith's era for example and it was chopped and changed so much that I there isn't one particular title sequence that comes to mind as being the one of his era. It's the same with the TARDIS interior. In Matt's time it changed practically every series when it would have been better to stay the same throughout in my opinion.

It's as though, for some reason, Moffat just can't leave it alone. It feels like someone needs to slap his hand when he is reaching over to write an order for yet another Title sequence redo or TARDIS redesign and say 'Just leave it will you, and concentrate more on the writing'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the re-design of the Matt Smith era Tardis set needed because of the move from it being built on the old Torchwood hub set and the move to the new current studio?
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    matt74uk wrote: »
    Wasn't the re-design of the Matt Smith era Tardis set needed because of the move from it being built on the old Torchwood hub set and the move to the new current studio?

I think you might be right on that one, but even if that particular one was out of necessity, it dosen't change the fact that, for me, it feels like it's change a heck of a lot in recent years and could do with staying the same long enough for us to actually get used to having a particular control room and one where in years to come we can associate with the Capaldi era.

Plus, as far as the opening credits go, there's no real excuse for that beyond they seemingly can't seem to resist the urge to mess with it since the Moffat era started, which again I think is a shame because as I said in my previous post there isn't one title sequence that represents Matt's era like there is with Tennant and Eccleston and it would be nice if they could get back to that with Capaldi's era. One theme and one TARDIS for one doctor.
  • Options
    david_Robinsondavid_Robinson Posts: 148
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Well here's hoping the "clock cogs" titles stick for the rest of Peters run as they are quite nice (although I'd still tweak the Doctors face so it was more face rather than concentrated on the capdieyes)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I have no problem with the titles - they are much better than Matt's IMO.
    I just hope that they replace that awful screechy theme music - sounds like a strangled cat! Tennant's theme was by far the best, and kept a touch of the original Ron Grainer feel to it - albeit with a bit of extra percussion (for the best).
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Not to worried about the titles but change the music add a drum to it would it nice.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Not to worried about the titles but change the music add a drum to it would it nice.

Ha - we must be psychic - posted similar views at the same time! Spooky.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many times the charming and modest guy from NeonVisual has checked the signal bars on his phone recently?

"Why don't the incompetent fools call me? I've shown them how it's done with my innovative (not at all ripped-off) titles on YouTube. Yet the scum persist in not employing ME, an emerging artist at the top his game!">:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As far as the opening credits go, there's no real excuse for that beyond they seemingly can't seem to resist the urge to mess with it since the Moffat era started, which again I think is a shame because as I said in my previous post there isn't one title sequence that represents Matt's era like there is with Tennant and Eccleston and it would be nice if they could get back to that with Capaldi's era. One theme and one TARDIS for one doctor.

For me, it all felt a bit desperate. It felt like they were constantly changing things to keep the show fresh when, in truth, if it had just been a half-decent show at the time they wouldn't have needed to.

The good thing (for me at least) is that I like the current TARDIS interior a lot more than the one they introduced in The Eleventh Hour (which for me was far too busy!).

And I also like the current opening credits more than the smoky-tunnel they used for most of Matt Smith's era. I just wish they would re-introduce the classic "cliffhanger sting" for the closing credits.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not. Its hard to put into words, but maintaining an opening sequence/theme creates a sense of continuity to the era. I didn't like it when they kept fiddling with Matt Smith's era. It just felt messy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't see it. The current title sequence is perfect.

Er no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope not. Its hard to put into words, but maintaining an opening sequence/theme creates a sense of continuity to the era. I didn't like it when they kept fiddling with Matt Smith's era. It just felt messy.

All i remember is the tardis in the lightning tunnel and the galaxy one. What have I missed ?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever the reasons were the constant messing around with the titles/music/Tardis interior/Doctors outfit summed up the aimlessness of the second part of Matt's era. S5 felt like a whole package. It had a clear identity as did Matt's Doctor.
    Then it all fell apart in a similar way as the narrative did. A 'let's throw anything at this and hope something sticks' approach. You can add the 'Movie of the week' stuff to that list as well.

Not to say there aren't plenty of brilliant, nay Classic episodes, in there but post S5 Elevens era lacks a clear identity. There's a reason him dropping the bow tie was such a poignant moment. It wasn't a cowboy hat and it wasnt a top hat.

I admire Moffats daring in always switching things but sometimes consistency is a good thing. It's why I hope S9 follows on with a similar tone and style to S8 and we don't get the abrupt change in gear that we had from seasons 5 to 6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope that they replace that awful screechy theme music.

Agreed. They really need to change the current theme. It'll be embarrassing if it's featured in LEGO Dimensions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agreed. They really need to change the current theme. It'll be embarrassing if it's featured in LEGO Dimensions.

My favourite so far is the 2005 theme, taking the original from 1963 and whooshing it up with loads of additional orchestration.

It just sounded like such an important and exciting piece of music, like something from a blockbuster movie. Nothing so far has compared to that for me.

I think the next thing they could do is a similarly updated version of the Peter Howell version from the early 80s. That could be exciting too.

The past two versions of the theme have been a little quiet for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing has beaten the 2005 theme for the modern era.

The 2008 refresh was unnecessarily bombastic. The 2010 one was alright, but didn't need the so-called "Moffat Intro." The 2012 one wasn't too bad, though they removed decent elements of it in 2013 - I won't mention the trippy visuals that went with it.

The Day of The Doctor theme was an oddly decent mash-up of them all. Never to be heard again, annoyingly. At least the Gallifreyan circlets survived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    My favourite so far is the 2005 theme, taking the original from 1963 and whooshing it up with loads of additional orchestration.

It just sounded like such an important and exciting piece of music, like something from a blockbuster movie. Nothing so far has compared to that for me.

I think the next thing they could do is a similarly updated version of the Peter Howell version from the early 80s. That could be exciting too.

The past two versions of the theme have been a little quiet for me.

The 2005 theme was great. My favourite is the first Matt Smith theme.
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the titles - they are much better than Matt's IMO.
    I just hope that they replace that awful screechy theme music - sounds like a strangled cat! Tennant's theme was by far the best, and kept a touch of the original Ron Grainer feel to it - albeit with a bit of extra percussion (for the best).

This times 1000.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I hate the bloody awful theme music (which sounds like someone is simultaneously playing the theme on a stylophone and a kazoo), I think they need to stop changing things so often. We had the same opening titles (minus a few minor tweaks) from 2005 to 2010 and two different versions of the theme, then from 2010 to 2015, we've had 4 different opening titles and 3 different versions of the theme.

After the chaos of 2011, 2012, and 2013 I think what Doctor Who needs right now is stability.
    CD93 wrote: »
    The Day of The Doctor theme was an oddly decent mash-up of them all. Never to be heard again, annoyingly. At least the Gallifreyan circlets survived.

This is the best iteration of the theme there has ever been, IMO. I'd be happy if they just stuck this version with the current titles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only recently heard the full theme myself. I miss that Middle 8!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the current clockworks oddly fitting - with 12 being conceived atop a clock tower :p

They crept in to the branding and stuck around.