Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I don't think we will be getting the December editions of TOTP as early as October this year. Once the Proms couple of months are factored into things it will be more or less on track as usual by September time.

A real shame about the two Christmas shows, especially one which is I believe a DLT co-presentation. Surely a work around could be achieved with that one somehow.

If the presenters are in an empty studio like they were for the 1979 Christmas show, then surely DLT could be edited out of it - the argument about "people in the audience" wouldn't apply in this case.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    If the presenters are in an empty studio like they were for the 1979 Christmas show, then surely DLT could be edited out of it - the argument about "people in the audience" wouldn't apply in this case.
    I have a feeling that the 1980 shows at Christmas were very different in style from the 1979 show and had plenty of audience interaction. That is from distant vague memory. I'm not searching it online. I used to be naive enough to think they had all turned up on Christmas afternoon for a live TOTP in the 80's. As if they would!
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I don't remotely know the story behind that song and why he did what he did, but, I've always assumed that 'Hot Love' was hugely influenced by 'Hey Jude' in the way that he conceived and executed it and that Mr B was trying to create a similar song for his subsequent generation. Which, if that indeed was the case, I think he achieved admirably. I do love that song and would rank it very high of his material along with my personal favourites, 'Children of the Revolution' and 'Teenage Dream' - a shocking under performer chart wise, but I think his best days were long behind him in that respect when that one came out.
    Yes, i have to agree with "Teenage Dream" being one of Bolan's best songs, which was autobiographical and written as Bolan admitted in a way of emulating the style of Bob Dylan, and some of Bob's more epic songs. It is a far cry from Bolan's rather more chirpy "Hot Love", and his former teenybop pop status. Some of the reviews of the song were not great, though, with one remark claiming that the song's guitar solo was terribly out of tune, with a question mark as to whether Marc had become deaf. I have always really loved it though and i really enjoyed "Dreamy Lady" and "New York City" too, from the following year.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Nice website info.

My birth week TOTP was broadcast on this very date today, 19th June in '69 two days after I came along. Kicking off with The Beatles 17th and last No1. Quite a few creatures on that show with Chicken Shack and Family Dogg! That song, I'd Rather Go Blind, seemed to be on the previous week too for some reason.

Oh yes - It's your birthday this month! 2 months before me!! :)
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    . I used to be naive enough to think they had all turned up on Christmas afternoon for a live TOTP in the 80's. As if they would!

I don't think you're alone! - I know the odd person who thinks Joolz Holland's Hootenanny is actually filmed on New Years Eve!! As if they would all pile down to the BBC on that night!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that the 1980 shows at Christmas were very different in style from the 1979 show and had plenty of audience interaction. That is from distant vague memory. I'm not searching it online. I used to be naive enough to think they had all turned up on Christmas afternoon for a live TOTP in the 80's. As if they would!

No, i don't think it is. Jimmy Savile and Peter Powell sit at a table in an empty studio for the Christmas day edition.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    No, i don't think it is. Jimmy Savile and Peter Powell sit at a table in an empty studio for the Christmas day edition.

A screengrab in Popscene however confirms there was an audience in the DLT/Vance second Xmas show a week later.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So just crop out Jimmy and mute his side of the conversations. What would be weird about that?? :)
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found this on YouTube it's a spoof video of the Top Of The Pops pilot from July 9th 1980 and kudos to Victorialucas38 for doing the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UYoH4q-4sfY
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Found this on YouTube it's a spoof video of the Top Of The Pops pilot from July 9th 1980 and kudos to Victorialucas38 for doing the video.

Is the real pilot in circulation now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the real pilot in circulation now?

I think it's in circulation but BBC Four won't show the pilot which is a shame but the only BBC Programme which they showed a pilot on was on the Knowing Me Knowing You Alan Partridge DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A screengrab in Popscene however confirms there was an audience in the DLT/Vance second Xmas show a week later.
    If only Savile & DLT had done one show and then Powell and Vance the other one together!
    SgtRock wrote: »
    So just crop out Jimmy and mute his side of the conversations. What would be weird about that?? :)
    They often blur out the faces of people on certain TV reports and things nowadays in a quite effective fashion, and even logo's on people's tops they don't want shown, or number plates as well.

Someone is likely going to come along wondering why we don't shut up about this subject once and for all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Al Fresco at No1 looks like Rick Astley's boring older brother! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Al Fresco at No1 looks like Rick Astley's boring older brother! :o

I Think Al Fresco is Mike Martin because he mimed to Leo Sayer in the Pilot and mentioned about it on The Story Of 1980 programme.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic, but have many of you seen TOTP from other countries, I used to have an old analogue satellite system back in the late 90s and watched a lot of very good stuff on the RTL TOTP on 19.0 east. I have some recordings but no video player to watch them on:(

My young teenage kids loved it :)

Link:https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Top+of+the+Pops+%28RTL%29+
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If only Savile & DLT had done one show and then Powell and Vance the other one together!

They often blur out the faces of people on certain TV reports and things nowadays in a quite effective fashion, and even logo's on people's tops they don't want shown, or number plates as well.

Someone is likely going to come along wondering why we don't shut up about this subject once and for all.
    You can find those yewtreed episodes most times online and can download them if you choose. The quality isn't going to be as good, mind. We have done rather well so far up to this point of the year (August 1980), with only three episodes not shown. However, there are eight yewtreed episodes including the new years day retrospective show, coming up. I think in part the absence of Kid Jensen gave the likes of Savile and Dave Lee Travis an extended run at presenting which maybe wouldn't have otherwise been the case. I have some of those missing late 1980 episodes recorded off UK Gold, but the quality on some are very poor. I notice Travis especially, his a high profile again presenting through 1981 and 82, despite him beginning to age most noticeable during those couple of years. It was in late 1980 that i went to see my one and only Radio One football match at St. Andrews. I can remember Travis shouting loudly from the touchline. I think he always did enjoy drawing attention to himself.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton must be the best advert a singer could ever have as in acting as a warning against the dangers of heavy cocaine abuse. Yes, the voice ages over time as the likes of Jagger, Ferry, McCartney, Stewart etc. demonstrate, but cocaine is what robbed Elton of his voice initially and prompted his voice operation in the eighties. Yes, he can sort of get by a bit on record (although he's still nothing like he once was), but live his voice is torn to shreds.

A couple of years ago Dermot O'Leary introduced a live concert by Elton John on ITV in recognition of his Brits Icon Award and it seemed to me then that his voice was shot to pieces. IIRC every hit was sung in the same key which was particularly noticeable on 'Rocket Man' - his "youthful" falsetto featured prominently throughout all the verses/choruses in the original studio recording but he didn't vary his vocal pitch once on stage that night and delivered the entire song in a relentless monotone.
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I don't remotely know the story behind that song and why he did what he did, but, I've always assumed that 'Hot Love' was hugely influenced by 'Hey Jude' in the way that he conceived and executed it and that Mr B was trying to create a similar song for his subsequent generation. Which, if that indeed was the case, I think he achieved admirably. I do love that song and would rank it very high of his material along with my personal favourites, 'Children of the Revolution' and 'Teenage Dream' - a shocking under performer chart wise, but I think his best days were long behind him in that respect when that one came out.

There was a brief discussion of T. Rex's dwindling chart fortunes on the POTP thread just 10 days ago after 'The Groover' single was played as part of the June 1973 chart which left some posters decidedly underwhelmed. I have included a link to the relevant page below if you're interested.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1832163&page=210

This evening I came across a clip of T. Rex miming to 'Jeepster' on the German 'Disco' pop show in 1972 which I had never seen before. It was a surprise as I know Marc Bolan refused to promote the single when his previous record label 'Fly' released it in the UK without his permission which explains why he never performed it in the TOTP studio and the BBC had to fall back on some live concert footage as the record climbed the chart. The 'Disco' clip was actually uploaded 21 months ago and the picture/sound are not of the same quality as the 'Hits A Go Go!'' one but probably well worth a watch if you are not already familiar with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzRJmMcfc8
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not particularly relevant to any current discussion here at the moment, but I've been addicted to this song recently and I love the people trying to get out of the way of the camera. I can just imagine the camera operator saying "get out of the way!" as he tries to move. Can't imagine it today, shows today are much too 'slick' and wouldn't have the audience so close to the band. This is partly why I love TOTP.

Should probably be on next year.

Japan - Visions of China
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    Should probably be on next year.

Japan - Visions of China

That clip is from The Oxford Road Show, not TOTP (in case you're not aware … ;-)) - and, as I recall, 'Visions Of China' was never granted a TOTP slot beyond a brief video clip, if that.

I love Japan (unlike someone else on this thread, who was rude about them! :p) - but, like the original Ultravox and also Bill Nelson, they were slightly out of sync with the times in which they issued music. Shame …
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I love Japan (unlike someone else on this thread, who was rude about them! :p) - but, like the original Ultravox and also Bill Nelson, they were slightly out of sync with the times in which they issued music. Shame …

They were out of sync with thetimes because they were using Bowie's 1977 look and sound, with a pinch of Numan's 1979 sneering.

Never understood the love for them. I knew Sylvian from my days in Greenwich and he was a pretentious knob.
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That clip is from The Oxford Road Show, not TOTP (in case you're not aware … ;-)) - and, as I recall, 'Visions Of China' was never granted a TOTP slot beyond a brief video clip, if that.

Ahh I am unfamiliar with that show. Wikipedia explains that they disbanded just as they were becoming popular, which I'd say was quite cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    They were out of sync with thetimes because they were using Bowie's 1977 look and sound, with a pinch of Numan's 1979 sneering.

Never understood the love for them. I knew Sylvian from my days in Greenwich and he was a pretentious knob.

Where to start?!?

Bowie's 1977 look and sound were plundered by many in 1978 and 1979 - not least Gary Numan … and, of course, the whole new romantic scene. So whatever Japan took from Bowie (and I'd argue not that much - more from Brian Eno), they weren't alone.

But Japan in 1979 were ahead of the curve, because the futurist/NR scene was in its very early stages - i.e. at least a year ahead of Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran breaking through … so, although they were adopted by that scene (indeed, Duran Duran owed them a huge debt, musically and stylistically), it was too underground to make any impact, so Japan's link to it counted for nothing.

Numan, oddly, was never rated by the New Romantics - probably because they were so loyal to Bowie … but he clearly rated Japan, as he got the group's Mick Karn and Rob Dean to play on his 1981 album Dance. Then he hired someone else to mimic Karn's distinctive fretless bass on 1982's I, Assassin.

I have to add that if Japan borrowed as heavily as you suggest from Bowie and Numan, they would probably have been more interest to their first record company, who dropped them in 1979. Then, when they realised what they'd lost, they milked as much as they could from their back catalogue … hence the glut of Japan singles in the charts in late 1981 and early 1982.

As for what Sylvian being pretentious, I can't comment, but I think you could write a long list of pretentious musicians. And I don't think he'd be anywhere near the top …
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    Ahh I am unfamiliar with that show. Wikipedia explains that they disbanded just as they were becoming popular, which I'd say was quite cool.

If you're interested in Japan, this is quite a good overview of their history and why it all fell apart just when they broke through …

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/apr/10/popandrock1
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some of that was very amusing, very well made as well. I watched the first couple of videos thinking "who the f*%k is this" before realising it was the studio crew and made around the pilot episode. :blush: The PP/BA links are great.
    There was a brief discussion of T. Rex's dwindling chart fortunes on the POTP thread just 10 days ago after 'The Groover' single was played as part of the June 1973 chart which left some posters decidedly underwhelmed. I have included a link to the relevant page below if you're interested.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1832163&page=210

This evening I came across a clip of T. Rex miming to 'Jeepster' on the German 'Disco' pop show in 1972 which I had never seen before. It was a surprise as I know Marc Bolan refused to promote the single when his previous record label 'Fly' released it in the UK without his permission which explains why he never performed it in the TOTP studio and the BBC had to fall back on some live concert footage as the record climbed the chart. The 'Disco' clip was actually uploaded 21 months ago and the picture/sound are not of the same quality as the 'Hits A Go Go!'' one but probably well worth a watch if you are not already familiar with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzRJmMcfc8

Nice Bolan clip. He doesn't do it overly obsessively in that one but I'm always amused by his TOTP appearances with regard how much he glances at the overhead monitors to check out which camera he's on and how he's looking. It always prompts a little pout or guitar pose for the cameras benefit which has always made me think "I bet he practiced that one in the bedroom mirror beforehand". ;-)

Thanks also for the POTP thread link. I keep forgetting about that programmes existence and must make an effort to listen in and join in the chat as looks very interesting.
    If you're interested in Japan, this is quite a good overview of their history and why it all fell apart just when they broke through …

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2005/apr/10/popandrock1

Very interesting read and Sylvian is a undoubtedly a fascinating man. I've never heard a Japan album but have half a dozen or so of their singles and a couple of album tracks, which I love. He was a striking looking man back then, "the most beautiful man in pop" allegedly. Had great hair but influenced Lady Di's look? not sure about that. Although thinking about it they were distinct similarities. :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight is the night as BBC Four show the first episode of Top Of The Pops with Michael Hurll as Producer the chart rundown is at parts of the programme not at the beginning and the audience are in a party mood.
This discussion has been closed.