Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was young back in the seventies I was a big David Bowie fan and read everything there was to know about him etc. He had loads and loads of girls throwing themselves at him. But recently I was reading about groupies of the time and one girl's name was mentioned that always seemed to be hanging around Bowie with her other groupie friend and that was American Sable Star. The article gave her age at the time as 13 and so was her friend and thinking back I remember reading at the time she was 13 and I just took it as part and parcel and never seemed to think it was out of the ordinary.
    Back then anything seemed to go.

Yeah, then there were the Eighties with the Mandy Smith/ Bill Wyman fiasco, Amanda de Cadanet, Emma Ridley et al...all very young (pre-or just abou 16) girls seemingly getting into nightclubs with impunity and hanging around with the 'rock and roll' guys of the era. Wasn't 'Stringfellows' one of the hotspots? My dad used to get the News of the World and they were always ranting on about it on the front pages- photos of the aforementioned in skimpy outfits adorning several pages full of faux outrage and titillation. Was a bit sickening, really. Still, it was kind of 'accepted' back then.

Is it that things have never really changed but we keep on seeing the 'past' as somehow different (and more shocking) from the 'present'. Are young girls and women still being sexualized in this way, especially with imagery available on the internet? I honestly don't know.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paedophile who sent sexually explicit messages to 14-year-old girl on Facebook arrives at court wearing cape and sunglasses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2282907/Paedophile-sent-sexually-explicit-messages-14-year-old-girl-Facebook-arrives-ar-court-wearing-cape-sunglasses.html

Who does he think he is.... one of batman's evil enemies on a mobility scooter?
    He could drive around the prison like that, give 'em some entertainment !

Of course, he hasn't been sent to prison, he was found in possession of a level 5 video (5 is the worst on the scale)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Hewlett on BBC News. Says the documents published yesterday completely confirms Pollard's report efore Xmas.
    He doesn't think the redactions are as big an issue as some other commentators do.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Why would it be necessarily questioned though? Its not like the term 'Girls' or even 'Young Girls' is one that means underage or is used exclusively to mean underage. While it may be creepy its hardly illegal to have sex with someone say between the ages of 16-21 who will often be referred to as one of those two terms rather than young women.

Its just easy to assume its sinister now due to whats come to light but without that any comments from Saville himself or rumours using such terms could be viewed as not being a concern

And lets be honest people from a certain generation and before refer to every women younger than them as "Young Girl" or "Young lady" and I'm sure we have all seen examples where women in their 30's or 40's are addressed by retirement age men in such terms so its likely it seemed a less unusual choice of phrase than it might today to those under 25.

I take your point but the fact that he was talking about parents of one of the girls and also mentioned a girl 'leaving when she was 13' in another answer and him being 4 years old climbing a ladder to a '16' year old girl and having success in the same area ever since are pointers to his predilections.

He was always talking about the age of girls: "She told me she was 16" and so on but it was shrugged off as "Just Jimmy". "16" was very significant to him as he mentioned it quite a bit along with occasional "underage sex". As proof of anything, it's difficult.

I have seen cases, one famous one, where comments and writings made by the defendant have been used against them. JS has many writings, interviews and quotes. It does seem both odd that they weren't taken more notice of and alsothat he is an unusual case.;):(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, his comment to the young policewoman about "If were to go I would bring half of the station down with me" is coming about in many directions.

You remember he was shown a picture of an "attractive young lady" runaway and asked to tell the police if she came into his club. He replied that he would do this with the proviso that he spend the night with her first then bring her to the station in the morning. It is in his autobiography 1970s along with the quote above.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading the talk about young groupies or otherwise young 'tweens'/teens hanging around and/or sleeping with celebrities, its making me wonder about teen pregnancies - were there more teen pregnancies in the 60s-80s? when I was a teenager, there was alot of talk and criticism/worry over teen pregnancies but I'm guessing it wasn't only prevalent in the 90s(!). Didn't women tend to have children at a much younger age in previous centuries? just curious (if its not too off topic to ask?). Of course they might have all practiced safe sex, I'm not saying they didn't, I was just curious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Reading the talk about young groupies or otherwise young 'tweens'/teens hanging around and/or sleeping with celebrities, its making me wonder about teen pregnancies - were there more teen pregnancies in the 60s-80s? when I was a teenager, there was alot of talk and criticism/worry over teen pregnancies but I'm guessing it wasn't only prevalent in the 90s(!). Didn't women tend to have children at a much younger age in previous centuries? just curious (if its not too off topic to ask?). Of course they might have all practiced safe sex, I'm not saying they didn't, I was just curious.

Hi Izzy. :)

I've found this link which shows the fluctuation. It appears to suggest a decline in recent times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9497270/Sex-education-doesnt-cut-teen-pregnancy-rate-claims-academic.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Hi Izzy. :)

I've found this link which shows the fluctuation. It appears to suggest a decline in recent times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9497270/Sex-education-doesnt-cut-teen-pregnancy-rate-claims-academic.html

Thanks :) its interesting what it says about the Netherlands
    he cited the Netherlands, saying the country had the lowest teen pregnancy rate in Europe because the Dutch had “an open and accepting attitude towards teenage sexuality, widely available information and sex education, and easy access to confidential contraceptive services”.

don't we have a similar attitude here? presmuing an accepting attitude is meant towards teenagers sleeping with each other, rather than with much older people of course...
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    Steve Hewlett on BBC News. Says the documents published yesterday completely confirms Pollard's report efore Xmas.
    He doesn't think the redactions are as big an issue as some other commentators do.

Most of the redacts I've seen relate to victims and their allegations, others relate to who might have leaked material and surprising number seem to relate to someone who doesn't work at the BBC.

There are some odd redacts, for example references to a previous investigation carried out by Merion Jones which showed how good his work is.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member

In the 60's and possibly 70's wouldn't being unmarried and pregnant have been regarded as shameful, and a shotgun wedding or a back street abortion were the options?

These days, particularly in urban areas I doubt there's any shame or attempts to cover up such things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    In the 60's and possibly 70's wouldn't being unmarried and pregnant have been regarded as shameful, and a shotgun wedding or a back street abortion were the options?

These days, particularly in urban areas I doubt there's any shame or attempts to cover up such things.

Thats true. I was thinking more along the lines that it was known teenagers were more promiscuous after the introduction of the morning after pill and so on, teenage pregnancies were frowned upon but I don't believe there was a particularly big moral drive to outright stop/prevent teens from having sex at all (I could be wrong though?).

When I've seen the ocassional documentary about the 50s/60s they tend to talk about how it was a time of sexual liberation and that teenagers as a modern concept first 'came into being' then (if that makes any sense?), that it was something of a revolution and that people enjoyed the freedom they suddenly seemed to have. It must have been a bit of a culture shock for the older generations then, seeing teens being introduced to the idea of sleeping around rather than settling down and marrying beforehand. I didn't think sex education was particularly great when I was at school, I can only imagine it was even more sparse some 40 odd years ago(!). That was then and this is now though, of course. In America you hear about abstinence rings being promoted in school, for faith/religious reasons but I haven't heard of that concept being popular here. They just tell you what might happen, try to get you to think about it and explain contraception, thats about it I think.

Thinking about things nowadays, the shame would be appearing on The Jeremy Kyle show to talk about it, if your kid might belong to your 2nd cousin 3rd removed or something! :eek: (lol j/k).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :) its interesting what it says about the Netherlands

don't we have a similar attitude here? presmuing an accepting attitude is meant towards teenagers sleeping with each other, rather than with much older people of course...

Yes, it is interesting re the Netherlands.

One thing's for sure, JS had an accepting attitude to sleeping with teenagers.
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Yes it was regarded as shameful being unmarried and pregnant back in the sixties and the seventies. The arbortion act was pushed through by the David Steel the liberal leader I think towards the late sixties so a woman was able to get an arbortion on the NHS and not have to go to some backstreet abortionist.
    That said as the seventies progressed it wasn't so much being looked down if you were unmarried and pregnant and it was during this decade that the goverment allowed for unmarried mothers to be able to get a council flat and benefits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is interesting re the Netherlands.

One thing's for sure, JS had an accepting attitude to sleeping with teenagers.

More like some sort of need? ugh :( I do wonder about the psychology when it came to him, there was something bizarre going on because I've read friends of him talk (after he died) about how he secretly feared getting old and there were quotes from him about sleeping with young girls as a way of keeping him young somehow - people also complained about him dressing inappropriately like a young person when he was old, like in his 70s and 80s. Its like he didn't want to acknowledge his age I suppose...there's something a little bizarre about it - I'd have wondered if he was able to maintain 'proper' relationships with adults only apparently he did so what that fear was all about, I don't know.

It would be interesting if they'd done a brain scan to look for abnormalities, I can only presume that there must have been some missing or defective genes somewhere?.
    Yes it was regarded as shameful being unmarried and pregnant back in the sixties and the seventies. The arbortion act was pushed through by the David Steel the liberal leader I think towards the late sixties so a woman was able to get an arbortion on the NHS and not have to go to some backstreet abortionist.
    That said as the seventies progressed it wasn't so much being looked down if you were unmarried and pregnant and it was during this decade that the goverment allowed for unmarried mothers to be able to get a council flat and benefits.

Just as well - that story about the girl in ireland who died after not being able to get the abortion was really sad :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Watts‏ @MarkWatts_1
    Late tonight on @ExaroNews, more damning evidence on Elm Guest House from a former senior official at Richmond council. #Fernbridge
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to see a TOTP clip from the seventies and had to switch it off when Savile's face appeared. I just couldn't even bear looking at it and I wish Youtube would try and delete him from old clips.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like some sort of need? ugh :( I do wonder about the psychology when it came to him, there was something bizarre going on because I've read friends of him talk (after he died) about how he secretly feared getting old and there were quotes from him about sleeping with young girls as a way of keeping him young somehow - people also complained about him dressing inappropriately like a young person when he was old, like in his 70s and 80s. Its like he didn't want to acknowledge his age I suppose...there's something a little bizarre about it - I'd have wondered if he was able to maintain 'proper' relationships with adults only apparently he did so what that fear was all about, I don't know.

It would be interesting if they'd done a brain scan to look for abnormalities, I can only presume that there must have been some missing or defective genes somewhere?.

Just as well - that story about the girl in ireland who died after not being able to get the abortion was really sad :(

Good points. BIB Not surprising that people talk about 'witchcraft' when he himself talked of it on some level. (Young girls as sacrificial symbols to virility.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I wanted to see a TOTP clip from the seventies and had to switch it off when Savile's face appeared. I just couldn't even bear looking at it and I wish Youtube would try and delete him from old clips.

That pop-eyed look in photographs and elswhere was a speciality - I wonder how that would be analysed.

Piers Morgan laughed off "She told me she was over 16" as "It's obviously a joke" etc.:

http://order-order.com/2012/10/02/piers-morgan-laughed-off-saviles-underage-sex-joke/

Jimmy protested a little too much overall. Along with openly boasting when it suited him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good points. BIB Not surprising that people talk about 'witchcraft' when he himself talked of it on some level. (Young girls as sacrificial symbols to virility.)

They do? :confused: that makes me (again) think of The Wicker Man - creepy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ExaroNews ‏@ExaroNews
    Another 2 pieces in our investigation into VIPs who allegedly sexually abused children at Elm Guest House.#Fernbridge http://www.exaronews.com/articles/4867/richmond-council-was-alerted-to-allegations-of-child-sex-abuse
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problems with the redactions. As we don't know the context of the redacted bits. If for example a patient asks for their medical records any 3rd party comments are redacted. So Jeremy Paxman says " it is common knowledge that ******", could easily be ...that Person x said Y".
    I think the report is damning enough, also why should the 90% idiotic public be told everything? It's an internal enquiry, not a witch hunt or public enquiry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tory MP's file on alleged VIP child abuse ring was destroyed by family
    23 Feb 2013 21:11
    Campaigning MP Geoffrey Dickens' widow ordered destruction of 'sensitive' dossier

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/elm-guest-house-abuse-scandal--1728050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Journos have had time to sift through the Pollard documents released yesterday:

BBC knew of Jimmy Savile's 'dark side' before tribute aired
    Transcripts from the Pollard review reveal some senior executives were 'queasy' about tribute programme
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/23/bbc-knew-jimmy-savile-tribute

"New evidence shows that Jan Younghusband, the BBC's head of music and obituaries, told George Entwistle, who was then in charge of television output, that she had been asked not to make an obituary "because of the darker side of the story"."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liberal Democrats hit by new raft of sex pest claims
    The Liberal Democrats were hit by fresh allegations of sexual misconduct and cover-up Saturday night as the party admitted it had failed to “fully live up to our political ideals”.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/9890249/Liberal-Democrats-hit-by-new-raft-of-sex-pest-claims.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of news tonight.
    Developments in the Savile, Lib Dem and Elm Guest House strands.
This discussion has been closed.