Anne and Anton are not funny no more

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Yes, it is meant to be an "entertainment" show but what I find myself questioning yet again is WHY does that mean everything has to be brought down to a level to suit the lowest common denominator...

It may come as news to some, but people with a mental age of more than five also pay their licence fee and they want to be entertained too!

Not everyone's idea of entertainment consists of watching some overweight woman being dragged around the floor like a sack :rolleyes:

I really do see your point, but its Saturday teatime prime time entertainment. Its for families to enjoy together, young and old. There is something for everyone to enjoy, of all ages - physical and mental.

As far as I remember its never tried to pretend Anne is a serious contender, same with John Sargeant etc, these people knew they weren't serious dancers. If it was a serious dance contest they wouldn't have asked Anne, John Sargeant, Kate Garroway, Bill Turnbull, David Dickinson, Julian Clary etc etc to take part but all of those people and others have entertained all sorts of people in the same way that 'serious' dance fans have been lucky enough to enjoy watching Mark Ramprakash, Jill Halfpenny, Ricky Whittle, etc become seriously decent dancers.

There's something for everyone. Indeed, everyone pays a tv license, whether for themselves or their kids. Its just fun telly. :)
  • franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing for me is that if this is an entertainment show as well as a dancing show (and it clearly is) then we're voting on personality as well as dancing, in which case Ann's political views are a part of her public personality for many of us watching and therefore do factor into our enjoyment of both her personality and her dancing. I'm not appalled by her staying in because fair enough, more people like watching her/ are willing to vote for her than are willing to vote for Tina, Felicity or Goldie (I'm leaving out Peter and Paul because I don't think many people would argue that either of them had the potential to give good dances anyway). However from my point of view many of her political views were pretty repellent and I can (and will) watch somebody of her standard dancing if I go to my local tea dance, I don't need to watch Strictly to do so (and frankly she doesn't need a top flight teacher and dancer to attain the standard that she has so far). For those reasons, I won't vote for her. She just doesn't entertain me nearly as much as some of the others. If I'm in the minority then so be it. I won't storm off but I will be disappointed if Kara, Pamela, Matt or Scott leave before she does. Oh, and the fact that many people used to/ still do agree with Section 28 doesn't make the views it contains any less offensive towards homosexuals in my book.

On the comedy angle, different people find different things funny. I can see why people are amused by her antics and her replies to the judges and I admit, she makes me smile sometimes, but for me it's all a tad obvious. She's there as the comedy contestant, she's allowed to come in on wires, she's the only celebrity who will never be told to "turn up and shut up" to quote Len or be told she ought not to complain/ answer back. She and Anton are the comedy turn in a very slapstick, Laurel and Hardy, Chuckle Brothers kind of way. Sadly I'm more inclined towards dry irony, hence I think Gavin and Katya are often (probably unintentionally) hilarious. :) Off the dancefloor, that is. He's dull as dishwater on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like a four year old again in this thread: 'Stop being silly and do not vote for Ann!' I would just like to say that I love the show, have watched from the start and have supported a whole host of past celebrities. I am tired of being told that 'real' fans are not voting for Ann.

I'm voting for her because I enjoy watching her. If I had the choice, I would skip Michelle, Felicity and Gavin to see Ann dance, and no doubt many viewers would agree with that and maybe add Patsy and Jimi to the list.

I must say that many of the SCD forumites do make some people (not me) determined to vote for Ann- anyone would think this is an international dance contest and Ann is threatening to beat Margot Fonteyn. It is a light-hearted entertainment show.

Do I want Ann to win? No. Do I think she will win? No. But for the time being, she's making people laugh and watch. Look at the ratings.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,855
    Forum Member
    To those who are saying, I wish people would stop voting for her. How do you know that its not really the General Public voting but could be her former colleagues in the Tory Parliamentery Party and wider party? Many of them I wouldn't be surprised have very deep pockets.

I've read/heard that 15 of the Tory Cabinet members are millionaires to give you an example.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    To those who are saying, I wish people would stop voting for her. How do you know that its not really the General Public voting but could be her former colleagues in the Tory Parliamentery Party and wider party? Many of them I wouldn't be surprised have very deep pockets.

I've read/heard that 15 of the Tory Cabinet members are millionaires to give you an example.

OMG...now it's a right wing conspiracy:)
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather watch Ann and Anton anyday than Gavin Henson. I dohope on his Xmas list he remembers that from Santa he would like a personality. It beggars belief how he ended up with Charlotte Church
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand some people's frustration but it still comes down to entertainment. Michelle and Gavin are not entertaining OR good dancers so would rather Ann got to Blackpool, did one more dance there and then got voted out.
  • franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

Much as I would love to believe this, I'm pretty sure that people just like watching her. I was surprised to hear my step mother admit to quite liking her at the weekend, and she has no time for Ann's politics whatsoever. (My dad still can't stand her :D) My housemate has also liked in the past, though she was stunned by this week's result and thinks the joke is over now.

Also let's be honest about this, it happens every year. The first series I watched seriously was series 5, when we lost an apparent front runner in Gabby while Kate and Kenny both stayed. Kenny was actually there until final five, outlasting both Gabby and Penny (and Kelly, technically, though it's impossible to say what would have happened if she hadn't had to pull out). The following year we had John Seargent, which was suddenly a massive event (for reasons I still don't understand). Last year there was Craig. Chris Parker and Julian Clary both made the final in their series, didn't they? The only way that Ann actually changes anything is if she wins outright. Strictly only really works as a Saturday night entertainment show because the good dancers entertain (and give the show some credibility to) dance enthusiasts *and* the bad dancers entertain people who aren't really interested in dancing. It's the combination (and the tension that often creates) that has made the show a hit.
  • don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by cookie_365
    I can think of only a few things that odious, spiteful, antisemitic, homophobic bigot could ever do to make me laugh, but none of them are likely to take place on a dancefloor.

Perhaps you should check the definition of "bigot". To describe someone in those terms seems to me to be equally bigotted!
  • RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blowup wrote: »
    Her dances are boring. People think its ironic to vote for her but its just dull.

Absolutely. Mildly amusing at first, but no longer funny, just boring. Her dances are quite useful if you want to nip into the kitchen and make a cup of coffee before the next proper dancer comes on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should check the definition of "bigot". To describe someone in those terms seems to me to be equally bigotted!

Quite correct and there is little evidence for most of the bigotted description of Ann anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richwood wrote: »
    Absolutely. Mildly amusing at first, but no longer funny, just boring. Her dances are quite useful if you want to nip into the kitchen and make a cup of coffee before the next proper dancer comes on.

Ok that is your view but my coffee break comes during the ghastly Gavin's slot.
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doug P wrote: »
    Ok that is your view but my coffee break comes during the ghastly Gavin's slot.

And mine is when Felicity is bending.

I haven't voted for Ann and I am not sure I ever would (I have been 'accused in the past of, that damning of all insult here on the SCD boards, being a purist :eek::eek:) but I must admit that after last years horror I am getting a certain sense of satisfaction at all the angst she is creating. :D
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think this article sums it up for me-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/11/01/strictly-come-dancing-ann-widdecombe-and-anton-du-beke-are-axis-of-evil-115875-22679685/

I am also a bit disturbed by how they are trying to turn Ann into some sort of national treasure. Maybe her views aren't known to everyone but I think a lot of people find them deeply offensive. She isn't some cuddly Queen Mother type person that the show is trying to portray her as. No doubt some people will say her views are her own business but when her "business" was actually espousing these views I think you have to take a different line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yenston wrote: »

I wouldn't believe the Mirror on a Conservative anymore than I would the Sun on Labour. Anyway it's a dance show and it's not as if she'll be doing reality tv for the rest of her life......
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I think people like Ann Widdecombe as a person, despite her strong views. I must admit to falling into this category, I abhor her politics and always have but there is something about her that I find likeable. The Mirror article says nothing new about Ann Widdecombe, it does remind us of Anton's behaviour of last year, which I had not forgotten and which I found frankly disgusting.

I am still waiting to hear why Ann was called antisemitic in an earlier post. I am sure that cannot be true.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    What have her political views got to do with her ability to dance?

I have to laugh when people rave about the credibility of the show and the standards of dance, but then attack personalities.

You only have to look at the threads of this forum, most of them are about the contestants personalities and age/looks rather than their dance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann Widdecombe is well known for her views that a gay lifestyle should not have equal validity with a heterosexual one. She has voted against gay rights on almost every issue that has ever arisen in the house while she has been an mp, abstaining on the few other occasions. To my mind, that makes her clearly homophobic.

You clearly think she's homophobic and that's your entitlement but now convince me that the other remaining contestants aren't. Just because of who she is and her views are publicly known she's easy to attack. As I've said before, at least you know what you get with Ann and she's not hiding behind a well protected public image. I doubt, in truth, if you have any idea the other contestants views on such a subject.

Stop singling her out. This is an entertainment show for pitys sake!

Oh and btw I'm not a fan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    What have her political views got to do with her ability to dance?

You're missing the point. I, and others like me, are not actually criticising her dance ability. I'm criticising the hype around her (mostly BBC generated) which is trying to turn her into a loveable personality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    number six wrote: »
    Can you imagine the vitriol from Brendan if he and Michelle had gone out tonight whilst Ms Widdicome stayed in!

I doubt there'll be any, he was a big supporter of JS if I remember correctly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing the point. I, and others like me, are not actually criticising her dance ability. I'm criticising the hype around her (mostly BBC generated) which is trying to turn her into a loveable personality.

So anyone who votes for Ann for entertaining them is thinking she is loveable. Gavin and Scott are not loveable either. Just because Ann used to be an MP.... Ken Livingstone is equally dodgy so perhaps we should turn him into a cult next year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KipsKaz wrote: »
    You clearly think she's homophobic and that's your entitlement but now convince me that the other remaining contestants aren't. Just because of who she is and her views are publicly known she's easy to attack. As I've said before, at least you know what you get with Ann and she's not hiding behind a well protected public image. I doubt, in truth, if you have any idea the other contestants views on such a subject.

Stop singling her out. This is an entertainment show for pitys sake!

Oh and btw I'm not a fan.

Someone else missing the point. The other contestants views aren't relevant because their career has nothing to do with their views. Ann's did. She is on the show because of her political career, in which her views were used to vote on issues which effect the public. That's the difference. Her views were her career. I suppose you think that if Nick Griffin was a contestant people shouldn't complain?
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member

I'm not missing the point, I think you probably are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KipsKaz wrote: »
    I doubt there'll be any, he was a big supporter of JS if I remember correctly.

Before or after Kelly had to pull out? ;)

Ann's not bothering me yet, because I'm still finding her quite watchable. Half of her watchability is in a 'how has Anton decided to get round her lack of skills this week?' and the other half is 'oh God, that is just SOOOO car-crash bad'.

When a decent dancer, a genuinely skilled, potential-finalist dancer is voted out instead of Ann, then I'll start worrying. Until then, there's plenty of fodder left in the shape of Gavin, Michelle, Felicity, and even Jimi and Patsy (who, reasonable as they are, aren't on a level with the Big Four for me).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else missing the point. The other contestants views aren't relevant because their career has nothing to do with their views. Ann's did. She is on the show because of her political career, in which her views were used to vote on issues which effect the public. That's the difference. Her views were her career. I suppose you think that if Nick Griffin was a contestant people shouldn't complain?

The comparison with Nick Griffin is unworthy.