Options

The Island Bear Grylls

Comments

• Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh basically it's a prejudice on whether someone like's someone's face or not, something seen every day but also extremely shallow and always arrogant in its assumptions.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say that I liked or disliked her face. I said she had a cruel face. She has an attractive face but a cruel one too. I neither like or dislike her face. To me she has a cruel face. Not prejudiced against her, just made an observation. I am not the one making arrogant assumptions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They said in the commentary that he was a keen fisherman. I thought it was interesting how much difference it made, speaking as someone who has never fished in my life. It looks as if he is just sitting there with a line, but there must be quite a skill because no one else has caught anything at all, even sitting there for hours and hours.
    My point about the crocodile being 'accidental' is that the tv crew did not know it was there. The men were supposed to kill the caimans which had been brought there for the purpose. I wasn't making a comment about the skill. I thought they did well. The women's problem was simply that their planted animal was adorable: affectionate, loving, very much a pet. I don't know how easy the men would have found it to kill piglets that cuddled up to them looking heart-breakingly sweet and loyal. I admired Lauren both times for the calm, unfussy way she did what had to be done. We may never know. The men have seen no piglets and the women have seen no caimans. Nor, unless I have missed something, do we know the meaning of next week's trailer. ]

She is very beautiful. I don't have a crush, but neither do I invent cruel faces.

Yeh same here with fishing, you wouldn't think there could be that much difference between Vic standing there, and another guy, strange.

Funny you say that, I don't think I could kill the piglets, but I could kill the croc.

Lauren is tremendous, how can she look so good after being on a desert island for 3 weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    Wrong. The women trapped the pig with the snare but couldn't catch it - it ran away. They caught the pig again while it was sleeping.
    Yes, I saw it. And they carefully planned who would jump on its body, who would hold its head etc. They did well.

From the way your attempt to diminish the ingenuity of the men finding a different way to light the fire, I'd say you are indeed trying to detract the men's effort.
    I don't know why you are arguing this. The men had a piece of equipment that the women didn't have. It wouldn't have mattered how fantastically ingenious they were with glasses, since they didn't have any. It makes no more sense than saying the men were extra clever if they had found a box of matches in their first aid kit.

See, this clearly shows how disingenuous your argument is. It is the ingenuity on the men's part to come up with the idea of using the glasses to light the fire, using something not supplied by the production crew, but their own brain.
    Lol, it was 'supplied by' the optician.

Funny you say that, I don't think I could kill the piglets, but I could kill the croc.
    I know, I feel the same. I mean obviously there might be a physical difficulty in killing the croc - it looked a tough old customer - but there was nothing like the emotional hit of killing a trusting little beast that had been curled up at your feet for days.
    Lauren is tremendous, how can she look so good after being on a desert island for 3 weeks.
    Yes, bah. To think what I look like after one bad night's sleep. :cry:
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Yes, I saw it. And they carefully planned who would jump on its body, who would hold its head etc. They did well.
    Only after they let the pig to get away the first time. So no, the women did not catch the pig in any similar way to the men when the pig in the snare got away.
    I don't know why you are arguing this. The men had a piece of equipment that the women didn't have. It wouldn't have mattered how fantastically ingenious they were with glasses, since they didn't have any.
    Apparently you think inspiration and ingenuity are easy. Using things they are not designed to do is ingenuity. Do tell me, how many inspired ideas have ever you had? Are you one of the hidden geniuses who have plenty of ingenuous ideas? Why would you think that the women would have come up with such idea even if they had glasses?
    It makes no more sense than saying the men were extra clever if they had found a box of matches in their first aid kit.
    If you can't see that glasses are not matches, then there is no hope for you.

Now if you can use actual items normally found in first aid kit for starting fire (or other task they are not meant for), then you are using your own ingenuity.
    Lol, it was 'supplied by' the optician.
    Yes, for improving eye sight. Let me know if your optician supply you with matches to improve you eyesight.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    If you can't see that glasses are not matches, then there is no hope for you.

Yes, for improving eye sight. Let me know if your optician supply you with matches to improve you eyesight.

I thought you might have learned something after the stupid guff you came out with on the other Bear related thread, it seems not.

You're a fierce test of patience.
    Quote from earlier in the thread.
    No they borrowed it from School science lessons and from small boys who've been burning ants and other things with magnify glasses and glasses since before television was invented.
    It was actually suggested last year IIRC on this forum that they could use a glass bottle bottom to do the same thing.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72519642
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought you might have learned something after the stupid guff you came out with on the other Bear related thread, it seems not.
    Easier to make bland statement than actually spelling out and debating what's wrong with I said. So why don't you give it a go - do you actually have the ingenuity to think of different ways of making fire when you are stranded in an island using things they are not designed to do so? (You know, something you thought of yourself instead of speaking like an expert after you have seen other people done it? People in the internet are full of experts like that who pretend they know a lot. Last year we have plenty of women spouting about how they'd do better than the men on the island, now we know that it's all talk.)

Talk by armchair experts is cheap.
    You're a fierce test of patience.
    Quote from earlier in the thread.
    Apparently you can't stop yourself.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say that I liked or disliked her face. I said she had a cruel face. She has an attractive face but a cruel one too. I neither like or dislike her face. To me she has a cruel face. Not prejudiced against her, just made an observation. I am not the one making arrogant assumptions.

Yes you are. I suppose someone who has an 'attractive' face for you cannot therefore be cruel. lol. It's the typical way that people bring in faulty judgements and then try and excuse them. Your observations are both subjective and pointless. And you wanted to accuse me of just liking someone because of their looks, lol.

As for the fire starting that people are discussing, I'm sure all of them must have had some techniques explained before they went.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently you think inspiration and ingenuity are easy. Using things they are not designed to do is ingenuity. Do tell me, how many inspired ideas have ever you had? Are you one of the hidden geniuses who have plenty of ingenuous ideas? Why would you think that the women would have come up with such idea even if they had glasses?
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but when the men were unable to use the firebow I was sitting saying, "use your glasses! For heavens sake!"
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to point out that Lauren wears glasses, so the women have a means to light a fire that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glaston wrote: »
    Just to point out that Lauren wears glasses, so the women have a means to light a fire that way.
    Well spotted. Re-watched the earlier episodes and she did wear a pair of glasses in some shots. Another woman with glasses, Kate the furniture maker, also didn't make fire with her glasses (the rain saved them when they didn't have any water to drink). Kate left in the second episode without making a fire.

The women took 5 hours to make their first fire, the men 8. The women failed to make fire in the second attempt completely (that's after trying a few days) after their first one went out. The women managed to make a fire after reuniting, but that also took some time (3 days it would appear). We know what happened with their last attempt on the new beach. I have no idea why anyone would think that the women were great at making fire. At no time did they think of using their glasses, but that won't stop all the internet experts saying how everyone would think of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glaston wrote: »

They have to be the right kind of glasses. I can remember being cornered at a party by a physicist who was incandescent with rage at Piggy's glasses being used to make a fire in Lord of the Flies because he couldn't have done it. If you are short-sighted, your glasses will be no good at all. You could hold them in the sun all day and they would just scatter the rays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They have to be the right kind of glasses. I can remember being cornered at a party by a physicist who was incandescent with rage at Piggy's glasses being used to make a fire in Lord of the Flies because he couldn't have done it. If you are short-sighted, your glasses will be no good at all. You could hold them in the sun all day and they would just scatter the rays.
    Haha. Suddenly something that every internet expert knows how to do gets all so not straight-forward and technical.
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wish I could have told my younger self that somehow I was creating a miracle by using my glasses for shortsightedness to create fire.

I also burnt lots of ants, sad child that I was.

Hmm, upon reflection maybe I used a magnifying glass.

Anyhow the women could have used the perfume container they found, it still had flammable contents which would have been usefull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha. Suddenly something that every internet expert knows how to do gets all so not straight-forward and technical.

Well I've got a 50-50 chance of getting out of this one. :D The question is, does Lauren peer short-sightedly at things then put on glasses or stare vaguely at the horizon then put on glasses? I hadn't actually noticed her doing either, but my entire reputation as a human being clearly hinges on the answer.

On another topic....I am surprised that no one has speculated about what is happening on Wednesday. It looked properly terminal in the clip. Whatever did they do that made the producers so cross? Can anyone remember the actual words that we saw being used?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Yeh basically it's a prejudice on whether someone like's someone's face or not, something seen every day but also extremely shallow and always arrogant in its assumptions.

Everyone makes a judgement based on someone's face whether you're aware of it or you aren't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I've got a 50-50 chance of getting out of this one. :D The question is, does Lauren peer short-sightedly at things then put on glasses or stare vaguely at the horizon then put on glasses? I hadn't actually noticed her doing either, but my entire reputation as a human being clearly hinges on the answer.
    You are more likely to be short-sighted if you are younger, older people (over 40 or 50) are more likely to be long-sighted. If you are a betting person then you'd say they are likely be short-sighted.

I'm a bit unusual in that one of my eyes is slightly short-sighted, the other somewhat long-sighted. (And no, I don't wear glasses even though I have two pairs of them. One compensates for the other I find, although some people might find it odd when I close one eye when doing things like reading books and newspapers, or looking at a sign further away).
    On another topic....I am surprised that no one has speculated about what is happening on Wednesday. It looked properly terminal in the clip. Whatever did they do that made the producers so cross? Can anyone remember the actual words that we saw being used?
    I don't think they made the producers cross, more likely the producers were concerned about their welfare since one of the women collapsed. I doubt they will take them all off the island.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are more likely to be short-sighted if you are younger, older people (over 40 or 50) are more likely to be long-sighted. If you are a betting person then you'd say they are likely be short-sighted.

I'm a bit unusual in that one of my eyes is slightly short-sighted, the other somewhat long-sighted. (And no, I don't wear glasses even though I have two pairs of them. One compensates for the other I find, although some people might find it odd when I close one eye when doing things like reading books and newspapers, or looking at a sign further away).

I don't think they made the producers cross, more likely the producers were concerned about their welfare since one of the women collapsed. I doubt they will take them all off the island.

Actually you can be long or short sighted as a young person, although short sightedness is more common. Both are caused by the eye being either slightly too long or slightly too short for the lens to focus clearly on the retina. The kind of sight problem that comes on with age is caused by the lens becoming less flexible, and unable to focus on things. For people who are short sighted this has the effect of slightly correcting their short sight!

That's interesting about your eyes. My sister has contact lenses that do the same thing!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Something like "if the situation doesn't involve in 36 hours we'll have to finish the experiment"

I'm assuming something goes wrong with the food and drink leading to some sort of medical situation in the camp
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Something like "if the situation doesn't involve in 36 hours we'll have to finish the experiment"

I'm assuming something goes wrong with the food and drink leading to some sort of medical situation in the camp

Didnt we see that the women havent been boiling their drinking water properly (or at all)?
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this week , looks intriguing .
    Frankly I get the feeling that some of those on the women's island are not taking this seriously . They know if things get dire then the producers will aid them in some way . If this was true survival I reckon a few would up their game a lot , but at the moment they are content to coast along and go with the flow even with such acute hunger >:( . It's quite infuriating for me and I find myself thinking of things they could or should be doing .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Didnt we see that the women havent been boiling their drinking water properly (or at all)?

One scouting group from the Womens Island went out and found the waterfall and drank the water without boiling it, the other women got warned off doing the same thing by Dr Belinda and told to wait until it was boiled, that was a couple of weeks back.
    The Scouting group had been hacking around in the heat for however long and had probably suffered from reduced water rations, so decided to take their chances.
    They're still there so it apparently had no ill effects.
    You don't see the men boiling water either, we've had one incident when someone got burnt on the womens island.
    Assume they're boiling the water in the Jerry can.
    They've now moved camp to be near where the stream meets the sea IIRC.
    The men are an hour or 2 hours from their water source, including return trip IIRC.

Edit Ray Mears is on tonight/tomorrow 0:00 BBC Four in his Walkabout series with Les Hiddens The Bushtucker man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone makes a judgement based on someone's face whether you're aware of it or you aren't.
    She has a cruel face. She is a nurse, bit worrying!

Pick the bones out of that.
  • Options
    fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been thinking about the Womens island.

I think some of them have the mentality that the best way to survive is simply to "ride it out" doing very little other than sunbathing on the beach.

They certainly seem to have enough time to put make up on and ensure they look good on camera.

Am not even convinced they all want to make the effort to find food judging by the delight shown by one of them by the amount of weight she had lost!

Although tough as has been made clear and we have seen for ourselves there is more than enough food n the island they simply have to go out and look for it.

They have the assurance that if they really struggle they can simply phone up and get taken out.

If they are not really going to make the effort to survive then maybe they would have been better booking a beach holiday instead!
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all... Here we go