Question re dsl

MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I wonder if anyone here can help. I have a phone line and for the last few years it's worked perfectly well with my landline and wireless broadband. I start a job next week that requires me to use the dsl cable for the computer but now the phone doesn't work. I have the phone line and Internet cable going into a split connector and then into the phone line. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance very non techie person

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you've got connected where but this is how it should be connected.

At the master socket there should be a filter into which you have the broadband router and a phone plugged. On any extension sockets there should be a filter with just the phone socket on the filter in use. The small square socket on the filter must not have anything plugged into it.

To use your computer via a cable you plug an ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the computer to any of the similar ports on the router. You must not plug the ethernet port of the computer into the phone line. At best it will stop the phone working. At worst the 50V DC voltage on the line could damage your computer.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Murraymar wrote: »
    I have a phone line and for the last few years it's worked perfectly well with my landline and wireless broadband. ... I start a job next week that requires me to use the dsl cable for the computer but now the phone doesn't work.

What has changed ? Is it a case of you were using a laptop wirelessly and now you have to have it connected by a cable and doing that has stopped the phone working ?
    Anyway follow chrisjr's advice above.