My Kitchen Rules Australia series 4

Comments

• cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Yes Americans call them scallions but it seems the Aussies have their own interpretation

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook/the-name-game--spring-onions-v-shallots-20130121-2d2fg.html

Odd lot :D

Sheesh, colonials. :p
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »
    Must have been something in the sea air when they and the Americans sailed :D

Bring on tomorrow.......
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey! :p

That lot up in Sydney are a bit mixed up. Here in Melbourne we call spring onions spring onions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    Hey! :p

That lot up in Sydney are a bit mixed up. Here in Melbourne we call spring onions spring onions.
    Delighted to hear it. What the heck do they call what we know as shallots?
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delighted to hear it. What the heck do they call what we know as shallots?

To confuse things more, I don't know whether you call these shallots:
    http://www.taste.com.au/images/articles/untitled04280928.jpg

Or these (on the right).
    https://www.12wbt.com/blog/wordpress-content/uploads/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-6.41.40-pm.png

In Sydney they call the ones on the left shallots and on the right spring onions.

What anyone in Australia calls the small brown ones I have no idea. I think I've seen them called shallots in Melbourne supermarkets, but in that case I don't know what we call the ones that Sydney calls spring onions.

Is that all clear? :p
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member

Or these (on the right).
    https://www.12wbt.com/blog/wordpress-content/uploads/2014/06/Screen-Shot-2014-06-03-at-6.41.40-pm.png

In Sydney they call the ones on the left shallots and on the right spring onions.

What anyone in Australia calls the small brown ones I have no idea. I think I've seen them called shallots in Melbourne supermarkets, but in that case I don't know what we call the ones that Sydney calls spring onions.

Haha I'm from sydney and even more confused now. They were shallots but now in the UK firmly spring onions :)

OMG aren't ashlee and Sophia the most horrible people, They are so caught up in their hatred of Angela & melina who who will they blame when they go??

Ps A & M have been faves of mine

Why can't some of the more unlikeable couples stuff up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or these (on the right).

:confused:

You've got me wondering now whether there are regional variations in the UK. Proper pickled onions are usually actually shallots, at least in my neck of the woods, but that's all I know of.

I suspect that A&M aren't quite as good as A&S and will go before them - although I reeeeaaaaallllly hope not. Not just because they're nicer people but because A&S will be intolerably smug if they do.

Cracking series so far!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    A&M sealed their own downfall, with the raw duck - A&S maybe unliked, but they can cook, even getting Luke & Scott to make the best pud, they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

The Italians haven't got a chance tonight.
  • knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest of them were 'babes'ing last night :D
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

You've got me wondering now whether there are regional variations in the UK. Proper pickled onions are usually actually shallots, at least in my neck of the woods, but that's all I know of.

I suspect that A&M aren't quite as good as A&S and will go before them - although I reeeeaaaaallllly hope not. Not just because they're nicer people but because A&S will be intolerably smug if they do.

Cracking series so far!

For me, the small brown onions in the first picture are shallots, and in the image of 2 onions, they are both spring onions but more commonly the ones on the right are referred to as continental salad onions....

But, I've been brought up knowing shallots and scallions to be interchangeable with spring onion - have aussie family and a growing up had a house full of Australian Womens Weekly cook books!

I just tend to look at the pictures or the recipe and figure out what they actually mean.

I guess it is similar to the whole swede vs turnip here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up on last night's episode now, could A+S look more smug when the reviews on their dish were being given?! Grrr
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen what A+S are cooking with, they would be what I'd expect them to call shallots - they weren't as thin as "our" spring onions and much longer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or these (on the right).

Clear as mud, thanks :D
    alr837 wrote: »
    For me, the small brown onions in the first picture are shallots, and in the image of 2 onions, they are both spring onions but more commonly the ones on the right are referred to as continental salad onions....

But, I've been brought up knowing shallots and scallions to be interchangeable with spring onion - have aussie family and a growing up had a house full of Australian Womens Weekly cook books!

I just tend to look at the pictures or the recipe and figure out what they actually mean.

I guess it is similar to the whole swede vs turnip here!
    I agree with you entirely.

I can understand how some things get called by a name used somewhere else in the world (Cilantro is Spanish for Coriander for instance) but to use the name of something else just seems incredibly confusing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can Melina work with her hair flapping in her face like that? Pin it back, woman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. It's not looking great for either team at the moment.

I deliberately didn't watch the opening credits tonight now we know how they misdirect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can Melina work with her hair flapping in her face like that? Pin it back, woman.
    We must be twins. I'd just said to myself "Get a hair grip woman" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We must be twins. I'd just said to myself "Get a hair grip woman" :D

:D I think she heard us.

Nope, it's down again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I think she heard us.

Nope, it's down again.
    Cooking for judges in a competition like this, I wouldn't want to take the risk of a stray hair. Ali is as bad :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Babe, Darling, Nonna......aaarrrrrgggghhhhhh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cooking for judges in a competition like this, I wouldn't want to take the risk of a stray hair. Ali is as bad :o

I don't know, looking at it sticking out just now I think it's pretty well glued down.

You can really tell it's early in the series can't you? Neither team is coming up with the goods.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm Pasta with a garnish of Elnett, lovely.

Well that didn't go to plan for Ali and Samuel. Thank goodness they left the buns off or they'd have been slaughtered.

It's hard when you like couples but their cooking just isn't up to the standard needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't call this one - they've mostly laid off the misdirection this time, luckily. Neither of them did well but desserts often swing the vote, I suppose. Bit will it make up for such a horrendous main?

ETA: must stop posting too soon. Misdirection came straight after I posted so no surprise. I liked them but I'm glad A&M are staying to annoy A&S!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to finish watching slightly behind. Gosh, neither team wowed did they. I liked them too but there were just too many mistakes. The marks were harsh for both teams.

I didn't see any reaction from A & S after A & M were saved. I guess we have that treat tomorrow :-D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Angela & Melina....scraped through last night, Sam had a bad day - Ali's pud, couldn't save them....but she did look miserable, from the start to the finish. :(

That new judge....he looks a greasy mess.:o

And did Ali & Sams, 'gravy boat', look like something you'd find at the side of a hospital bed.;-)
  • Barney019Barney019 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Ohhh I'm sorry about Ali and Samuel, they were some of my favourites but they weren't at their best tonight. Love how she calls him darling all the time and he sooo fancies her. I know they're ' just friends' but I do hope they realise they should be together now. We can all see it 💕
    Ps thank you for my warm welcome!
    pps Could also be starting to warm to the mean girls - they are great cooks and they're quite funny