Options

Married men in gay bars

floogfloog Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
The other night I was in one of my local gay bars and, going by the rings on their fingers, I couldn't help but notice the number of married men who were also there. Seriously, I would estimate that about a third of the men in that bar were married - obviously on the look-out for sex given their slightly shifty demeanour and the fact that there with was no wife in sight.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Personally, I feel nothing but sympathy for them, sacrificing their own happiness for the sake of conforming and living up to everyone else's expectations. I have less sympathy for their wives - they would have to be stupid to not realise that their prospective husbands are gay prior to marriage (let's face it there are certain things that gay men won't do), and yet they put their own needs first rather than those of their partners.

And before anyone says it, I don't accept that their husbands are bisexual. Bisexual people do not need to be in a relationship with people of both sexes at all times - one or the other is enough!

Comments

• Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I think they should come clean to the wife.

I know someone who is married and was searching for gay stuff while he stayed at my home. I never said a word, its not my place.

On another note he is a miserable so and so.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Maybe they are married, but not to women...
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they were married to a person of the same sex who was there with them, or even not with them. Many people go out on occasion without their OH :D

ETA: I do find the middle part of your OP rather biased though, those poor men, lying to those women and being forced to marry them, the women are to blame :confused: Very odd indeed.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you realise this, but it happens to be 2015 and gay couples can get married.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea I've always been amazed at the amount of married guys I've met in gay bars too. I do think it's sad, and they do always just seem to be really unhappy people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were cheating either way.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm anyone can go in a gaybar you know, you don't have to be gay
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    It is a shame if people feel the need to hide their sexuality and involve someone else in the cover up.

In this example, could the men have been married to each other or just be having an innocent drink whilst their husbands rather than wives are at home?
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    floog wrote: »
    The other night I was in one of my local gay bars and, going by the rings on their fingers, I couldn't help but notice the number of married men who were also there. Seriously, I would estimate that about a third of the men in that bar were married - obviously on the look-out for sex given their slightly shifty demeanour and the fact that there with was no wife in sight.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Personally, I feel nothing but sympathy for them, sacrificing their own happiness for the sake of conforming and living up to everyone else's expectations. I have less sympathy for their wives - they would have to be stupid to not realise that their prospective husbands are gay prior to marriage (let's face it there are certain things that gay men won't do), and yet they put their own needs first rather than those of their partners.

And before anyone says it, I don't accept that their husbands are bisexual. Bisexual people do not need to be in a relationship with people of both sexes at all times - one or the other is enough!

I think that's a very unfair assessment on the wives, there a lot of men that suppress their sexuality very well to the point they've almost convinced themselves, how on earth would trusting wives know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Erm anyone can go in a gaybar you know, you don't have to be gay

Well the ones I've met always want to do some pretty gay things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the ones I've met always want to do some pretty gay things.

Its the done thing in London it seems, there are lots of girls in gay bars apparently who are not gay.

I have never been to one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Its the done thing in London it seems, there are lots of girls in gay bars apparently who are not gay.

I have never been to one.

Yes I know lots of straight people who love gay bars for the vibe and music etc, I'm not disputing that.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Wait so being married and going to a gay bar means what? You're a cheater? What about being married and going to a straight bar?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait so being married and going to a gay bar means what? You're a cheater? What about being married and going to a straight bar?
    Well, that's the ultimate sin :p, you should be sewn to your partner with surgical thread and never part from marriage till death :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Cheating with a man is worse than cheating with a woman, surely. Its a double lie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing the op is specifically on about married guys who are 'on the pull' in gay bars.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    A ring on their finger doesn't mean they are straight guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Cheating with a man is worse than cheating with a woman, surely. Its a double lie.

Cheating is cheating in my eyes be it with a man or woman
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing the op is specifically on about married guys who are 'on the pull' in gay bars.
    I guess he is, although he is assuming that all the guys in the bar are straight, married men cheating on their unsuspecting wives and it's all the wives' fault :D He doesn't know, though, that this is the case at all, although it could be for some. He didn't say that he went and surveyed all the men, so he doesn't really know from the sounds of it. Perhaps he will clarify ;)
  • Options
    edward_mckenzieedward_mckenzie Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    soundslike the op is fantasizing to me
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I know lots of straight people who love gay bars for the vibe and music etc, I'm not disputing that.

There are, I know a couple. They go as the bars are nicer and having been out with my OH and her friends to one a few times, I can see why people do.

People are very quick to jump to conclusions.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Cheating is cheating in my eyes be it with a man or woman

I don't think its that black and white. Cheatings bad, but the person they choose can matter just as much, whatever gender.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EvieJ wrote: »
    I don't think its that black and white. Cheatings bad, but the person they choose can matter just as much, whatever gender.

I disagree, I would be just as pissed if my partner cheated with a man or a woman
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I used to DJ in a gay bar and would often go to the club across the way (also a gay establishment) after work. Im not gay. I even had a short relationship with one of the (female) regulars off the back of it.
  • Options
    autumnautumn Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floog wrote: »

If a woman refuses to fellate her husband, does that make her a lesbian? From the second paragraph I assume you are gay, trapped in a lavender marriage and resentful towards the wife that you feel 'trapped you'. Easier than manning up and taking responsibility for your life, I suppose. The assumption you make about bisexuals is just a generalisation, like your assumption about women marrying gay men.