Satellite warranties

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Today we received a letter from a company called Satellite Direct uk Ltd where they said they were taking over the operating service agreement from SCSS (south coast satellite services ltd). They said we had to call them with our details for them to carry on with the contract within 28 days or they would refund any money due to us.
    In the past we had reperted SCSS to trading standards and also the Sussex police had called us about how SCSS were operating. We did try and get money back from SCSS but contact broke down after they asked us for our bank details.
    Our bank found it very strange as to why they would require our bank details and warned us to be very carefull with them.
    So my point is does anyone know off Satellite Direct Uk or are they the same company trading under another name.
    thanks
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of Threads about Satellite Direct - the words barge touch with not a pole spring to mind.

Search Forum for "Satellite Direct" or "Satellite Dircet" (The Thread starter spelled it wrong!)

Domestic and General are the only Sky Authorised Warranty provider.

Apart from which, the Annual Premiums for these Warranties exceeds Sky's Call-Out Charge or the cost of paying privately for a system repair or replacement Digibox etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am sick to death of receiving calls from these people. Since I had Sky installed last October I have had at least 10 calls from companies telling me my warraty had expired. Despite repeatedly telling them to remove my details from whatever list they are using they still keep calling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then refer the matter to TPS, Trading Standards, Watchdog etc: Anyone you can think of.
  • adam1968ukadam1968uk Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Thought you all should know. I live in litlehampton where satellite direct used to have a shop, and not far from where they are now. And in the local rag they have just won business of the year.

Comments???

Adam
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Just had a phone call offering me a repair plan. Now, I know something was dodgy when the caller stated I had had my box for a year now. It's only been 2 months and box should be covered by the year warranty. I'm thinking of extending my warranty come the end of the 12 but I'll ring Sky to do that not the other way round...so I thought okay, lets see where this is going.

They wanted to offer me a plan for 9.99 a month covering everything. Now the thing is, I know Sky isn't that expansive so I ask them if they were from Sky to be told yes...in that case I asked them if I could ring them back to confirm that...line goes quiet for a few seconds then the phone goes down...sooo, it looks as if some people are claiming to be things that they are not. Naughty, naughty...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Lakeuk wrote: »
    You shouldn't even need to take out a warrenty against a sky box, if you ever have a problem just call sky and cancel your sub due to a faulty box, sky will soon sort you out for free as they want to keep you as a subscriber to their service.

Which is exactly what I tell them when they call. I have had about 3 or 4 calls over the past few weeks. And considering the fact that my sky box is about 12 months old, the info they have seems to come from sky to my mind.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jogego wrote: »
    Which is exactly what I tell them when they call. I have had about 3 or 4 calls over the past few weeks. And considering the fact that my sky box is about 12 months old, the info they have seems to come from sky to my mind.

Who are the calls from?

If they are from anyone other than Domestic and General why the hell would Sky pass your details on to a competitor of their partners. Far more likely this is cold calling with a "lucky strike" or the details were sold to them by your installer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recently been getting letters and phone calls from a Liverpool based Company,offering the same thing,sky cover plans.

The letters were arriving at the rate of 3 a week,and the phone calls,at up to 6 a day.I have caller witheld blocking and the number that appears on the screen is a standard Liverpool number.

Several times I have answered the phone,only to listen to a dead line.Finally when I did answer and someone was at the end of the line to speak to me,the tactics used were very high pressure,and despite me continuing to say No and call there bluff on each statement they made,they would not give up,till I terminated the call.

These tactics would certainly scare or frighten an elderly or unsure person,and I will be reporting the Company concerned to trading standards locally.

They had all my details,name,date of birth,etc etc and were very much in your face sellers,even wanting to know who my insurance was with.I declinned to give this information of course.

Should I get any further problems with this Company,I will report my expeirences on here for others to be aware of too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Sky dont give out our details to anybody else eh.

So exactly who else knows I've got a Sky+ box other than Sky (and these warranty companies).

Given Sky's recent trashing of my rights to remain opted out of everything I'ld put a years wages on Sky being the original source for the contact Info these warranty companies.

Lies and Damn Lies.

Slim
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Slim wrote: »
    Sky dont give out our details to anybody else eh.

So exactly who else knows I've got a Sky+ box other than Sky (and these warranty companies).

Why do they need to know?, they mailshot and ring thousands of people who don't have, and never have had, Sky or any satellite.

We get two or three customers a month come in the shop and ask why they are getting the letters and calls for these dodgy companies.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks as though another company called Systemguard has emerged and is trying to sell these warranties. More details here :- http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/columnists/article.html?in_article_id=428923&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=5
    (second story).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/list_companies_winding.htm

Application for winding up was heard last week. So how come they are still trading? Both Satellite Direct & Satcover are covered by the winding up order.

I got conned with their pretending to be sky con. I had to claim about 3 months ago and they sent an engineer out.... in short I've had 14 replacement boxes, all more old and decrepit than the last. I was left without TV for most of the Xmas holiday.

I'm thinking of taking them to the small claims court... but seeing the winding up listing I'm asking myself is it worth it?
  • floggardfloggard Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    can anyone tell me if a company called Sky sat tv and one called fully covered are any good.
  • floggardfloggard Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    floggard wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if a company called Sky sat tv and one called fully covered are any good.

think that sky sat tv is now part of digisatservices

but can't find much more out abot the other one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on EARTH would anyone take out insurance/warranties on their Sky Digibox?????? :eek:

1) They cost peanuts on eBay
    2) If the box breaks, call Sky and tell them you wish to cancel, they'll soon sort you out with a replacement LOL. ;)
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy D wrote: »
    Why on EARTH would anyone take out insurance/warranties on their Sky Digibox?????? :eek:

1) They cost peanuts on eBay
    2) If the box breaks, call Sky and tell them you wish to cancel, they'll soon sort you out with a replacement LOL. ;)

Not everyone is willing to do that though.

The second hand box could easily go wrong within a short period of time and the warranty also covers the whole installation - not many people would want to buy a new LNB and then fit it!

Throw in multiple boxes - we had two identical boxes, they died two weeks apart.

While that was just inside the first 12 months, we decided not to risk it again.
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Envelope marked "Important Information about your Sky Warranty"

Directly address to me...... arrived this morning.

This is the second mail shot in as many weeks. They must be getting desperate.

Apparently my sky boxes, bought on ebay are about to loose their warranty. :-)

This firm are in Liverpool, RRHK-EUUZ-EKHC

Stuck the blank form back into the freepost envelope. Will give them something to do opening the mail anyway.

Jeff.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as far as i am concerned and believe A subscriber with sky is first obligated to the sky equipment for 12 months and any breakages or loss of equipment (sky dish and reciever etc but not the card )is your own responsibility. even if yu only had it installed a few weeks ago, now according to the law yu can cancel your contract at any time for the first X amount of days (think its 28 days cooling off period from the time you signed with sky not from the time the equipment was installed (now sky does not want you to know your rights, thats why they put the agreement terms and conditions in writing yu cannot read or understand) as the equipment s yours as soon as its installed. Now you as a subscriber have the right to either not insure the equipment or insure or buy a warranty to who ever yu want. (sky does a warranty scheme). My advice to anyone who has signed up with sky must understand they are obligated with sky/virgin or who ev er yu have a cable/internet/tv agreement with. Now after the said 12 months or 18 months is up, yu can now try to get a better deal. One of the ways is to tell sky yu want to leave them because yu not happy or have been offered a better deal from another company and try to extract a better deal with them.(what have yu got to lose) From next month would be a good time as FREESAT and FREESAT HD starts on the 18th week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a warning to everyone,that the lot from Liverpool are back hounding folk again.

I have already had a few mailshsots and calls too,all of which I have ignored or disposed of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    can anyone tell me if satellite assured are part of satellite direct as i am currently insured with them, and should i renew with them or can someone give me a reputable company because there are so many and i get confused with different phone calls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/list_companies_winding.htm

Application for winding up was heard last week. So how come they are still trading? Both Satellite Direct & Satcover are covered by the winding up order.

I got conned with their pretending to be sky con. I had to claim about 3 months ago and they sent an engineer out.... in short I've had 14 replacement boxes, all more old and decrepit than the last. I was left without TV for most of the Xmas holiday.

I'm thinking of taking them to the small claims court... but seeing the winding up listing I'm asking myself is it worth it?

Hi I cannot find either of them on the lis(Satellite Direct & Satcover ).
    Any idea what time slot they are in or are they listed under different names please?
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Just fired up the web site and it looks like they are still in business:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anithly wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if satellite assured are part of satellite direct as i am currently insured with them, and should i renew with them or can someone give me a reputable company because there are so many and i get confused with different phone calls.

If you must have a Warranty (and there is really little point, as a year's Premiums are much the same as a Sky Service Call Fee), then Sky themselves recommend Domestic & General.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    and why are ' The Listening Company ' phoning me on behalf of Sky.

I am registered with Sky NOT to recieve calls

come on sky team answer please
This discussion has been closed.