Options

Who do you think/want to be in the 50th Anniversary Episode(s)?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Heroes and Villains alike?:)

I hope the story revolves around the Doctor fighting the Daleks again - I know it's predictable but they are the Doctor's biggest enemy and it would be a great 'celebration'. However, I think Asylum of the Daleks has ruined this idea slightly as I'd envisioned the Daleks launching a full scale war against the Doctor which they can't do if they don't remember him!:p

But I get the feeling that maybe Moffat will use his idea of creating a Who universve, like in The Pandorica Opens and A Good Man Goes To War where we see a lot of different characters/villains but they are sort of cameos rather than playing a pivotal role in the plot.

In terms of the Doctor's companions, I'd love to see the Doctor, Jenna (Clara/Oswin/Whoever) and River face the enemy. Obviously the Doctor and his current companion are a given, but as much as I love River I don't know if she'd be seen as 'special' or 'important' enough to appear in the milestone episode.

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No cameos please - if someone is going to turn up then they should have a proper role with words and acting.

I'd like to see them do it old style - half hour, several episodes, lots of cliff-hangers but put it on over one week.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not gonna lie, I expect a regeneration and/or multiple Doctors. No pressure, Moffat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this whole "Doctor WHO?" thing is going to be answered by referring back to his past - the last 50 years.

So I expect clips within episodes. And references back. Maybe visiting old planets he had visited before.

Obviously I want every actor who has ever been in it to appear!!!
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I do NOT want a regeneration cos I LOVE 11, I've been thinking about how they could plausibly bring back all old Doctors without it getting a tad silly as in other anniversarry specials and I've come up with a fairly good idea. First of all I'd like a multi-parter over around 3 weeks, then it would be cool if we had the biuld up to, then the departure of 11 in the first week. After this we'd have a typical regeneration episode with 12 suffering the side effects and, as with various other Doctors, breifly forgetting who he is. In order to find the TARDIS takes him back in his personal timestream so he can meet his past incarnations and, after these meetings, be able to remember all the events that happened in that particular life, thus remembering who he is and finding out the answer to the question "Doctor Who?" It would be cool if he could meet the Doctor's in past adventures, just have him in the background affecting stuff, like in the Star Trek DS9/TOS Tribbles crossover episode. Like, he could help 5 through caves of Androzani, or try and help 4 stop the Daleks from ever existing and preventing the time war in genesis if the Daleks.

As we usually have 13 episodes and, if it were to return to the classic series format in which there were double the amount of episodes, I think it would be best if each Doctor got at least 1 episode, however it might become monotonous if he just kept revisiting old Doctors/stories/monsters. There'd have to be other stuff going on in which 12 can get stuck in i.e. another story going on at the time which the past Doctors had been completely unaware of. It would also be good if they had new stuff in which past Doctors are involved but we've not seen before e.g. you could get around the issue of casting two of the dead Doctor's by having a young 1, maybe he's at the acadamy, just like another stuck up Time Lord, and needs 12 to show him who he'll become. And we could meet a season 6b 2nd Doctor which would explain certain continuity errors and give us the interesting phenomenon of a halfway regenerated Doctor i.e. between 2 and 3. Also, with 8 who HAS to come back, we have to have the end of the time war with the war being timelocked, the destruction of Gallifrey and the regeneration from 8-9. There are still pressing questions involving the time war i.e. did it change history and what happened in the classic series (which would provide some wonderful story oppurtunities with classic Doctors being able to return proper), is all of Gallifrey's history erased/timelocked (whatever time the Doctor visits there is no Gallifrey, it only seems to exist for classic series Doctors, like it's in another timeline), and if so, how can the Doctor exist? Cos he's the one who did it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    While I do NOT want a regeneration cos I LOVE 11, I've been thinking about how they could plausibly bring back all old Doctors without it getting a tad silly as in other anniversarry specials and I've come up with a fairly good idea.
    Like, he could help 5 through caves of Androzani, or try and help 4 stop the Daleks from ever existing and preventing the time war in genesis if the Daleks.

I'd touch on something very similar to this.

Something like, The Meddling Monk has caused a 'Time Fracture' across 5 points in the Doctor's own Time Line. Going against everything that has ever been stated before, for the sake of the known Universes, The Doctor has NO other choice but to go back on his own timeline and recorrect his history. Thus, we get revisits to major, classic points in Who history. But with 11th.

Those familiar with Classic would love it, those familiar with Nu would still enjoy seeing 11th visiting (new to them) stories.

Kind of a 'Quantum Leap' meets 'Doctor Who' maybe.

The companion could make a devastating error, which in turn, forces an old incarnation of The Doctor to regenerate early. Thus, setting the whole of The Doctor's future timeline in jeopardy. 11th begins to exist / not exist and maybe flitters between 10th and 11th during a couple of episodes. (if done as a serial like classic)

Thoughts?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Returning characters are fine, but I'm surprised at the number of people who just blindly wish for as many characters as possible without considering the impact on screentime or narrative. The more characters there are, the less screentime for each character they get (and that's assuming it's equally distributed).

We have Stolen Earth/Journey's End as a precedent for this. While on the whole I think RTD got it right, there were lengthy scenes where characters are left standing around listening to Davros' monologues or for other narrative strands to progress.

Also, I think we need to give up on the the idea of the 1st and 2nd doctors being recast. Yes, Richard Hurndall didn't do a bad job, but I still don't still don't see the appeal - particularly with the irreplaceable Troughton. It terms of representing their respective eras we need to look for alternatives on this front.

No to the Time War. RTD said no. Moffat said no. My goldfish says no, and the list goes on. It isn't going to happen. At the very most, we can hope for a peripheral event (As the End Of Time was described).

My idea for the 50th would be to take a leaf out of comicbook crossovers. I would have the story line be centered on a massive event so huge that it goes across all platforms. What I mean by that is that the anniversary episode serves as the epicenter of the event, which then ripples out to the other media - so all the Novels, Big Finish releases, comic strips all carry the Anniversary Title as banner title. By doing this all doctors and companions can be included without necessarily having to squeeze into the TV episode.

And talking of squeezing, can you imagine future anniversaries? the 60th the 100th? Year by year the number of characters mount up and up; there has to be a point where characters just have to be left out to save time!
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Chesterton.

Ian Chersterton.

Carole Ann Ford.

Ian Chesterton.

And Totters Lane.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master
    Eccleston
    No Tennant.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Master
    Eccleston
    No Tennant.

Tennant's doctor (and Rose) are easily the most likely characters to turn up. Well apart from Amy & Rory if we're counting them as past characters at that point.

I would love William Russell to be in it.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing how much focus Moffat puts on the companions, and how much they define who The Doctor is. What better way to answer the question circling the Universe, 'Doctor Who?' than having those that know him best gathered together.

I would like to see The Doctor try to meet up with his former companions (in a meaningful way - so providing there is plenty of time allotted). Including returning to the junkyard to reunite with Carole Ann Ford and William Russell (<- although, they would have to deal with the SJA reports that Ian hasn't aged).

It would also be an opportunity for The Doctor to say farewell to Sarah Jane should they choose to do so, as The Wedding of River Song did for the Brigadier.

I'm not saying lets have every surviving companion on screen at the same time. But it would be a better way to answer "The Question" than some straight up answer such as his name.

Just my thoughts.
    Returning characters are fine, but I'm surprised at the number of people who just blindly wish for as many characters as possible without considering the impact on screentime or narrative. The more characters there are, the less screentime for each character they get.
  • Options
    MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Numerous specials where 11 and Clara/Oswin meet different companions from different eras e.g. Ian and Susan (1), Jamie (2), Jo (3), Leela (4), Nyssa (5), Peri (6), Ace (7), Martha (10), Mickey (9) and Jack (Spin Off), then in the last episode of the 50th all of these characters are brought together to help 11 and Clara. I don't think we need multiple Doctors, instead companions to represent these Doctors. Maybe some sort of prophecy that involves these heroes of time, and who ever the villian is try to stop this by scattering these character throughout different points in time and space, the Doctor then manages to team up with one or two or sometimes three of the companions in each special, then the Doctor drops them back off in present day then for the final special, these characters come together to for fill the prophecy and save the universe. Something like Series 4 finale, but done better, if having numerous specials, it then gives them equal screentime for the 50th and gives them significant roles.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    Heroes and Villains alike?:)

I hope the story revolves around the Doctor fighting the Daleks again - I know it's predictable but they are the Doctor's biggest enemy and it would be a great 'celebration'. However, I think Asylum of the Daleks has ruined this idea slightly as I'd envisioned the Daleks launching a full scale war against the Doctor which they can't do if they don't remember him!:p

But I get the feeling that maybe Moffat will use his idea of creating a Who universve, like in The Pandorica Opens and A Good Man Goes To War where we see a lot of different characters/villains but they are sort of cameos rather than playing a pivotal role in the plot.

In terms of the Doctor's companions, I'd love to see the Doctor, Jenna (Clara/Oswin/Whoever) and River face the enemy. Obviously the Doctor and his current companion are a given, but as much as I love River I don't know if she'd be seen as 'special' or 'important' enough to appear in the milestone episode.

I want Tom Baker back as the Fourth Doctor in a proper starring role!
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of showing it over five nights during the week and Matt's Doctor not being introduced until the fourth or fifth, culminating in a blockbuster finale on the Saturday where all the strands/Doctors from over the week come together to defeat their one true enemy: Sally Sparrow (who we all know is the Rani) :D

I was doing so well up until the BIB.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what would be cool, seeing Donna! Not that big on Rose or Martha, they're boring! Obviously Donna wouldn't recognise the Doctor - certainly not 11, but we could just see what she's been up to. Or if it gets timey wimey, she could just be travelling with 10. Either way, it would be fun to see Catherine's chemistry with Matt or lack thereof. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Whatever they decide on doing I hope they recognise this is the 50th anniversary of Dr Who, I personally don't want just nu who characters and Dr's turning up. People seem to want just 9th, 10th, and 11th doctors to team up, I know a lot of the earlier guys look different and a lot older but McCoy and McGann could be included. Companions could be more difficult, I agree with most posters though that if someone has to reappear it has to be Ian and Susan to take it back to it's roots.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever they decide on doing I hope they recognise this is the 50th anniversary of Dr Who, I personally don't want just nu who characters and Dr's turning up. People seem to want just 9th, 10th, and 11th doctors to team up, I know a lot of the earlier guys look different and a lot older but McCoy and McGann could be included. Companions could be more difficult, I agree with most posters though that if someone has to reappear it has to be Ian and Susan to take it back to it's roots.

Surely if anything companions are easier as presumably most of them are still alive and it can easily be explained why they've aged (like SJS or Katy Manning in SJA)
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to actually "get in" all of Dr Who's 50 years into a 45 minute episode. Ideally I'd like something tacky, along the same lines as The Eight Doctors novel by Terrance Dicks. Basically the Doctor gets his memories erased, and has to visit each of his regenerations in turn in order to get back his missing memories. This would then leave ample room to cover old friends and enemies but the only issue would be time. The 11th Doctor would have to visit 10 previous selves which gives him roughly 4 minutes with each. Might be OK for a 2-3 parter though.

To be honest I'd just be happy with a show which harks back to the classic stories and includes an appearance by Captain Jack.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^^^^ This...

:)
  • Options
    dave1976dave1976 Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    The TARDIS crash lands into a field on a private old peoples home during a bowls match, the 11th Doctor staggers out of the TARDIS, injured with lights emanating from him, he collapses to the floor clutching his chest, suddenly his voice changes to his previous incarnations as he begs for help. Four mature bowls players dash over to help whilst in shock at what they have just witnessed, three male nurses also run towards the Doctor to help, at that point a burst of energy, one by one from the Doctors chest hit the four mature men and three male nurses. The men fall to the floor, their faces starting to glow, contort and finally morph into the previous incarnation of the Doctor, the three male nurses turn into 8th, 9th and 10th Doctor, whilst the four mature men turn into the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Doctor. Each Doctor adopting the body, weight and age of their inhabited host, but only their faces changing.

You can make the rest up......

It just proves that there are ways to bring back the old Doctors, anyting is possible.
  • Options
    Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    A decent original story thats not stolen or inspired by a book or computer game
  • Options
    ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    When you think about NuWho, all of the companions, pre-11, got at least one return in the various bigger season finales. So I'm not overly keen on that being retreaded, no S1-4 NuWho companions please. Classic companions, where there is merit, then yes definitely. I'd like a few to come back and show that feisty companions with the ability to a) blow things up, or b) run, didn't start with Rose.

Equally, something that Classic Who has had (maybe too often), but NuWho has never had, is a multi-doctor story (I really don't count Children In Need). I'd love to see this, 8 (he's Nu enough for me!) 9, 10 and 11. It can be proper 10, not parallel universe DoctorDonna human 10. Because, well, it's sci-fi, so it can happen.

So then I'd like to whisk these two thoughts together, and have a NuWho multi-doctor story with classic companions. In a properly perilous situation, 10 and 11 remembering just how awful past events had been in their life, 8 and 9 screaming "you don't know man, you weren't there! Well, not like I was there!"

Oh, and Lucie Miller. Obviously Lucie Miller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A decent original story thats not stolen or inspired by a book or computer game

It doesn't have to be original methinks. If Christopher Eccleston came out and said: "These are my replacements? A dandy and a clown" it would probably be the greatest thing ever. :D
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Tennant's doctor (and Rose) are easily the most likely characters to turn up. Well apart from Amy & Rory if we're counting them as past characters at that point.

I would love William Russell to be in it.

Yeah that was a want list, not a think list
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that was a want list, not a think list

I think it'd be a major shock if Tennant wasn't in it to be honest; I think most people would consider it a disappointment if he wasn't and the beeb know that. I'd guess he'll be in it and likely a major part, not a cameo.