Sherlock - New BBC Drama (Part 2)

Comments

• EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It started off like that, but now hot bridesmaids flirt with him and mothers thank him for helping their children and everyone wants to impress him. It's like two different characters.

People have always flirted with him - Molly right from the beginning in her bumbling way and Irene Adler. And the bridesmaid said that she'd have him if he wasn't how he was - she was saying that she couldn't cope with his personality and his Sherlockness. Hell, present me with him dressed like that and I'd be all over him - until I got to know him. Which is what seemed to happen with her and she used him to find herself a bloke.

And that mother thought he'd done something nice for her son. If she knew what he'd really shown her son she certainly wouldn't be thanking him.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How good was it to see 'The Woman' again tonight!

Sherlock: "Not now! I'm busy!" :D:D:D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it at all possible that everything we have seen so far is not real? That it is all in John's head (after all he was seeing a therapist as he was finding it hard to cope after Sherlock's death) Every character seems to have changed in some way. Molly has moved on. Sherlock is more personable, John has moved on, even Mycroft seems friendlier. May explain references to ghosts and relationships with them. Most likely rubbish though!!

I think that would count as 'Stepping out the shower'.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    It'll be interesting if Dr Who is involved in any mystery scenario, there'll be a vein-popping extravaganza on here about how Moffat has created a Sherlock in a blue box!

Sherlock in a blue box!
    The Doctor in a deerstalker hat!

Waaaaaah! Boooooo! <soils self in fury> Baaaaa! Grrrr!

Matt Smith wore a deerstalker and pretended to be a great detective (badly!) in a Who episode...very funny it was too. And Tom Baker donned one way back when too!

Thought that was fun and rather sweet, but agree the 'mystery' wasn't up to much. Then again, not a hardcore fan...just find it enjoyable generally and like the Cumberbatch/Freeman interaction. And Una Stubbs is great!
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be nice. I think we've got that you know what's going to happen, as you have said so many times.

Please put any further remarks about next week in spoiler tags so we don't have to read them if we don't want to.
    Apologies for that. But I'm not posting spoilers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Also would explain why John is now finding out more from Mrs Hudson than he ever did when Sherlock was alive.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion on Sherlock S3 - well if you're gonna make three episodes every two years they all better be great and to me both so far especially e2 have been distinctly average (thanks Simon!).
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Sherlock is we are basically only getting occasional specials. If you're only making three episodes every two years, you can't really use one as a self indulgent joke, it's a bit of a waste really.

That episode would have been fine if it was part of a 6/8 part series.

Agree...the balance in this set of 3 is way off kilter for me.

And I find it odd that, without this bromance stuff in the original stories, the affection between these two characters shine through.

It's almost as if there are writers out there who can tell a story that's entertaining but have a sub text that goes deeper than the story being told.

Whereas for the hard of thinking we now appear to have to have the sub text smacked in our faces like a rancid halibut.
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. I just meant that if I point you to a specific article, it rather gives the game away. As I said before, apologies for being obtuse!

If it's out there, in the public domain, then surely it can't be that much of a giveaway. Why can't you just tell us where to find it and then let us make an adult decision as to whether or not we want to read it?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies for that. But I'm not posting spoilers.

Sorry - I deleted my post; not quickly enough, obviously.
  • sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it at all possible that everything we have seen so far is not real? That it is all in John's head (after all he was seeing a therapist as he was finding it hard to cope after Sherlock's death) Every character seems to have changed in some way. Molly has moved on. Sherlock is more personable, John has moved on, even Mycroft seems friendlier. May explain references to ghosts and relationships with them. Most likely rubbish though!!

Given that Series 4 is confirmed I would say unlikely. You cant continue a show for 4 years as someone's imagination. Or can you?

I am astounded by the negative reaction to this episode. I was unsure on ep 1 until I re-watched it but this was fantastic. I have been a fan from the start and this has instantly become my no.2 favourite episode. Sherlock was more like his normal self here than episode 1. I like Mary, it works well. By all accounts and the trailer ep 3 will be the best one yet. Roll on next Sunday.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I love Sherlock, ultimate comfort TV, but tonight, my insides were squirming around like the man himself practicing the waltz.

I was forcing myself to be interested, all the while, my autonomic nervous system was trying to haul my consciousness away because, unlike Sherlock Holmes, it had seen the ending coming a mile off, kitted out like a one-man-band waving a giant Union Jack and was trying to protect me from the magnitude of the disappointment.

Sherlock Holmes? Reduced to a Frankenstein's monster of inept sociophobia. The man who raced around defeating Nazis, who caught master criminals with the merest twitch of his equine nose, can not handle a saucy bridesmaid and has verbal diarrhea to the extent of which Julian Assange would be ashamed.

Sherlock Holmes can't control his mouth. He can't control his emotions. He could give Mr. Spock a run for his money. He would make the Vulcan feel exposed as being the humanitarian and go and hang his head in shame - even if he had to experience that feeling for the first time.

Sherlock Holmes is a figure of ridicule to be laughed at in this dumbed down, over-protected, lowest-common-denominator world where it is more acceptable to parade your ignorance than to show your cleverness. Being clever sucks big time children, bring yourself down to our level immediately.

He is admonished by Dr. Watson for showing off - 'that thing we talked about'.

His sexuality is a constant centre of speculation, as if it is more important than anything else that happens on the screen. The crime is so insignificant that it could not possibly have happened.

Sherlock is happily manipulated by Mary and does not even notice. A wise nod by the writers to the feminist brigade who will lap this sort of stuff up like contented felines. Ruination for them if they show a strong man holding his own around a strong woman. fnar fnar.

Luckily, as Sherlock himself could tell you, the squirming of my insides is imperceptible to me and so I did sit through the whole thing.

Aah, look at poor stupid, lonely, Sherlock leaving early. Don't we feel sorry for him as, after all these years he seems to have joined the rest of us stupid dimwits down at the surface of the planet. Knocked off his cerebrating by a bit of animalistic celebrating.

Haha, funny old Sherlock announcing Mary's pregnancy like a geriatric gynecologist on open mike night at the comedy club.

Don't we all love him now?

No

>:(

Nice, and vastly more entertaining and well-written than the episode itself.

:cool:
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what bits were delusional? Actual proof and explanation please.

Delusional that only five people on DS dislike Moffat's work. Delusional that DW narrative from 2010 stands up to any basic scrutiny of its sense and logic. Delusional that "professional" TV reviewers are more clued up than the general audience. Delusional that DW was the top rated show of last year. Delusional that high ratings equals a quality programme (you must think "Mrs Brown's Boys" is the best thing on TV).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Sherlock, ultimate comfort TV, but tonight, my insides were squirming around like the man himself practicing the waltz.

I was forcing myself to be interested, all the while, my autonomic nervous system was trying to haul my consciousness away because, unlike Sherlock Holmes, it had seen the ending coming a mile off, kitted out like a one-man-band waving a giant Union Jack and was trying to protect me from the magnitude of the disappointment.

Sherlock Holmes? Reduced to a Frankenstein's monster of inept sociophobia. The man who raced around defeating Nazis, who caught master criminals with the merest twitch of his equine nose, can not handle a saucy bridesmaid and has verbal diarrhea to the extent of which Julian Assange would be ashamed.

Sherlock Holmes can't control his mouth. He can't control his emotions. He could give Mr. Spock a run for his money. He would make the Vulcan feel exposed as being the humanitarian and go and hang his head in shame - even if he had to experience that feeling for the first time.

Sherlock Holmes is a figure of ridicule to be laughed at in this dumbed down, over-protected, lowest-common-denominator world where it is more acceptable to parade your ignorance than to show your cleverness. Being clever sucks big time children, bring yourself down to our level immediately.

He is admonished by Dr. Watson for showing off - 'that thing we talked about'.

His sexuality is a constant centre of speculation, as if it is more important than anything else that happens on the screen. The crime is so insignificant that it could not possibly have happened.

Sherlock is happily manipulated by Mary and does not even notice. A wise nod by the writers to the feminist brigade who will lap this sort of stuff up like contented felines. Ruination for them if they show a strong man holding his own around a strong woman. fnar fnar.

Luckily, as Sherlock himself could tell you, the squirming of my insides is imperceptible to me and so I did sit through the whole thing.

Aah, look at poor stupid, lonely, Sherlock leaving early. Don't we feel sorry for him as, after all these years he seems to have joined the rest of us stupid dimwits down at the surface of the planet. Knocked off his cerebrating by a bit of animalistic celebrating.

Haha, funny old Sherlock announcing Mary's pregnancy like a geriatric gynecologist on open mike night at the comedy club.

Don't we all love him now?

No

>:(

One man to blame. Get rid of the Moff, you improve the schedules immediately.
  • hetty_rosehetty_rose Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Please don't blame slouchingthethatch, it was my fault, I was subjecting him to the verbal equivalent of some kind of fiendish interrogation, which he endured like a true professional.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why have the "wait until next week" thing? It's not a soap.

Moff has strangled Doctor Who half-to-death with his obsession over story arcs and oh-so-clever narrative twisting. It's barely acceptable with tea time sci-fi. It's unforgivable with a detective drama.

Hopefully the growing negativity towards Moff here and elsewhere will be noticed by the BBC, who should get rid of him PDQ.

Ditch a popular show because a few people are vocal about disliking it?
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with that. Do we have to have every single tiny cheesy aspect of their bromance spelt out so clearly. It takes you out of the programme and it's like being dictated by the writer how each character feels, what the facets of their relationship/interaction are.

Isn't a rule of TV that you show and don't tell? Instead of their partnership simply existing, shining through and flourishing within a story. They're sat about whilst we're being told every tiny little thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I don't mean that he's actually dead, I mean that maybe everything we've seen so far hasn't been reality and the actual return and reveal will air next week and the Sherlock we all knew will return........yes, it's a rubbish theory!!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it isn't the truth is it? Many people have criticised the show, to say that it has not been criticised is an untruth. A few hacks writing for newspapers is not a cross section of the viewing audience.
  • abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mean that he's actually dead, I mean that maybe everything we've seen so far hasn't been reality and the actual return and reveal will air next week and the Sherlock we all knew will return........yes, it's a rubbish theory!!

we can live in hope, toastynoggin, we can live in hope...
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I deleted my post; not quickly enough, obviously.
    No worries. I'm very sensitive about giving spoilers away - I like to join in the debate but the last thing I would want to do is spoil anyone's enjpyment of it. And sincere apologies for going on about having seen the episodes - I hadn't realised how often I was saying it, and you're right to point it out.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last week but this week was an absolute chore to watch :( Hope next week is an improvement.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delusional that only five people on DS dislike Moffat's work. Delusional that DW narrative from 2010 stands up to any basic scrutiny of its sense and logic. Delusional that "professional" TV reviewers are more clued up than the general audience. Delusional that DW was the top rated show of last year. Delusional that high ratings equals a quality programme (you must think "Mrs Brown's Boys" is the best thing on TV).

Not at all. I don't care about viewing figures. If I had my choice I would make Doctor Who alot more cult and less populist than it is. If I thought it would last. But I know it wouldn't. My point was that the Moffat haters are grasping at straws. The BBC do care about viewing figures, DVD sales, international popularity and critical acclaim. And whether you like it or not both Moffats shows get all those things. They don't care about forums like DS where even on the DW threads there are a core number of posters who don't even make triple figures. Just because those that hate Moffat are noisy and even start Twitter accounts dedicated to slating him the people in charge don't care.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Bainbridge manage to take all his clothes off, enter a shower, put shampoo in his hair and then .. collapse on the floor? Wouldn't removing the belt have released the skewer thing and caused major pain/collapsing?
This discussion has been closed.