Options

Which OS is best to get?

Comments

• Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a practical reason to update? Because I would wait till this one goes to its maker and get a new one then. With the current OS and compatible hardware. It's possible that what you have will be suboptimal to use with W8.1. I have upgraded a Vista machine to W7 and had to use a Vista graphic driver, because the card was too old for anything newer.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded that assistant that checks to see if your hardware is compatible with Windows 7 or 8 and it said it was.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's a Start button in 8.1. It doesn't bring up a menu on the desktop though.

Oh I know - it looks like it's back, but only on the surface. It's not really the Start button. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    If the classic shell makes it more like 7 then wouldn't be better just to buy 7?
    No, because Win8.1 is more streamlined, it has a longer support life, and has even better driver support.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Oh I know - it looks like it's back, but only on the surface. It's not really the Start button. ;)

It's probably Microsoft's spiteful attempt at sticking two fingers up at their customers.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If the classic shell makes it more like 7 then wouldn't be better just to buy 7?

Yes but W7 can be hard to buy. You won't get it on the high street as they want to flog Windows 8. Best bet is to try an independent computer store or online. I bought W7 for my Mac last year from my local Apple reseller!!! (I know it's blasphemy, but they sell it for Windows on Mac purposes). I hope the men in black turtlenecks don't come around to my house because I bought W7 from a Mac shop :o

I've seen the Start button on dad's Surface tablet and all it does is take you back to tht hideous cartoonish Start screen :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the Start button on dad's Surface tablet and all it does is take you back to tht hideous cartoonish Start screen :p
    We've got to wait for Windows 9 (which could be a free or low-cost upgrade for Win8.1 users) for the Start Button proper to return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably Microsoft's spiteful attempt at sticking two fingers up at their customers.

The new start menu has to be tested properly, it's different from the old W7 menu, they want to have both applications and apps there. It's better not to rush things. So they at least put the button there so that mouse users have something to click on to get to the start screen.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just done a Win XP to Win 8.1 upgrade for someone. They have had to change their printer (HP), Scanner (Epson) and webcam (Logitect) as none of their devices are supported in Win 8.
  • Options
    colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ideally win7 is a really good os, imo but as said difficult to buy on a new machine. next best would be to go for win8 and when win9 comes out next year, accept an upgrade which is reported to be offered at a low cost for win 8 users. some reports suggest it may be offered for free. but only if your using win8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    The new start menu has to be tested properly, it's different from the old W7 menu, they want to have both applications and apps there. It's better not to rush things. So they at least put the button there so that mouse users have something to click on to get to the start screen.

Are you talking about Windows 9's new Start menu?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about Windows 9's new Start menu?

Yes, there were rumours that it would be coming in one of W8.1 updates, but they pulled the plug on that. There was enough damage done already, no reason to add to it by possibly more problems in an already sensitive area. Just look at an iOS8.0.1 disaaster.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just get Win7, you get absolutely no issues from it what so ever.

XP and Win7 - best Windows OS's of their times, especially for gaming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Just get Win7, you get absolutely no issues from it what so ever.

XP and Win7 - best Windows OS's of their times, especially for gaming.

Bit like Roy Batty now, "...built in failsafe device. Five year lifespan." (artistic license)

Mainstream support ends January 13, 2015. "Time to die."

Withdrawn from retail channels. "You've done a man's job,sir! Looks like you're through." "Finished."

Buying a new OS today? Buy the latest or wait for Windows 9 (NT6.4).

Win 7 will leave you locked out of the Modern UI forever, might not be relevant now, but it doesn't hurt to have the option. DirectX 12 will be a backport to Win 7, and we have seen that MS don't view Win 7 as a mainstream product, they will have as little care afforded to it as they have XP and Vista.

Can't see Win 7 being offered a lifeline to Win 9 but the jury is out about a Win 8 leg-up.

Win 7 is a dead, dead end from a buying point of view right now.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Win 7 is a dead, dead end from a buying point of view right now.

QFT. The amount of bollocks I see written by people blinded by irrational hate for a product that is in fact, while not perfect, far better than is made out is not very helpful in the slightest.

Windows 7 - no issues at all? I'm guessing "The_One" doesn't work in IT support? There isn't a single OS on the planet that doesn't have issues, and Windows 7 is far from being anywhere near close an exception.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    At the moment I have vista 32bit. Is it worth upgrading and which is the best one to get, 7 or 8.1. It would be 64bit version I'd get.

Having read through posts I'd be inclined to agree with others who have said to wait for Win 9. You may be able to get it at a reduced price early when its released or you may think it worthwhile waiting until the problems have been ironed out and pay more. It will have been in operation over a year before support for Vista stops.

Vista is not my favourite OS but something like Ccleaner for clearing out junk and disabling startup programs that you don't need when you boot can make a noticeable difference to how quickly your machine behaves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Yes, there were rumours that it would be coming in one of W8.1 updates, but they pulled the plug on that. There was enough damage done already, no reason to add to it by possibly more problems in an already sensitive area. Just look at an iOS8.0.1 disaaster.

I was talking about putting a Windows 7 Start menu in Windows 8/8.1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QFT. The amount of bollocks I see written by people blinded by irrational hate for a product that is in fact, while not perfect, far better than is made out is not very helpful in the slightest.

Windows 7 - no issues at all? I'm guessing "The_One" doesn't work in IT support? There isn't a single OS on the planet that doesn't have issues, and Windows 7 is far from being anywhere near close an exception.
    Not in IT at all. I'm talking from my own experience with my own PC's and a few other PC's I've built for other people.

From my experience and reading forums since Win98, Win7 has been by far the best Win OS.
    You pretty much never hear of issues of Win7, it was an immaculate upgrade from Vista and proved to be a solid OS throughout (compared to other Win OS's).
    Win8 has been very noticeable with complaints, similar to Vista.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Not in IT at all. I'm talking from my own experience with my own PC's and a few other PC's I've built for other people.

From my experience and reading forums since Win98, Win7 has been by far the best Win OS.
    You pretty much never hear of issues of Win7, it was an immaculate upgrade from Vista and proved to be a solid OS throughout (compared to other Win OS's).
    Win8 has been very noticeable with complaints, similar to Vista.

I don't think that is a fact at all.....Yes, the UI has been complained about, incessantly, by haters, but, the actual underlying OS is better than W7.
    All those forums and you see few complaints about W7? Different forums to the ones I've been on obviously.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with cal100, if you seriously think that Windows 7 is completely free of issues, then I won't be the one to piss on your chips, except to say, you are very, very wrong!!

And Win8.1 is a better underlying OS than 7 hands down (not perfect, but what is?). Most of the complaints come from people who wont even take an hour to learn their way around the interface (which TBH is about 50 minutes more than I needed).

If you're really into Win7 then still get Win8 and put Classic Shell or Start8 on it, and enjoy the improvements without the compromises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're really into Win7 then still get Win8 and put Classic Shell or Start8 on it, and enjoy the improvements without the compromises.
    What improvements?

I've never had a need to check out Win8 as everything works great. I've noticed a LOT of bad messages about it since its release so obviously stay away from it. Plus I've never liked the look of its UI, even the Win7 UI... I've got my Win7 theme to look a mix of WinXP/classic.

People used to say bad things about Vista while some people said it was ok, so figured I'd try it out just in case. Know what? wish I hadn't bothered, luckily Win7 was less than a few months from release. So Win8? No. Will wait for reviews of Win9.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, because Win8.1 is more streamlined, it has a longer support life, and has even better driver support.

Pity it can't do the AMD 4250HD driver correctly though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What improvements?

I've never had a need to check out Win8 as everything works great. I've noticed a LOT of bad messages about it since its release so obviously stay away from it. Plus I've never liked the look of its UI, even the Win7 UI... I've got my Win7 theme to look a mix of WinXP/classic.

Advantages of Windows 8.1 over Windows 7:-

1. Boot time - Windows 8.1 boots FAR faster than Windows 7.

2, Windows Enterprise features - 8.1 has more enterprise features including Windows to go (allows you to run your own version of W8 from bootable USB).

3. Performance - Windows 8 is faster and takes less resources to run. This is noticeable particularly on lesser hardware.

4. Security - Windows 8 is more modern and has more security features and will be patched for longer.

5. Superior task manager - Windows 8 offers a far more advanced task manager, showing you more detail and allowing you to tweak more without 3rd party tools.

6. USB3 support out of box - enough said - Windows 7 relys on 3rd party manufacturers to update their drivers etc.

7. Much improved file copying operations - more detail given, ability to pause and resume copying, more accurate estimations. Good for us techies, this one.

8. Native ISO support - although admittedly I've found this flakey, so we'll forget this one :D

9. 3D printing support - never had to do it, but its there.

10. Power user menu - right click (or Win+X) and it gives you a very useful menu for all commonly accessed administrative tools.

11. Improved file explorer - much improved, simplified and with all functions available and not hidden unlike Windows 7.

12. Modern UI - like it or not, but this makes it an ambitious OS, and Windows 8 is arguably the best tablet OS around. Nobody else has tried to bridge the gap. Also the Start Screen is nowhere near as bad as most want to believe.

13. Will be updated for longer - enough said.

14. Better battery life on laptops - uses less resources, doesn't use Aero.

15. Built in Anti-Malware protection.

16. Reset and Refresh - ability to factory reset Windows without reinstalling the Whole OS.

17. Storage spaces - fully fledged RAID software baked in.

18. File History - automatic backups of files if you desire it.

Enough for you to go on? That's not even a comprehensive list!

Windows 8 is NOT perfect, but most users will choose to ignore the improvements to support their own weak arguments. Indeed, the same users will often say Windows XP was the best thing since sliced bread despite Mac OSX coming out around the same time and making XP look utterly ancient.

I respect your own decision not to bother with 8 as if everything works for you, why would, you, but its bad advice to tell someone to buy 7 instead of 8, and not just for the reasons above.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul, the arguments against Win8 are not weak. I do appreciate those valid points to get Win8 - for IT techs.

What you've listed there is pretty much all the positives of Win8, basically no negative points. Yet you've got the cheek to say arguments vs Win8 are weak? lol

XP compared to then-OSX? OSX was limited in what it could do so you can't compare them. Its like saying a motorbike is better than a car.

You are right though. Valid points for people in IT business, students and any office staff who use Win8 at both home and at work, which is probably a minority considering it seems most people now use tablets/smartphones instead of laptops/PC's, and a lot of businesses have only just changed from XP to 7.

I'm a PC gamer in my spare time, with high-end gear and I know my way around a PC more than almost everyone I've ever known since leaving school. I'm an Electrician so have almost no need for a computer in my job. So I've no need for Win8, except for faster boot up time...
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    What improvements?

People used to say bad things about Vista while some people said it was ok, so figured I'd try it out just in case. Know what? wish I hadn't bothered, luckily Win7 was less than a few months from release. So Win8? No. Will wait for reviews of Win9.

OK so everything you think you know about W8 is all second hand and some other peoples opinions. You've already illustrated, with your Vista example, that it's not wise to rely on others for your opinion.
    Best to comment on something you've actually used - with or without TP apps - than to just repeat something you heard.