PVR Software for TV

I would like to know if it is possible to get PVR type software to use on a TV with external hard drive?

wallie

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to explain better what you are trying to do. If you mean some software that runs on the TV then the answer is very probably no. You would need some sort of external device to run the software on. So may as well invest in a PVR anyway. Plus with a dedicated PVR you have the option to record totally independently of the TV.

Most TVs only have a single tuner anyway so you are restricted to viewing or recording only one channel at a time. With a PVR you have another set of tuners so can easily record something different to what you are watching on the telly.

There are TVs with the ability to record to USB drives but if you do not have such a set I seriously doubt you can add that functionality to it. It would require a rewrite of the TVs firmware which I suspect few if any manufacturers can be bothered to do (doubt there is much market for such a feature to be honest)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    the telly must have DNLA to read from a hard drive...............

Get a new telly with ethernet and a hard drive with ethernet and connect to your router

you could use a games console to play the files from your hard drive or a media player

this is my understanding of what the OP asked,.....................I think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    in fact the new Panny will Record from telly to hard drive via USB if that is what the OP asks ?

as well as having an ethernet . G 20 series
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Thanks
    I have an ethernet connection from my Samsung ue32c6000 connected to a router.
    I am not sure by whats meant by G-20 though.
    Do you know the model number of the Panny?

wallie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    He means that Panasonic do a range of TVs that have Ethernet and can also be used with USB Hard Drives for recording and playback. The model numbers donate screen size, the P50G20 for example, has both a Freesat HD and Freeview HD tuner built in, so can be used with one or both sources and is 50 inch in size, whereas the P42G20 has the same features, but a smaller screen size of 42inches. The G20 series can record to USB connected hard drives, and can also playback from them as well as having DLNA support so can playback files from a computer or network connected NAS drive via your router.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/NeoPDP+Plasma+TV/TX-P50G20B/Overview/3569508/index.html

Recording isn't quite as flexible as with a dedicated PVR though, as you wont be able to record one Freeview channel while watching another, or record one Freesat channel while recording another. However, you could probably record one Freeview channel while watching a Freesat channel so, depending on your requirements, it may not be a major concern. However, buying a new TV just to have PVR features is a bit expensive compared to just buying a PVR itself to add to your existing set up. £200 or thereabouts for a Freeview HD or Freesat HD PVR, or £800-£1000 for a new TV.