Options

How can anyone think Michael Moon is a good actor?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's true the laugh/smile is so annoying but really does the trick as it immediately makes you so angry. He knows it annoys everyone (the characters on eastenders not us cause that would be just weird) so he does it all the more!
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I couldn't stop laughing after he got through out the pub, the way he was acting felt like he was trying too hard. Other than that I think he's pretty good
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSweeet7 wrote: »
    Obviously I mean Steve John Sheperd, but he is abysmal! He's appallingly bad but a lot of people on here really think he's good for some reason... Why?

Michael Moon is not a "good man", therefore he's not a "good" character in that sense.

When I say Michael is a GOOD character, I mean I like the fact that he's interesting to watch. He's unpredictable, has a lot of hidden depth and many, many layers. You can never tell what he truly thinks or feels. THAT'S what makes him a good character.

As for whether Steve John Shepherd is a good actor or not, well, that's purely subjective. I happen to think he is, but others may disagree. There is no right or wrong answer.

I hope that clears things up for you :cool:
  • Options
    .exe.exe Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated him at first but he grew on me so much, I hate what he's done to jean but still I have a soft spot for Michael.

I think it's his quirky little twitches and characteristics I like, the same can be said for Brendan in HO <3
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, none of the EE actors are 'good' in the way that other actors are. Where is their theatre or Shakespeare exprerience? Where is their breadth beyond 'cheeky/tortured cockney'? I see Jake Wood and Steve McFadden idolised on here, but where is their CV (and I don't mean panto) showing their range of acting parts over the years? A soap should, at most, be a stepping stone - and even then, it's the easy option in terms of acting. Yes, the hours are long and the amount of lines they have to learn is more than some other roles, but that alone does not make a 'good' actor, neither does them only acting in one genre. If they (Jake, Phil etc) are that good where is their 'break out' role, where is their courage in walking away and relying on their acting skill to get new roles in either TV, film or live theatre? Tonight Paul Nicholls was in Holby - now, whilst his range of roles hasn't yet been huge, and whilst Holby is a 'continuing drama, his acting CV is fairly extensive (and not restricted to soaps/continuing dramas alone). When I see him I don't see Paul circa 1997 in EE, I see an actor who has taken on a new role and made it his own. That is the mark of a good actor.

Now, it could be said that SJS actually falls more into Paul Nicholls' category because he's been in other things prior to EE, and (although I've never seen any of them) they seem to have been quite different. However, that doesn't make him a 'good' actor per se - sometimes he comes across as being very 'Charicature-ish' on EE, which may be the fault of the fliming schedule and writing.

But, for the most part, many of the most widely-praised actors on EE, and I include Jake Wood, Linda Henry, Steve McFadden, Adam Woodyat, Rita Simons (who seems to think that shouting 'oi' in a loud cockney voice at everyone counts as 'acting'...) and others in that, whilst hugely praised by some, are simply playing the only character type they are capable of in the only accent they can do. In essence, they are playing themselves, or something close to it.

If they were really so good, really in such demand, they wouldn't hang around on the slog that is a TV soap - the only reason they do is that they know it's a steady job and that opportunities outside of it will be few and far between (step forward Cheryl Fergusson - who admitted as much herself; she was desperate to stay, devastated to be 'let go', and very realistic of her acting prospects post-EE, in other words 'practically non-existent'.) And, before anyone says 'but they do panto', that is not 'showing their range in other acting roles in the theatre'!

As I say, SJS may be one of the exceptions... but if he's to prove that then he has to get out, and get out soon, and into something completely different, not another soap-type show. He has to do comedy, or drama, or something - anything - that is not like EE. And so do many of the others if they want people to think they are 'great actor'.

Now, I wonder who will take that chance...
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    ^ jake wood has had small roles in plenty of tv shows. EE was his big break and i think its unfair to say that theyre not good actors just cos they havent been in other shows - they were never really given the chance as its too late now. the younger ones still could prove they are good

some others have been in other things and played iconic roles

SJS was big before EE i dont think he will be typecasted

think you should check their IMBD's instead of saying they have no cv
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    lol Priscilla, still love you too. No what I'm trying to say is that not many characters can carry off the array of mannerisms that the actor does and it's not easy to do. He seems to be on some kind of timer where he can switch on and off and that's what I meant by him being a good actor;):)
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its his smile lol tonight especially !

Oh yes - the crazy smile.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ jake wood has had small roles in plenty of tv shows. EE was his big break and i think its unfair to say that theyre not good actors just cos they havent been in other shows - they were never really given the chance as its too late now. the younger ones still could prove they are good

some others have been in other things and played iconic roles

SJS was big before EE i dont think he will be typecasted

think you should check their IMBD's instead of saying they have no cv

Um, I did check imdb - I'm always on imdb for tv/film info! And I have seen Jake in a couple of other things - but other than having hair in those days, he was just playing 'cheeky cockney'.

Maybe my idea of a 'good actor', and a broad acting CV, is different to other people's... horses for courses and all that. EE is what it is.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol Priscilla, still love you too. No what I'm trying to say is that not many characters can carry off the array of mannerisms that the actor does and it's not easy to do. He seems to be on some kind of timer where he can switch on and off and that's what I meant by him being a good actor;):)

yeah i see what you mean
    anyway we both love each other and thats the main thing:D
    friends over guys any day :D mwah xxx
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I think he's alright, sometimes good sometimes bad. But then I think in the scenes he is bad in he is acting as Michael acting, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think all the little things Michael does, like the arm flicking tonight, is part of Michael's character. I think tomorrow night's episode, when he opens up to Kat, will show how good SJS can be.
  • Options
    04ikhan04ikhan Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Lennie wrote: »
    Everytime i see Michael i see Brendan Brady and feel he is a second rate Brendan Brady (i cant even say he is trying to be Brendan coz well its not the same show and most ppl probably dont watch Hollyoaks - but i always feel like i am seeing a crap version of Brendan in Michael lol), but Brendan Brady is the way better character........... and Emmett plays it so well, with his quirks and so on

Me too I see Michael as EE version of Brendan Brady
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Lennie wrote: »
    Everytime i see Michael i see Brendan Brady and feel he is a second rate Brendan Brady (i cant even say he is trying to be Brendan coz well its not the same show and most ppl probably dont watch Hollyoaks - but i always feel like i am seeing a crap version of Brendan in Michael lol), but Brendan Brady is the way better character........... and Emmett plays it so well, with his quirks and so on

Janine and Brendan together? Wow, what a pairing that would be.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, none of the EE actors are 'good' in the way that other actors are. Where is their theatre or Shakespeare exprerience? Where is their breadth beyond 'cheeky/tortured cockney'? I see Jake Wood and Steve McFadden idolised on here, but where is their CV (and I don't mean panto) showing their range of acting parts over the years? A soap should, at most, be a stepping stone - and even then, it's the easy option in terms of acting. Yes, the hours are long and the amount of lines they have to learn is more than some other roles, but that alone does not make a 'good' actor, neither does them only acting in one genre. If they (Jake, Phil etc) are that good where is their 'break out' role, where is their courage in walking away and relying on their acting skill to get new roles in either TV, film or live theatre? Tonight Paul Nicholls was in Holby - now, whilst his range of roles hasn't yet been huge, and whilst Holby is a 'continuing drama, his acting CV is fairly extensive (and not restricted to soaps/continuing dramas alone). When I see him I don't see Paul circa 1997 in EE, I see an actor who has taken on a new role and made it his own. That is the mark of a good actor.

Now, it could be said that SJS actually falls more into Paul Nicholls' category because he's been in other things prior to EE, and (although I've never seen any of them) they seem to have been quite different. However, that doesn't make him a 'good' actor per se - sometimes he comes across as being very 'Charicature-ish' on EE, which may be the fault of the fliming schedule and writing.

But, for the most part, many of the most widely-praised actors on EE, and I include Jake Wood, Linda Henry, Steve McFadden, Adam Woodyat, Rita Simons (who seems to think that shouting 'oi' in a loud cockney voice at everyone counts as 'acting'...) and others in that, whilst hugely praised by some, are simply playing the only character type they are capable of in the only accent they can do. In essence, they are playing themselves, or something close to it.

If they were really so good, really in such demand, they wouldn't hang around on the slog that is a TV soap - the only reason they do is that they know it's a steady job and that opportunities outside of it will be few and far between (step forward Cheryl Fergusson - who admitted as much herself; she was desperate to stay, devastated to be 'let go', and very realistic of her acting prospects post-EE, in other words 'practically non-existent'.) And, before anyone says 'but they do panto', that is not 'showing their range in other acting roles in the theatre'!

As I say, SJS may be one of the exceptions... but if he's to prove that then he has to get out, and get out soon, and into something completely different, not another soap-type show. He has to do comedy, or drama, or something - anything - that is not like EE. And so do many of the others if they want people to think they are 'great actor'.

I can't say I agree.

It's not all about how much an actor has on their CV, it's about their ability to act, play a range of emotions and make people really believe in their character. Jamie Foreman for instance has been in many different films and TV shows, yet a lot of people have said they think he's a poor actor. The actors who play Ian Beale, Dot Branning, Phil Mitchell and many others hardly have anything other than Eastenders on their CV's, but they're all amazing actors and better than a lot of actors I've seen who have been in a range of different TV shows and films.
  • Options
    buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stop laughing after he got through out the pub, the way he was acting felt like he was trying too hard. Other than that I think he's pretty good

I know I said I am not a fan, but its good that you saw this, the character *was* acting, as he was trying to cause a fight to make Janine agree to put the wedding back on...I think
  • Options
    JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Michael Moon is not a "good man", therefore he's not a "good" character in that sense.

When I say Michael is a GOOD character, I mean I like the fact that he's interesting to watch. He's unpredictable, has a lot of hidden depth and many, many layers. You can never tell what he truly thinks or feels. THAT'S what makes him a good character.

As for whether Steve John Shepherd is a good actor or not, well, that's purely subjective. I happen to think he is, but others may disagree. There is no right or wrong answer.

I hope that clears things up for you :cool:

Great post, maurice - I agree. :)
    buffyslay wrote: »
    I know I said I am not a fan, but its good that you saw this, the character *was* acting, as he was trying to cause a fight to make Janine agree to put the wedding back on...I think

Yes, I thought Michael's 'performance' yesterday noticeably increased when he saw Janine was watching. In the beginning, he was genuinely angry, seeing as - yet again, Janine (in his mind) disregarded his feelings. Just after he had been 'up and down the country' to get a really special song for her for their first dance, she tells him the wedding's off! Clearly, we know that was under medical advice, but that was the reason for his initial anger.

And I agree, I think the visit to the pub was to provoke the reaction he got as part of his plan to get Janine to put the wedding back on. His behaviour was noticeably different from the episode after his father left, when he was undoubtedly devastated, and in his anger, went to the Vic, demanding to see Tommy.

I've seen SJS in other things, ranging from serious to comedy and have mostly enjoyed them. He was fine in This Life, but came across as rather stilted in Maisie Raine, but that was well over 10 years ago. I thought he was great in Plus One where he had a comedy role.

I love what he's done with Michael, and all the nuances he brings to the character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    His delivery doesn't seem particularly natural to me , its as he's trying too hard to be quirky. I don't get the love.
  • Options
    VirginiaDemVirginiaDem Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is actually a really good post. It's perceptive and generally accurate, even if it does ruffle feathers.

BIB: In the US, there's actually a particular genre of actor tagged as a "soap actor." Many years ago, a very popular actress on a leading soap was sacked and recast because the new producer taking over that particular soap thought she was too much of a "soap actress," and wanted someone with a wider background of expertise. Back in the 60s and 70s, when the genre was at its peak, many of the daily soaps were made in New York, and a lot of their actors were people who were trying to get a Broadway break or further their careers. A role in a soap would pay the rent or the bills and could prove an opening to something bigger. The actress whom Tim Rice cast in the Broadway version of Evita came off Days of Our Lives and didn't look back.

Kevin Costner, Patrick Duffy, Tom Hanks and Susan Sarandan all got their start in daytime soaps.

Arguably, the most successful actor to emerge from Eastenders is probably Nigel Harman. He's the only one who's won a significant award post-EE.

I think with a lot of those in Eastenders (and Corrie and Emmerdale), their characters prove popular, they mature in the role, marry etc. The regular income pays for the school fees and (like Johnny Briggs, who was listed as one of the top young RADA talents, along with Michael Caine and Terence Stamp) the holiday home in Florida or Spain.

I don't know what Steve McFadden (another RADA grad) did before Eastenders, but - aside from a couple of things for the BBC and panto - he's done little since. Adam Woodyatt has actually done nothing else but Eastenders, and as good as Jake Wood is, a lot of his other roles have just been versions of whom we now know as Max Branning. Many people pointed out when Scott Maslen started on Eastenders, he merely played another version of the character he played on The Bill.

I actually think SJS is a very good actor. I also happen to think he's savvy enough to know that his character will have a limited shelf life and, therefore, he - the actor - will know when to call time on Michael Moon. It will be sooner, rather than later.

Fair assessment. When Ross Kemp left Eastenders for ITV, he basically played characters that were Grant Mitchell with another name. This is what I mean by Lacey Turner. Yes, she's got work at the moment, but she's playing another version of Stacey Slater. She looks the same, she sounds the same. It's like "What Stacey Did Next."

Fair dos to Jessie Wallace. When she played a young Pat Phoenix, at least she attempted a Northern accent.

Again, this is fair. I do think someone like Jake Wood would and has done film roles, but most of these people would fall into the category of "character" actor. Charlie Brooks appeared in the BBC's version of Bleak House, and she was actually very good. Her character on Eastenders - like Sam Womack's character - is actually better spoken than the others, as was Michelle Ryan. I'm actually surprised that Charlie returned to Eastenders, but I'm not disappointed. Still, as I said, she's got an eight year-old daughter. Steve McFadden, Shane Richie, Brooks, Jessie Wallace, Jake Wood, Nina Wadia, Diane Parish, Adam Woodyatt, Patsy Palmer ... all have schoolaged kids. Like I said, the regular income pays the school fees.

I may be wrong, but I don't think SJS is the type to stick with Eastenders, long-term.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I've always felt that there are two actors here. There is SJS playing Michael and then there is Michael acting out scenes as part of his manipulation. I thought it was obvious to the viewer that Michael was 'acting' that scene with Jean in the Vic last night to get Janine back on side...he desperately needs this wedding to go ahead. At other times, as with the record player, I'm left wondering if he is being genuine or just playing her.
    In my book SJS is one of the better soap actors....others are mediocre and barely pull it off and some are poor. He is perfect in this part and like Janine's character we're always left wondering ....