Pub sign causes outrage

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
A sign of the times: Pub which jokingly offers to ‘nail children to the table’ causes outrage.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/08/a-sign-of-the-times-pub-which-jokingly-offers-to-nail-children-to-the-table-causes-outrage-4897127/?ito=facebook

The complainers truly have no sense of humour.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a stupid thing for a business to do. I bet they lose custom over it.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really that funny TBH.

It seems silly if this pub does not want to be family-friendly, as they will be cutting out quite a few daytime/early evening customers. I certainly would turn right around and leave if I went into the pub for a meal and read that sign.

Not that we ever allow our kids to run round any restaurant or disturb other diners - UNLESS we are eating outside and there's a playground or patch of grass for them to play on. We assume no one will mind in that situation but some probably still get annoyed.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They should put stocks up so the whingers can be pelted with leftovers.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    A sign of the times: Pub which jokingly offers to ‘nail children to the table’ causes outrage.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/08/a-sign-of-the-times-pub-which-jokingly-offers-to-nail-children-to-the-table-causes-outrage-4897127/?ito=facebook

The complainers truly have no sense of humour.

I have a sense of humour but unfortunately that really isn't funny.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These days humour is not something that any business should try to do as theres always someone who can not understand that its done with humour and takes it as a fact.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Some pubs do have children free rooms or areas but sadly they are often the pokiest, gloomiest part of the place. Harking back to another thread a couple of weeks back, another reason why I like to have my earphones in while enjoying a quiet pint.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. Storm in a teacup. If indeed there is any storm at all.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on DS, I expect more from you - here are a few suggestions:

"kids shouldn't be in pubs"

"why do parents take kids into adult places"

"I like to drink my pint without someone else's brat spoiling it"

"Kids are vile"

"lets nail all the kids to tables"

"no-one should procreate - ever"
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not particularly funny, nor offensive. A non-story if ever there was one.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on DS, I expect more from you - here are a few suggestions:

"kids shouldn't be in pubs"

"why do parents take kids into adult places"

"I like to drink my pint without someone else's brat spoiling it"

"Kids are vile"

"lets nail all the kids to tables"

"no-one should procreate - ever"

They will be along soon :D
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everything has to be debated and moaned about these days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Others took to Facebook to voice their anger at the sign, with one anonymous user suggesting the owners of the pub should be ‘arrested for promoting child abuse’.

I really hope this person was being sarcastic.
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will be along soon :D

Oh alright then,

You shouldn't be drinking if you have kids

They are your kids you should be more strict with them

Children should be seen and not heard

I like children, but I can never eat a full one

Will that do for now?:D:D
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    It's not offensive in the slightest. It's not particularly funny either but it's funnier than it is offensive IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Not particularly funny, nor offensive. A non-story if ever there was one.

Completely agree.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid thing for a business to do. I bet they lose custom over it.

will they? this is surely great publicity for them and 93% of people on that Metro poll are agreeing that it's just a bit of fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that the landlord mean't it jokingly, but it isn't particularly that funny, so just a misfired attempt at humour really. The sign would have been better if it had just said:
    "Customers are reminded that Children should not be allowed to run throughout the premises" or something like that.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    These days humour is not something that any business should try to do as theres always someone who can not understand that its done with humour and takes it as a fact.

Unfortunately Maxatoria, you are right in saying that.
    How any sane person could interpret that sign as anything other than a rather unsubtle hint at egocentric parents to rein in their offspring I just don't know.
    I'm not one of those who think that children have no place in drinking establishments, I come from a country where they are welcomed as valuable future customers.
    However you will rarely, if ever, see a child wandering or running unchecked in a French bar or bistro, well not a French child anyway, I can't say the same for children of British parentage.
    I once saw a sign on the window partition of a London black cab, it said, "British parents, please do not let your children play with switches for lights, heater, windows, etc. in the rear."
    When I asked why it only stipulated British parents, the driver said that German, Dutch, Spanish, American, and other nationalities kids didn't usually touch the switches, only British and Arab kids did, but he couldn't write in Arabic!
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. It's time people got over themselves. How they can take something so seriously is pathetic
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that the landlord mean't it jokingly, but it isn't particularly that funny, so just a misfired attempt at humour really. The sign would have been better if it had just said:
    "Customers are reminded that Children should not be allowed to run throughout the premises" or something like that.

they would still of had complaints from people that its cruel not to expect a kid to want to run around and play
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    It's clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Sorry, I mean death to the child haters, they're worse than paedos and if I met the landlady I would not be able to be held responsible for my actions.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame the pub isn't closer to me, as I would take them up on the extra service they are offering....the sign is supposed to be taken in jest, some people are just way to over sensitive if this causes offence.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Perhaps funnier would be "any loose children will be rounded up and put to work washing the dishes"?
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I don't mind children in pubs as long as they stand their round.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. It's time people got over themselves. How they can take something so seriously is pathetic

It's a bit rude though. Imagine if you arrived with well-behaved children in tow. It seems the sign is accusing all children of being annoying little gits who are going to cause chaos in the establishment before they are even shown to their table.