Corrie: Is George's plan falling into place?

Comments

• billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree, and I like to see some nice/normal people in the street to give balance ... the number of jailbirds is ridiculous.

However, I think the writers won't be able to resist the unrealistic, dramatic load of baloney storyline and will go for tug-of-love, so he'll be wrenched from father whose conquered his demons and supportive extended family/community, and placed with an old man who let down his own daughter and has a "past" only hinted at.

Baaaah.

I suppose young Simon can only be in the soap so long, so going to live with George is better than having him killed off. Marginally.
  • PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grandad George won't get custody because he will be off to South Africa in the summer as his alter ego Jimmy Greaves! Honestly hes a dead ringer for him!

Yeah something isn't right but why can't we just have a kindly grandad, a normal storyline, everything has to be MASSIVE!!!

Ken is going a bit too far I think! I love Ken!!!!
  • Hootie19Hootie19 Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Peter falls off the wagon, and George goes for custody, wouldn't Ken & Drearie fight for custody?

If custody of Simon is going to go to grandparents, then I would have thought K&D, having had more of a relationship with him, would be more likely to win.

And with Blanche no longer living in the house, he'd be able to have his own room in the house, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know if the courts would award custody based on house size and income, or who would be likely to give the child the most stable upbringing.

(Not entirely sure either set of grandparents score that highly on that last point!)
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    billio wrote: »

However, I think the writers won't be able to resist the unrealistic, dramatic load of baloney storyline and will go for tug-of-love, so he'll be wrenched from father whose conquered his demons and supportive extended family/community, and placed with an old man who let down his own daughter and has a "past" only hinted at.
    PlasticGob wrote: »
    Yeah something isn't right but why can't we just have a kindly grandad, a normal storyline, everything has to be MASSIVE!!!
    !!!!

The writers don't do normal, kindly, jolly grandparents ... (apart from those already established on the street ) ... remember Bethany's grandma, she was a complete looney, although she started off nicely enough!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim Crowther did say Simon would be in the middle of a BIG story in the New Year - I'd bet anything on it being a 'George-trying-to-get-custody' storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I agree with all those who say George wouldn't get custody in the real world...however two points...
    a) this is Corrie
    b) Having met people like George before, rich, successful, self-made they are used to getting their own way and didn't get rich by being pussy-cats. Someone like George would have poohed on many a person to get where they are, particularly in the construction industry (isn't that his game?). He won't care if it is unlikely, he will try anyway and destroy anyone, including Simon, who stops him getting his own way. He would care more about his own ego than his own Grandson.

This whole letting Lucy down thing is about George, George, George. He wants Simon to salve his own conscience, but in typical "The Big I am" style he won't care how many more people he hurts in the process.....
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this country lets any old tramp be parents, look at the state of social services so i dont doubt george will go for custody
  • when0in0romewhen0in0rome Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    BZR wrote: »
    this country lets any old tramp be parents, look at the state of social services so i dont doubt george will go for custody

and how exactly is 'this country' going to stop people having babies?
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and how exactly is 'this country' going to stop people having babies?

A free widescreen telly with every sterilisation?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Hootie19 wrote: »
    If Peter falls off the wagon, and George goes for custody, wouldn't Ken & Drearie fight for custody?

If custody of Simon is going to go to grandparents, then I would have thought K&D, having had more of a relationship with him, would be more likely to win.

The ways things are going at the moment; Ken and Deirdre could be divorced before George gets any custody thing going. His battles with Ken could intensify if he sees the tension it's envoking between K & D; as surely this would play into Georgies hands
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing about this storyline is that we may well lose Simon from the cast if George gets custody. In terms of acting ability he is miles ahead of any previous Corrie child. He can string a sentence together, speak clearly and has superb comic timing. Contrast his performance with David Platt or Rosie Webster at the same age. No contest!! - (actually he has probably has more acting ability than Sean Tully has now :D)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope George does take that annoying precoscious hairy little brat out of the street for good.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Because he is to old and will need looking after himself soon enough

Aside from that Ken & Deidree would have a good chance of winning custody if Peter was ever considered an unfit parent. Besides, if George was going to use the fact that Peter's an alcoholic who's running a bar in a custody battle, what's he going to say when confronted with why he gave Peter the money to run it in the first place? The whole story's a load of pony.
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think George is setting Peter up to tempt him back on the booze so he can say he's an unfit parent. This is further intensified if Peter does another one of his drunken stupors and puts Simon in danger again - maybe another hospital stay. Social services would step in anyway and George then argues he's the man to look after him. Deidree and Ken are barely talking and with what he knows about them - prison, affairs etc he'll use all this for his case - as well as being able to afford a top lawyer. To be fair, I wouldn't mind it as it would get that awful kid off the screen - I really don't like his acting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    lilactime wrote: »
    I agree with all those who say George wouldn't get custody in the real world...however two points...
    a) this is Corrie
    b) Having met people like George before, rich, successful, self-made they are used to getting their own way and didn't get rich by being pussy-cats. Someone like George would have poohed on many a person to get where they are, particularly in the construction industry (isn't that his game?). He won't care if it is unlikely, he will try anyway and destroy anyone, including Simon, who stops him getting his own way. He would care more about his own ego than his own Grandson.

This whole letting Lucy down thing is about George, George, George. He wants Simon to salve his own conscience, but in typical "The Big I am" style he won't care how many more people he hurts in the process.....

The words 'nail' and 'head' (linked by 'hit' and 'on the') come to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the custody thing is the most likely scenario - however it's possible that they will do something nobody is expecting and we will find out that there is more to George than meets the eye...he could have very sinister reasons for wanting to get close to Simon. Horrible but it does happen. The bar thing could be a way of distracting Peter and Leanne so they don't realise Simon is being groomed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I hope George does take that annoying precoscious hairy little brat out of the street for good.

A big Amen to that. It's like being haunted by Michael Jackson all over again. Sort of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand Simon either. And why, if he's the offspring of Peter and Lucy, does he look like he could belong to Dev?:eek:

And what's happened to Amy - have Ken and Drearie forgotten all about her. Simon came along, and little Amy hasn't been carried around by either grandparent since:eek:
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon is great.. you must be pretty cold hearted not to be melted by his cuteness!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very warm hearted thank u very much:D:D

But Simon is not cute! Spoilt, yes, cute, no:D
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be, perhaps, that George and his wife are only the couple who perform housekeeping duties at the house? Perhaps they are aware that Peter was left the money in Simon's mum's will.
    Probably totally wrong, just an idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarrieAnne wrote: »
    I can't stand Simon either. And why, if he's the offspring of Peter and Lucy, does he look like he could belong to Dev?:eek:

And what's happened to Amy - have Ken and Drearie forgotten all about her. Simon came along, and little Amy hasn't been carried around by either grandparent since:eek:

Probably because Simon is a 100% better actor than Amy - leave her to Steve & Becky.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevnaldo wrote: »
    Probably because Simon is a 100% better actor than Amy - leave her to Steve & Becky.

Where on earth IS Amy? :p Talking of the young actors, Simon is a great little character and excellent actor, but I was remembering that Chesney used to be amazing. Strangely, as he's become older it's as if he's more self-conscious and his acting isn't as good.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that George isn't even the Grandad.? He had a photo of him and Lucy together but that doesn't prove he's her dad does it?
  • Lorri LouLorri Lou Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that George isn't even the Grandad.? He had a photo of him and Lucy together but that doesn't prove he's her dad does it?

I was actually thinking the same. Peter had never met him before, he was not part of Lucy;s life, therefore he could be anyone!