Options

Will espn be cheaper next season

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Will espn be cheaper next season due to the fact there will be less appeal for it as it will only have 23 premership games compared to the 46 of this season?

Comments

• Options
    jam2000jam2000 Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred258 wrote: »
    Will espn be cheaper next season due to the fact there will be less appeal for it as it will only have 23 premership games compared to the 46 of this season?

Nope, as has been said before ESPN isnt just a Premiership football channel, its a sport channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But think about it at the moment if u phone sky to cancel espn they will give u this free for 4 months just for when the football season has started back up. It is a sports channel with sports on it that no one in the uk that really watches it. So there is no appeal to pay £9 a month for it except for the premership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But think about it at the moment if u phone sky to cancel espn they will give u this free for 4 months just for when the football season has started back up. It is a sports channel with sports on it that no one in the uk that really watches it. So there is no appeal to pay £9 a month for it except for the premership.

Where is your evidence that no one watches it?
    Of course people watch it and people enjoy watching the other sports they show.
    Not everyone is getting it free for 4 months only some.
    If you dont want to pay £9 a month then dont, its your choice.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must follow that if ESPN refuse to cut their price when their total number of Premiership matches decreases from 46 to 23, then $ky shouldn't put UP their prices when they have an increase of 23 Premiership matches, or am I being rather naive?:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've got the FA Cup next season, though, so surely that compensates for the loss in Premier League matches in some way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I really dont see the point in having an issue with ESPN losing some of the premiership matches... after all, its a multi sports channel... what about the dutch, italian, russian, portuguese football? You cant watch that anywhere else? and you get to watch NBA, NHL, etc....

I think they have a pretty reasonable programme lineup as it is...

would you prefer going back to the days of PPV and Premiership Plus? I know I wouldnt!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Premiership Plus was £50 a year if you waited till August IIRC... No contest. :P
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've got the FA Cup next season, though, so surely that compensates for the loss in Premier League matches in some way?
    No not really lol.

It was great having the FA Cup entirely on FTA and in HD this season, but would I subscribe to ESPN to watch it?

That would be a resounding NO! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Premiership Plus was £50 a year if you waited till August IIRC... No contest. :P

I agree - premplus was much better value if you only wanted footie.

I'm ringing up to cancel it today - if it weren't for the rugby union arriving next season I wouldn't bother to renew in August - not for 23 2nd-rate premier matches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    srhill wrote: »
    I agree - premplus was much better value if you only wanted footie.

I'm ringing up to cancel it today - if it weren't for the rugby union arriving next season I wouldn't bother to renew in August - not for 23 2nd-rate premier matches.

Thats fair enough, id do the same if I only had it for the football...

I just think that ESPN are filling the gaps and is currently worth keeping... I like the fact that I can watch the europeans leagues when theres nowt else on... handy for having a football marathon on a sunday!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I cancelled ESPN and sky Sports last week, I will reinstate them for one month to cover the end of next seasons premier league and the FA cup final, the rest of the season is irrelavent and i can catch the highlights on other channels.
    No seriously, you make your own choice based on your viewing pleasure. I was asked about the cricket and golf when I cancelled, though I like to watch both sports, they are all day events and I have to work so I was not missing anything other than a few highlights. 20 20 is a nice spectical but comes to a climax as I switch the sports back on for the footy season.
    With the world cup on this year, wimbledon and the open golf, I think i will have used all my sports credit with the wife without the need for pay channels.

Will I take ESPN in August, probably not, maybe the same as this year, take the half price for 3 month offer at the climax to next season. dont forget you are not tied into a 12 month sub, switch it on or off as the scedule suits you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody watches the other sports? Or you don't? Big difference. There's demand for a lot of ESPN's non-Premier League content.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I love ESPN and think the £9 is outstanding value.

I follow the SPL mainly and also the EPL.
    HUGE bonus for me is the US sports , I follow the NHL & NFL big time.
    With the news that ESPN HD (also 417) will show Monday night football -NFL it's an exciting time for me.

SPL , EPL although greatly reduced games next season , NFL , NHL , European football , college American football ... £9 for all that is great value in my book.

so , £2:25 per week for upto 7(or more) NHL games , a few SPL games , 3 or 4 College football , NFL , Dutch league is good to watch plus the odd NBA.

Works out to be pennie's per game. Plus If I threaten to cancel and get a few months free LOL then even better value :cool:
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Expect lots more 3 months for £4.50 deals.

The actual price is to stay the same. £9/£12 with no Sky Sports.
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    Nobody watches the other sports? Or you don't? Big difference. There's demand for a lot of ESPN's non-Premier League content.

The majority of these sports channels, past and present, would have started their existence relying on coverage of popular alternative sports, (eg. U.S. Sports) alongside the staple diet of football from Italy, Spain, etc.

We would have got a taste of these from their coverage on the public service channels. These would have been brought to us through affordable rights deals, which eventually funded the larger deals that saw the Premier League, Premiership Rugby, Cricket and more extensive coverage of the NFL for example.

The trick these days is for the public service channels, Sky, ESPN, Eurosport (part ESPN owned?!), etc. is to strike a balance of what their viewers/subscribers demand, the range of events they can show on their channels, and the sports rights worth chasing or keeping.

Did Setanta suffer because they didn't get the balance right?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    No not really lol.

It was great having the FA Cup entirely on FTA and in HD this season, but would I subscribe to ESPN to watch it?

That would be a resounding NO! :D

i agree, it was great watching all 3 or 4 matches over a weekend - free on itv / HD. & free on the net

Makes a change from having half on free channels & half on subscr channels.

Next season i'd be happy going back to seeing half of the live games, but with highlights of the rest.
  • Options
    2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Wildgust wrote: »
    I cancelled ESPN and sky Sports last week, I will reinstate them for one month to cover the end of next seasons premier league and the FA cup final, the rest of the season is irrelavent and i can catch the highlights on other channels.
    No seriously, you make your own choice based on your viewing pleasure. I was asked about the cricket and golf when I cancelled, though I like to watch both sports, they are all day events and I have to work so I was not missing anything other than a few highlights. 20 20 is a nice spectical but comes to a climax as I switch the sports back on for the footy season.
    With the world cup on this year, wimbledon and the open golf, I think i will have used all my sports credit with the wife without the need for pay channels.

Will I take ESPN in August, probably not, maybe the same as this year, take the half price for 3 month offer at the climax to next season. dont forget you are not tied into a 12 month sub, switch it on or off as the scedule suits you.
    Did you have to give Sky one months notice for cancelling? I did when I cancelled ESPN a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get this channel for FREE on Virgin Media. With ESPN HD:cool:
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

would you prefer going back to the days of PPV and Premiership Plus? I know I wouldnt!!!!!

I know I would!!!! There was lots of football on Sky for general viewing but if a match came on paper view that I really wanted to watch it was a one off fee - brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    jam2000 wrote: »
    Where is your evidence that no one watches it?
    Not everyone is getting it free for 4 months only some.
    If you dont want to pay £9 a month then dont, its your choice.

HAHA i've just tried this and, and got it free for 4 months!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have also to think that if the appeal with ofcom does not go skys way. Sky may then look to reduce the price of espn to be more competitve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have also to think that if the appeal with ofcom does not go skys way. Sky may then look to reduce the price of espn to be more competitve.

Why? What has the ofcom rule got to do with ESPN?
    Sky have no control about what ESPN charge for their channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    Why? What has the ofcom rule got to do with ESPN?
    Sky have no control about what ESPN charge for their channels.

Maybe not, however:-

sky could put pressure on espn to give same terms as virgin custs with threat to drop espn .... or

sky could absorb some of the cost themselves - say for sky world custs (Ipresume they have some agreement with espn for all the 4mths free espn offers currently about)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most viewers have it for the Premier League coverage, even if they don't they should ring up and cancel as ESPN are offering the service free for up to 6 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyk22 wrote: »
    Most viewers have it for the Premier League coverage, even if they don't they should ring up and cancel as ESPN are offering the service free for up to 6 months.

Do you have evidence of this?