Options

1985-2005 how much has your life changed in 20 yrs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote:
    God, my life is so boring, thanks for reminding me of the relentless passage of time.

:D

I'm still living in the same flat, doing the same work, but now self-employed rather than wage-slaving, erm........nothing much else much has changed........ :eek:

;) You forgot the silver hairs among the gold, swing!

:p
  • Options
    dizzyblondedizzyblonde Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member
    I think my life has changed more than words could possibly describe. When the first concert was held - I was a little girl living in Nigeria, my father a political prisoner. I knew nothing of Live Aid - but I am eternally grateful for the brave people who fed, supported and protected my mother, brother and myself - at great personal risk.

Twenty years on, and so many changes. I left my homeland, and learned a new way of life. There have been bad times; the deaths of my parents and my daughter, but so many good times as well, that I can reflect upon and smile. I have had a good education, have a job I love, a wonderful man for a partner and many many special friends.

And this time round, I am able to see a different perspective - view Live 8 from a television screen, in a country where I don't live in fear. That to me is such a privilege. My only sadness is that 20 years on, there is still a need for awareness. I am only too conscious that I am one of the lucky ones.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a policeman, plumber, carpenter, trainer, runner, singer, bass guitarist, superhero, fireman, criminal, politician, x-ray technician, warden, lollipop man, milkman, paramedic, Jesus, cleaner, actress, teacher, shop assistant, student, dancer, humanitarian, power plant supervisor, ice cream man, monkey, pharmacist, refuse collector, DJ, bibliographic database manager, president, actor, locksmith, astronaut, judge, mechanic, bridge safety officer, dentist, geologist, super villain, gardener and I'm currently working in a call centre.
  • Options
    lulululu Posts: 4,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my life has changed more than words could possibly describe. When the first concert was held - I was a little girl living in Nigeria, my father a political prisoner. I knew nothing of Live Aid - but I am eternally grateful for the brave people who fed, supported and protected my mother, brother and myself - at great personal risk.

Twenty years on, and so many changes. I left my homeland, and learned a new way of life. There have been bad times; the deaths of my parents and my daughter, but so many good times as well, that I can reflect upon and smile. I have had a good education, have a job I love, a wonderful man for a partner and many many special friends.

And this time round, I am able to see a different perspective - view Live 8 from a television screen, in a country where I don't live in fear. That to me is such a privilege. My only sadness is that 20 years on, there is still a need for awareness. I am only too conscious that I am one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for sharing your story Dizzy.

Let's hope something good comes out of Gleneagles on Wednesday. It annoys me they hold summits like this in a luxury upmarket hotel. Personally I think a Military barracks would be more suitable and certainly more secure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As always, dizzy, your posts make me feel very humble at just how much you've had to cope with.

May the next twenty years be a time of peace and prosperity for you. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warddrobe came back into fashion, shame i have put on about 4stone so cant get into any of it.
  • Options
    lulululu Posts: 4,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tazzeroo wrote:
    warddrobe came back into fashion, shame i have put on about 4stone so cant get into any of it.

How true is that! I mean about the fashion...not your weight ;) . I could have saved myself a fortune if I'd kept my gipsy skirts, big belts and 'ballet pumps' from all those years ago. My 14 yr old is astounded we wore things like that in the 'olden days' :eek:. Ripped jeans ain't a new thing either...I've still got a battered old pair of levis from first time round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote:
    As always, dizzy, your posts make me feel very humble at just how much you've had to cope with.

May the next twenty years be a time of peace and prosperity for you. :)

Ditto, tally - a very heart-warming story, dizzy :)

In 1985 i was 23, rather mixed up and confused, trying to be 'career-minded' but still very unfocused... and deeply in love with someone i really shouldn't have touched with the proverbial bargepole.... i.e. my best friend's only just ex-boyfriend :eek: . Socially, i was rather unsure of myself and couldn't make friends easily or keep them for very long. Accommodation-wise, I used to have to move around from pillar to post... i liked the lack of commitment of renting, but mostly it didn't really work for me. I did however have a vague vision of the sort of life i'd like to lead....

20 years on... i'm no more focused career-minded... but have a pretty good job that pays well and suits me most of the time; really good friends with both the ex-boyfriend and the best friend i stupidly betrayed; socially very confident and love meeting new people and enjoy an active and fun social life; living with a boyfriend who is very easy going and tolerant of my shortcomings... and yet accepting of the fact that one day i will probably be single - permanently; Half-own a great house with boyfriend, which is a good starting base for getting my own place in future; satisfy my slightly contrary personality and values by doing some personally very satisfying, challenging and absorbing voluntary work.

In short, i've pretty much got the life i dreamt of 20 years ago.... older, wiser, but probably not that different to the me of 20 years ago - but much more fulfilled and at peace somehow. :)
  • Options
    davey_do_littledavey_do_little Posts: 5,365
    Forum Member
    I have to say the last 20 yrs have been pretty much down hill, infact I was just thinking the other day how good the school/uni/first job days were - for all you youngsters out there please make the most of it! (38 yr old sad git)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Left school 20 years ago and remember watching most Live Aid before we went out for the evening. Wanted to get my own place and get a decent job in travel so I could earn enough to pay for a decent wardrobe and good nights out. I

20 years on I've worked in travel, hated it and gone into banking instead (it pays better). I've been married twice and given birth to my beautiful son. I've got a lovely house, decent car and great wardrobe. I've had great nights out, fab holidays and now settled into a lovely, cosy quiet life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewWoman wrote:
    Left school 20 years ago and remember watching most Live Aid before we went out for the evening. Wanted to get my own place and get a decent job in travel so I could earn enough to pay for a decent wardrobe and good nights out. I

20 years on I've worked in travel, hated it and gone into banking instead (it pays better). I've been married twice and given birth to my beautiful son. I've got a lovely house, decent car and great wardrobe. I've had great nights out, fab holidays and now settled into a lovely, cosy quiet life.

And you are still here on DS :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive just grown up i suppose.

I was 5 when live aid was on and thanks largly to that ive had to listen to my dad playing u2 songs for the best part of 20 years. Great
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you are still here on DS :D

Hey you :)

Still wander in and out. Mostly when little 'un is sleeping (which isnt that often) :sleep: <- how I feel
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewWoman wrote:
    Hey you :)

Still wander in and out. Mostly when little 'un is sleeping (which isnt that often) :sleep: <- how I feel

I've not been here in months and what happens, you have a baby!!! Congrats :)
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Dizzy your post nearly set me off in floods of tears again........what an inspiring life....

in 1985 I had a different husband , no children, smoked like a chimney and drank like the proverbial fish......20 yrs on re married and have 11 yr old son , non smoking and plump and cannot take the pace alcohol wise at all feeling hungover still and its nearly 9 pm