Hayfever 'cures'

lulululu Posts: 4,685
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My husband is really struggling with hayfever or some pollen related allergy. His eyes get painfully swollen red and itchy. He has bouts of sneezing where I think he will never stop, usually in the evening.

He is allergic to anti-histamines, they bring him out in rash, mainly just his arms and hands which is strange. Does anyone know of any alternative he can take?

Comments

• DingerDinger Posts: 2,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he should contact his GP, they should be able to suggest something.

Dinger :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has he tried homeopathic remedies? Also, eating small amounts of honey throughout the idea can alleviate symptoms. Immunotherapy could be something your GP could advise him about.
  • lulululu Posts: 4,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinger wrote:
    he should contact his GP, they should be able to suggest something.

He's so stubborn! He hates going to doc's, but his hand has been forced because he has been diagnosed with underactive thyroid. However...he hasn't brought up the hayfever thing at his recent visits. He's due back a week on Monday so I'll try and wear him down.

I know it's not pleasant for him, but it's not pleasant for me either having to listen to him moaning about it all the time.
    Sheesh I'm so heartless sometimes :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu wrote:
    He's so stubborn! He hates going to doc's, but his hand has been forced because he has been diagnosed with underactive thyroid. However...he hasn't brought up the hayfever thing at his recent visits. He's due back a week on Monday so I'll try and wear him down.
    you could go with him if your not busy.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cifpower wrote:
    Has he tried homeopathic remedies? Also, eating small amounts of honey throughout the idea can alleviate symptoms. Immunotherapy could be something your GP could advise him about.

He hasn't. Until his thyroid problem he wouldn't take any type of pill, it's only recently he actually took the neo-clarityn. Is there any one thing in particular in the homeopathic remedies you can recommend or know has helped someone?

thanks to all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dinger wrote:
    you could go with him if your not busy.

I offered in the past and he looked quite horrified :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu wrote:
    I offered in the past and he looked quite horrified :D

dont offer, just go :D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to my doctors about three days ago, and had the 'hay fever injection'. I'm not sure whats in it, but it's definately worked for me. My symptoms (runny nose, itchy red eyes, tickly throat, chronic sneezing) have all disappeared.

Go and ask your doctor (or his!) to see if he's eligible for it, it'll certainly help if he is!! There's 2 different strengths, 40mg and 80mg, so he'll perhaps have the 80mg if he's really bad.

Good Luck to him, I know how horrible it feels!

EDIT: I tried the neoclarytin as well, and that didn't work very well for me, so maybe he'll be better trying another drug. The honey helps as well though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to my doctors about three days ago, and had the 'hay fever injection'. I'm not sure whats in it, but it's definately worked for me. My symptoms (runny nose, itchy red eyes, tickly throat, chronic sneezing) have all disappeared.

Go and ask your doctor (or his!) to see if he's eligible for it, it'll certainly help if he is!! There's 2 different strengths, 40mg and 80mg, so he'll perhaps have the 80mg if he's really bad.

Good Luck to him, I know how horrible it feels!

EDIT: I tried the neoclarytin as well, and that didn't work very well for me, so maybe he'll be better trying another drug. The honey helps as well though!

Thanks. I've never heard of that before. I'll get him to ask when he's at the GP on the 18th (no chance of him going before unfortunately). I'll get some honey too and force that down his throat :D.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu wrote:
    My husband is really struggling with hayfever or some pollen related allergy. His eyes get painfully swollen red and itchy. He has bouts of sneezing where I think he will never stop, usually in the evening.

He is allergic to anti-histamines, they bring him out in rash, mainly just his arms and hands which is strange. Does anyone know of any alternative he can take?

He should see the Doctor , or go to a health shop and see if they have an natural items that may help.

I used to suffer terribly when I was younger, even with taking antihistamine. One thing I found was good when I used to have sneezing fits , was to get an ice cube wrap it in some tissue and hold it around the nose to numb it, also to put some cold water on some tissue and put it inside the nose. This helped numb up the nose for a while and stop the sneezing fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone. I may be able to get to the health shop later on to see what they have.

Scorching hot here today :)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Eating locally made honey can help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off out to buy some honey, so fingers crossed.
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu wrote:
    I'm off out to buy some honey, so fingers crossed.

Probably too late now but 'make sure' its LOCAL honey(as stated above) as the bees would have sourced it from flowers in your area. Normal Gales or branded type honey won't do anything, you will need to go to local farms for the fresh stuff. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote:
    Probably too late now but 'make sure' its LOCAL honey(as stated above) as the bees would have sourced it from flowers in your area. Normal Gales or branded type honey won't do anything, you will need to go to local farms for the fresh stuff. ;)

Haven't gone yet :) but I was thinking of going to one of the local garden centres and they often stock 'home made' honey.