Options

Doctor Who: Kill the Moon - 04/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:30pm) Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High concept sci-fi can be tricky. Fantastic can become ridiculous. But I think the episode gets away with it.

Big concepts, scary monsters, clever stuff..... 9 out of 10.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good episode but it's a little hard to believe that both the Earth (The Racnoss) and the Moon (Space Flea) are eggs for two different alien species.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wish the spiders had eaten Courtney tho .

Seconded!:D:D
  • Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how some people start moaning as soon as Doctor Who does proper sci-fi. It was one of the best episodes of this series.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I liked it. Liked that Doctor buggered off to let them make the decision, used to get fed up with DT Doctor always saving the bloody day.

And I admit I went "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW" at the moon egg. Ickle baby space dragon!!!

I am so liking PC as the Doctor.....
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great 45 mins of daft entertainment. Anyone who looks too deeply into it is kind of missing out.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Courtney was brilliant for the most part. Finest performance from a young actor in New Who.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah this was the first episode that I actually liked Capaldi , he really seemed to take hold of the role .

• Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode of this season for me. In fact, my favourite episode since The Eleventh Hour. Here's a link to my review, if anyone's interested ... Link
  • Options
    dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I'd hoped for so much.

But pathetically ridiculous science and an ending I didn't enjoy at all .>:(

If this was the first time I had watched the programme, I would have avoided it in future with a total dislike of the Doctor.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting idea that wasn't executed very well.

What Clara said at the end was spot on...the Doctor was a total arsehole.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was a very good episode that was overhyped and the fact that it was obvious from the get-go what the Doctor was going to do made it less so.

All the spoiler-free previews definitely took the gloss off that for me.

But it was worth it for those last ten minutes.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really not sure that moral choice held up.. It was just ultimately too soppy/fuzzy wussy.

It wasn't a moral dilemma, it was a guess, and the guess unsuprisingly worked.

And, guess what, the logic of time travel suddenly is plot driven, again...
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. I don't know why I was worried I'd overhyped it. It was brilliant. I could see why Clara was so offended, it was a total dick move on the Doctors part. He knew what would happen, and put her through the pain of the decision just because he could. It was indeed dark. And the bacteria spiders were genuinely creepy, I was actually scared. Mind you spiders as a rule make me want to cry excessively whilst throwing myself out of windows.
    Danny is just going up an up in my estimation. "Never leave something while it can still make you angry". Perfect.

Also, Capaldi's black and white polka dot top? Lush. I want seven.
  • Options
    dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Best episode of this season for me. In fact, my favourite episode since The Eleventh Hour. Here's a link to my review, if anyone's interested ... Link

Did you WRITE this episode?
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Yes it is.

I should trust my instincts and avoid this thread as it is full of boring attention seekers.

Just because I express a negative view? Seriously?

If you really believe I am an attentions seeker why give me attention?:D

I'm not really. If no one responds to my post I really don't mind. Nor do I mind if someone expresses a completely opposing view point. OF course, it's nice when someone shares my opinion :) I'm not seeking attention, just some where to vent. I normally only post when I have something positive to say as I have in the past been rounded upon for not liking an episode. And the first time this series I post something negative I am, predictably, attacked - as an attention seeker of all things!

This really isn't a very nice place to post anymore.:(
  • Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A touch above average but not by much, Listen and Into Dalek have been the stand outs for me so far :)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 12 apparently has forgotten everything he knew about humans and their emotions and came across as a heartless dick.

Clara (and Jenna) carried that episode once again and was amazing.

And yes she IS in next week despite their attempts to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Courtney was brilliant for the most part. Finest performance from a young actor in New Who.

She's old enough to pull it off. Bratty enough, but not too 'child actor' like...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series is turning out to be a bit marmite isn't it?

I didn't enjoy this ep, which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was an odd watch for me. I didn't dislike it but I didn't really like it much either.

I found the plot very unbalanced. It did get straight into things but didn't set up the guest cast in anyway whatsoever. I've only just found out what Hermoine Norris' character name was by the end credits - I don't recall it being mentioned at all. Her character was quite bland too but I think Hermoine did the best she could with barely anything.

Peter was again distinctly average to me and the beach scene at the end just showed up my problems even more - it feels like he's an actor reciting lines, he doesn't feel like the Doctor. I can't say Jenna was great either, she seemed a bit too away from it all in a sense and Courtney didn't bring much out her either.

For Peter Harness' first episode it wasn't bad but the whole plot felt odd. The moon was an egg? :confused: I do like strange ideas but even this seemed a bit too strange for me. Directing felt a bit naff to at times and the CGI was definitely iffy with the spiders at moments.

A rewatch may be in order but it's not one of those episode where I'd care if I never saw it again. That, aside from Time Heist, sums up Series 8 for me. It's very forgettable...
  • Options
    DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been critical of this series, as i've not enjoyed it all that much, but I really liked that episode.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what i feel about this one. Really wanted to love it but.. didn't.

Far from hated it though.

I'll rewatch and have a think but not an instant classic for me (which I thought it would be).

Should have been more claustrophobic
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very good IMO. I didn't care for the moral dilemma, I just couldn't invest in it at all, Clara gave me little reason to think her reaction at the end was justified. She seemed reasonably calm after The Doctor buggered off, as did the other characters. So much so that I was honestly surprised when I found out that they were planning on dying with the Moon, the script nor the performances gave me that impression.

I didn't even know what the names of Hermione Norris's character and her crew were. I just didn't care at all. As for Courtney... eh, whatever; simply another case of Doctor Who writers showing how little they actually understand teenagers.

It was one of those episodes that I should have really invested in, but I didn't. The spiders were cool, gave me a few scares, but that's pretty much all I enjoyed really.

I thought the first few episodes of the series were pretty damn good, the best DW had been in years, but now it's just going downhill for me. Some really great ideas and concepts, I just think the execution has been piss poor for the most part.

Getting real tired of saying "Next week looks great though!" to be honest.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the worst episode thus far - not even sure why I'm still watching.

Ridiculous premise, risible script, surprisingly poor acting from the extras and Hermoine. Awkward direction. Poor special effects and a big two fingers up at physics and established scientific fact.

Awful.

The episode with the space whale thing was a similar idea done so much better.

But let's take your post apart.

Worst episode - that is subjective. For me this series it is Robot of Sherwood.

Ridiculous premise/risible script - It was a debate as to whether we have the right to perform genocide. Pretty interesting concept. I said earlier it had echoes of The Genesis of The Daleks. Subjectively for me the script was better than ROS.

Acting/Direction - subjective again but it passed for me - subjectively. The story got told and their were some good scenes.

Awful acting - I am sure you will post your credentials which gives you the right to judge.

Special effects - good for Dr Who but the slightly bad special effects are what makes it Dr Who.

Physics and Scientific Fact - you do realise this is fictional, right?

The thing that should be discussed it the concept of whether we have the right to take life. I'll leave the "biting criticism" to the boring people.

Another thing to consider was his line about regenerating indefinitely. A quip or something the the new cycle has given him. I think it might be a quip but you never know.