Options

Do you think being so soon after the last series will spoil it?

KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
Forum Member
✭✭
I know the last series was delayed because of the election, but it only seems like five minutes since it finished and we're off again. Do you think that, and the fact that it seems to be the same old bunch of thick wannabees with very little change to the formula, except the different prize, will make it feel like it is starting to go a bit stale?

One change I would like to see is that the first task should be an individual one. I know the logistics of mentoring and filming it might be difficult but I think it would be fairer. They are given an amount of money and told to make as much as they can from it and the assessor gives them marks out of ten for common sense, people skills, ingenuity etc and the people with the lowest score and losing the most money are fired.

It would bring a bit of variety and sort the wheat from the chaff, but of course they won't do that, because the chaff is the entertainment!

Comments

• Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The earlier spring series have tended to start in February-March and run through to June so this one is 'late' in starting from that point of view. You're right though it seems hardly any time at all since the last series ended.

I personally don't know really for how long they can keep the show going and am very ambivalent about the 'new prize' on offer to the eventual winner as well.:confused:
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    See I find it really suprising that the last series finished just before Christmas. For me it feels like ages since the Apprentice has been on and Stella, Chris, Stuart et al are a distant memory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The format was exhausted during Series 4. They repeat the same tropes and "journeys" year on year and they're resorting to obvious scripting of events (and even of entire personalities, eg. Stuart Baggs) for fear they won't have the levels of drama to match up with the previous series.

It doesn't feel like there's anywhere to go from here. Much like X Factor, BGT and Big Brother it has outstayed its welcome.

(Judging from the audition VTs on the website we're in for another batch of objectionable pretend-egoists. Susan was the only one not immediately repellant, imo.)
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Aleksis wrote: »
    The format was exhausted during Series 4. They repeat the same tropes and "journeys" year on year and they're resorting to obvious scripting of events (and even of entire personalities, eg. Stuart Baggs) for fear they won't have the levels of drama to match up with the previous series.

Then what about Katie Hopkins :confused:

I think that the format was given new life in series 5 and I hope that the upcoming series will be at least as good as last year´s series (and not resort to the villainy of series 4 and to a lesser extent series 3).

It doesn't feel like there's anywhere to go from here. Much like X Factor, BGT and Big Brother it has outstayed its welcome.

You mean to say that those shows were ever worth watching :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there was going to be a junior apprentice first
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I think the bigger threat of spoiling the show is that almost all the tasks now seem to be retail. Sell the most items or one of you gets fired.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's too soon. Any more than the previous series was too soon after Junior.

I watched the US Apprentice, so for me it's even more recent.

I hope they don't have too much emphasis on selling or buying, and I'd like to see more variety in the tasks generally. However, changing the prize is potentially a big change in itself. For the US show they made a lot of changes, which ruined it.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I don't think it's too soon. Any more than the previous series was too soon after Junior.

I watched the US Apprentice, so for me it's even more recent.

I hope they don't have too much emphasis on selling or buying, and I'd like to see more variety in the tasks generally. However, changing the prize is potentially a big change in itself. For the US show they made a lot of changes, which ruined it.

I agree, i've said on another thread there should be more emphasis on how a teams run, not just based on who makes more profits ecc. Theres more to being an Apprentice than soley making profits.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, i've said on another thread there should be more emphasis on how a teams run, not just based on who makes more profits ecc. Theres more to being an Apprentice than soley making profits.

True, but its difficult to quantify those other skills on a show like Apprentice.
    To be fair to Lord Sugga he does sometimes save someone on their previous good performance and does point up when Nick/Karren have said that the candidate has been a particularly good performer away from the selling element of the task.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

(Judging from the audition VTs on the website we're in for another batch of objectionable pretend-egoists. Susan was the only one not immediately repellant, imo.)

If its so tired, why are you still watching? You even looked up the audition VTS on the website.:confused:
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    I thought there was going to be a junior apprentice first
    I really liked Junior Apprentice - I thought the candidates took it much more seriously - they weren't in it to be famous (well maybe apart from the blonde one with the beret and the lipstick, although she had a good business head too IMO).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Maybe...........it feels weird its on again for a new series, so soon after the last one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    If its so tired, why are you still watching? You even looked up the audition VTS on the website.:confused:

A show doesn't have to be continually fresh and innovative for people to want to watch it. Of what there is on television, The Apprentice is still one of the most watchable programmes despite being wholly predictable. People can watch it for a number of reasons; I do because I sometimes develop an attachment to one of the contestants (I didn't in Series 5 and it was so unbearable I had to stop watching quite early on).

I'm merely stating the facts here, not insulting the viewers; anyone who watches The Apprentice and thinks they're getting something new and non-formulaic each series is ignoring reality.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't feel like five minutes since we were watching the final between Stella and Chris, but I'm so glad it's back. I can't get enough of the Apprentice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are better characters in this series, time will tell
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    I really liked Junior Apprentice - I thought the candidates took it much more seriously - they weren't in it to be famous (well maybe apart from the blonde one with the beret and the lipstick, although she had a good business head too IMO).

I would have liked to see Junior Apprentice now, then show The adult series maybe in September or October.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    The first episode had me laughing 'til I cried - so not too soon - mind you - I could well feel differently once they start cutting out the entertaining dead wood
  • Options
    James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it's back, although I'm surprised they just didn't switch to Autumn transmission from here on in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member

I agree. I've worked in business all my career as a management consultant and I've never once been asked to 'hard sell' or 'cold sell' something. It's just not a skill that is used. The most important skills in business are relationship building, presenting, communicating, working efficiently etc. Securing big deals is important but they come about through the aforementioned skills, not by saying 'come on you know you want to' to someone.

I often feel that the Apprentice is a perfect job application process for a telesales employee or 'headhunter' etc but not for a business person that will make a difference to a company and bring real tangible benefits.

I understand that selling things makes decent tv, but sprinting around town trying to force someone into buying unedible food gives absolutely no indication as to how they will get on in business.
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I understand that selling things makes decent tv, but sprinting around town trying to force someone into buying unedible food gives absolutely no indication as to how they will get on in business.

Well you could argue 'selling' is even more important this series. The £250,000 business venture will rely on selling a product or service so the winner has to be good at selling or marketing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Well you could argue 'selling' is even more important this series. The £250,000 business venture will rely on selling a product or service so the winner has to be good at selling or marketing.

Again though any sales are likely to come from having a good idea, developing the financials and the product well, presenting it effectively to others and working well with other companies and building strong relationships with them. Most startups don't succeed by calling everyone in a phonebook and trying to force them to buy your new product - they succeed by creating something people want and demand follows.

Not much of this is reflected in the apprentice where if you stumble through a presentation, annoy your potential customers, and sell them a product that doesn't work, it's fine as long as you make more money than the other team.

Don't get me wrong - I like the show. I'm a fan. But its reflective of everything in life now where its all about selling things and making money at all costs. Most of the clients I deal with would be completely put off by the pushy and aggressive approaches of the candidates but thats why most of them are stockbrokers/estate agents/telesales people etc rather than real business minds.

In that task, it wouldn't have mattered if the orange juice made people ill, or the tomato soup was disgusting, or no financial planning was done, or no teamwork was in evidence, as long as they made the most money. While I find it highly amusing, I would hope young people dont think this is how good business people behave.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it's back, although I'm surprised they just didn't switch to Autumn transmission from here on in.
    They are doing Junior Apprentice in autumn. So a new series every six months or so.
    floopy123 wrote: »
    Or know how to hire a good salesperson.

I think the show sees sales as a proxy for negotiation and persuasion in general.