Woohoo! I FINALLY got a job after looking for ages

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats! It's a great feeling knowing you don't have to go back to the scummy job centre isn't it :D
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe-media wrote: »
    ... in an IT help desk apprenticeship role within a college.

IT Helpdesk ... Been there, my condolenses. ;)

Some might say .. Don't tell friends or family as you'll find yourself mending computers, for free, for the rest of your life. :D:D
    Friend: Hello Joe. Long time, no speak. How are you?
    Joe: I'm fine, how are you?
    Friend: Yeah, I'm Ok. I'm just having a few problems with my computer ...
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yay well done you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried switching it off and on again?

No, where is the button?

See the little green LED light on the front panel?

It's off.

Okay, you need to turn it on....
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone!

Sorry for the late reply but I have been busy most of the day so hope this isn't seen as dragging up an old thread...

Thanks for the congratulations - yes it does feel great to be off the benefits system, which is very unrewarding and patronising.

I know there're people out there still looking - keep faith and you WILL get there. I'm a relatively new member so I don't think many of you know me but it's heartwarming to see so many nice messages.

:)
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations and all the best in your new job.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done. I work on a IT Support desk at a college and as others have said you will get the odd (usually teacher) who hasn't a clue about their pc and printer but it all adds to the fun of the day!

Also a good idea not to let on to friends and family that you work in IT or that will be the end of your evenings and weekends!

Enjoy
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Well done. I work on a IT Support desk at a college and as others have said you will get the odd (usually teacher) who hasn't a clue about their pc and printer but it all adds to the fun of the day!

Also a good idea not to let on to friends and family that you work in IT or that will be the end of your evenings and weekends!

Enjoy

Hey thanks :-) Well to be honest, I wouldn't mind being inundated because if I hadn't got this job, I'd have taken up self employment - I was desperate to get off JSA! I rather enjoy sorting out messed up computers and do actually do it in my spare time sometimes... my job won't involve me sorting them out per se, but I'll be forwarding the problems onto the rest of the team. That said, they said there might be the odd opportunity to sort them out given as I'm interested :)
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, joe-media! Hope you enjoy your new job! :)
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!! Hopefully I'll be joining your club too, wish me luck for my interview tomorrow :)
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe-media wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

Sorry for the late reply but I have been busy most of the day so hope this isn't seen as dragging up an old thread...

Thanks for the congratulations - yes it does feel great to be off the benefits system, which is very unrewarding and patronising.

I know there're people out there still looking - keep faith and you WILL get there. I'm a relatively new member so I don't think many of you know me but it's heartwarming to see so many nice messages.

Drag it up as often as you like Joe, it is so nice to see such a good news thread. Your enthusiasm is a pleasure to read. Congratulations and good luck. Let us know how it goes. :)
    shantom wrote: »
    Congratulations!! Hopefully I'll be joining your club too, wish me luck for my interview tomorrow :)

Good luck shantom, again, come back and let us know how you get on :)
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Good for you (both). :cool:

It right royally pees me off when people argue that it's easy for anyone to find work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Awh, congrats! My husband's finally got a permanent job today as well! V. chuffed for him, as it means he won't be working stupid temping nightshifts anymore :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LollyPants wrote: »
    Awh, congrats! My husband's finally got a permanent job today as well! V. chuffed for him, as it means he won't be working stupid temping nightshifts anymore :D

Great, great news. This is fast becoming one of my favourite threads ever.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Good for you (both). :cool:

It right royally pees me off when people argue that it's easy for anyone to find work.

Yup. I could understand that point of view back in 07/08 when there was plenty of jobs available. I managed to find a job easily enough back then, but at the moment the job market around here is dead.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to all job-finders!

I was offered a job on Monday after a year unemployed. And I got another offer today! I actually think I'll take the one that pays less, as it interests me more.

At some points, I just felt hopeless. I gave up believing that I would ever be offered a half-decent position. For those who want to work, unemployment makes you feel depressed and worthless.

But there are jobs around, even in this economy. You just have to wait a lot longer. Perseverance is key. Never give up!
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shantom wrote: »
    Good luck for tomorrow Shantom, hopefully you'll have your own thread of congratulations soon.:)

OP, well done on getting the job, I hope you are very happy there.
  • JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations :)
    I bet you will get a few calls from ID ten T error users ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Nice one.
    That's one up the arse for people who say the unemployed are all lazy and don't want to work and would much rather live on benefits (understandable to the point that more can be made on benefits than the minimum wage)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one maaan...Must be the best feeling ever! Congratulations! Hope it all goes well for you and serves you well! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Nice one.
    That's one up the arse for people who say the unemployed are all lazy and don't want to work and would much rather live on benefits (understandable to the point that more can be made on benefits than the minimum wage)

<cough> Daily Mail <cough>
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the words of Morrisey come the end of your first week..

"I was looking for a job, then i found a job and heaven knows i'm miserable now'

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,030
    Forum Member
    Well done hope all goes well in your new job:)
  • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Congratulations! There's no better feeling. :)

Theres no better feeling than getting a job ?

I feel a bit sorry for you.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to everyone!

I am also now employed after 2 and a half years!! Its a great feeling, hubby was over the moon as well!