That's it - I've had it with Daily Mail website

rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes I know a lot of people slag off the DM but I actually liked reading their site for news and gossip.. however, no more as yet AGAIN I log on and there is another story of animal cruelty. Luckily the photo hadn't loaded up but I saw the headline story and it sickened me. So can anyone recommend a decent website for showbiz and news although I don't do slag-heap Sun and BBC just doesn't have enough gossip for me - it's more news.. ;) any recommendations appreciated. Thanks x

Comments

• RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about the orangutan story then the mother and the baby were rescued at the last minute and survived.

I think it's a bit daft when the Daily Mail report on animal cruelty and put in capital letters "contains graphic pictures" while putting up one of the pictures next to that so you don't even have to click on the article to see an animal ripped apart and killed or whatever else. I do scroll through their pages with caution. I was looking the other day and a picture of a half-eaten wallaby popped up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would stp putting the images of the animals in the articles, there really is no need.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Yes I know a lot of people slag off the DM but I actually liked reading their site for news and gossip.. however, no more as yet AGAIN I log on and there is another story of animal cruelty. Luckily the photo hadn't loaded up but I saw the headline story and it sickened me. So can anyone recommend a decent website for showbiz and news although I don't do slag-heap Sun and BBC just doesn't have enough gossip for me - it's more news.. ;) any recommendations appreciated. Thanks x

news != tory propaganda
    gossip != anything of value
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're talking about the orangutan story then the mother and the baby were rescued at the last minute and survived.

I think it's a bit daft when the Daily Mail report on animal cruelty and put in capital letters "contains graphic pictures" with a graphic picture next to that so you don't even have to click on the article to see an animal ripped apart and killed or whatever else. I do scroll through their pages with caution. I was looking the other day and a picture of a half-eaten wallaby popped up.

That was the story! Oh bless you! I couldn't read it and THANK YOU for telling me they were rescued. I know others won't be so lucky but that played on my mind all night, I hardly slept. I was up at 3am working

Yes you're right - I wish they wouldn't put graphic pictures on either - some of us are a bit sensitive and just don't want to see it :cry:
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the tabloids do it. It's to scandalise and titilate us. They do the same when there's some 'disgraceful' sex scene on TV. To demonstrate how outrageous it is they usually have a hundred close up stills of the scene in the article! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the DM seems more bothered about when Suri Cruise goes for a dump, rather than bringing us good quality news.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair the DM seems more bothered about when Suri Cruise goes for a dump, rather than bringing us good quality news.

Or what Rihanna isn't wearing at the moment ... YAWN! I know, I don't read all of the crap :D
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i love the daily mail website - thee's no other like it.

it was an awful headline tho - to have it flashed in your face as soon as you surfed in:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise some people were that sensitive. How can you hope to learn anything from the plight of animals by human beings inflicting pain on them, if you turn away at the sight of it? It's the equivalent of crossing the road when you see someone being mugged.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I didn't realise some people were that sensitive. How can you hope to learn anything from the plight of animals by human beings inflicting pain on them, if you turn away at the sight of it? It's the equivalent of crossing the road when you see someone being mugged.

I don't really agree with this, I'm an avid reader of the Daily Mail website for the same reasons as the OP and check it out maybe 3-4 times per day, but I don't want to be scrolling down the page and come across a picture of a dog with blood dripping down it's face after an attack or see animal corpses like the dog story in mexico (I think) a couple of weeks back.

I don't see it as turning a blind eye to the issue, I see it more as not having pictures of helpless animals in pain forced upon you - The headline is still there if people want to read it, it isn't like they are being told they can't run this type of story, just not show the pictures on the front page.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    AJXX wrote: »
    I don't really agree with this, I'm an avid reader of the Daily Mail website for the same reasons as the OP and check it out maybe 3-4 times per day, but I don't want to be scrolling down the page and come across a picture of a dog with blood dripping down it's face after an attack or see animal corpses like the dog story in mexico (I think) a couple of weeks back.

I don't see it as turning a blind eye to the issue, I see it more as not having pictures of helpless animals in pain forced upon you - The headline is still there if people want to read it, it isn't like they are being told they can't run this type of story, just not show the pictures on the front page.

I do get what you're saying, a headline should be enough but the design and layout of the website is in it's essence, a very visual format, which is why it's so popular. To get people clicking, often shocking pictures draw more attention than just a headline. With the case of the orang-utans you would get the impression just from the pictures that they were doomed but having read through it, it became apparent that they were in fact saved so even if it is a shocking picture, its still worth a click.
  • dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see your point, But It Is not as if the d/m were charging for this service
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seeing the pictures doesn't make the animal cruelty go away, nor does the animals suffering lessen.

If more people were shocked by these images, maybe more people would do something to prevent the cruelty happening in the first place.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Link? I can't find the story.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link? I can't find the story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092722/Pregnant-orang-utan-hugs-daughter-bounty-hunters-Borneo-in.html

It does have a happy ending, but the pictures speak a thousand words.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Or what Rihanna isn't wearing at the moment ... YAWN! I know, I don't read all of the crap :D

Might I suggest the Guardian website? Still free.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week, The Daily Mail website became the most popular newspaper website in the world

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16743645 and
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16746785

Even though many of us dislike the newspaper itself, it's easy to see why their website is so popular, especially in the US where there really isn't any equivalent and newspaper sites tend to be very staid and dull.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this!
    Rather than boycotting the DM, surely they should be given credit for highlighting the story and raising awareness.
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the site but the worst thing about it for me is the animal cruelty stories. I don't want graphic headlines and pictures about animals being tortured! So I try to avoid it more now.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    I like the site but the worst thing about it for me is the animal cruelty stories. I don't want graphic headlines and pictures about animals being tortured! So I try to avoid it more now.

So it's okay for it to happen as long as you don't see pictures of it?
  • AdcmAdcm Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact that you can sort comments by "Worst Rated" says a lot...
  • *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    So it's okay for it to happen as long as you don't see pictures of it?

Of course not. I think it's good they highlight it. I was just saying for me I don't like to see it, so I avoid it. I know too well it goes on, I support animal charities etc but it doesn't mean I want to view those type of photos everytime I go on a site.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you tried Digital Spy? :D