The Maze Runner

Comments

• ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the book and it didn't blow me away but it did hold my attention at times!

As I was reading it I couldn't help thinking "This would look good on the big screen" so I'm looking forward to it!
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it would make a good film and i did really enjoy the book.

However they really messed around with the story and it is quite different from the book. The film story didn't work nearly half as well as the book version.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this, it was solidly entertaining for the majority of it's running time but then it upped it's game considerably during the conclusion.

Overall it did just enough to get an 8/10 from me & I'd certainly like a sequel to get made as I'm interested in seeing where the story goes from here...
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed it - changed a lot from the book
    Still not sure if I prefer the book 'cliff' or the movie 'vault'

Visually it looked great, the maze was absolutely fantastic! The dream sequences and when Thomas 'remembered' everything wasn't as well done as I would have liked. People who haven't read the books would have found it hard to understand, I think.

Dylan O'Brien is a good actor, but I think he was held back in this film. Not because of himself, but simply because of the character - Thomas isn't exactly the most interesting guy! Loved Thomas Sangster and Will Poulter - Will is far better as a bad guy, in my opinion :D And Thomas, despite looking like a 2 year old, is just fantastic in everything!
    And I hope to god Gally isn't dead! I don't think he is, as I'm sure he was moving ever so slightly in his last shot, but can't be 100%!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this. Haven't read the books and this type of thing isn't really my bag (Youth Adult movies based on books) but the trailer made me curious and overall i was thoroughly entertained. Really enjoyed the film and nice little British cast as well. Dylan O'Brian (Thomas), Aml Ameen (Alby) and Will Poulter (Gally) and the little fat kid were great. Effie from Skins (Teresa) didn't really add much to be honest.

The maze itself was fantastic. Really well constructed and believable. The Grievers were terrifying, they looked like huge spiders. Good special effects, really well directed and acted. Only thing i didn't like was the in your face - there's going to be a sequel - ending (sequel is confirmed) and that the flashbacks were confusing. I'm still confused as to why Thomas and Teresa were put there when they were part of the whole thing??

If you like adventure movies this is worth going to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Saw this. Haven't read the books and this type of thing isn't really my bag (Youth Adult movies based on books) but the trailer made me curious and overall i was thoroughly entertained. Really enjoyed the film and nice little British cast as well. Dylan O'Brian (Thomas), Aml Ameen (Alby) and Will Poulter (Gally) and the little fat kid were great. Effie from Skins (Teresa) didn't really add much to be honest.

The maze itself was fantastic. Really well constructed and believable. The Grievers were terrifying, they looked like huge spiders. Good special effects, really well directed and acted. Only thing i didn't like was the in your face - there's going to be a sequel - ending (sequel is confirmed) and that the flashbacks were confusing. I'm still confused as to why Thomas and Teresa were put there when they were part of the whole thing??

If you like adventure movies this is worth going to see.

I would say that it is explained by the final book, but the film was quite different to the book so who knows. They will probably change that for no apparent reason as well.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    I thought it would make a good film and i did really enjoy the book.

However they really messed around with the story and it is quite different from the book. The film story didn't work nearly half as well as the book version.

ALL films are ALWAYS different from the book. Always have been.

I still don't get why people watch films based on books they have read and express shock/surprise/disappointment because it's not like the book.

No film ever has been made that is 100% faithful to the source material, and never will be.

So if you know that going in (and by now everyone should), why do people still moan and complain about films not being like the book?

I apply that philosophy to every film I watch, I fully expect the film to be different to the source material.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite reading some iffy reviews about this film,and never even heard of the book I went to see it this afternoon and surprisingly enough really enjoyed it.

A sort of Lord Of The Flies meets Lost meets Dr Who type film with plenty of action,great plot and superb young cast,particularly Thomas Sangster.(He looks hardly any different than the little kid he played in Nannie McPhee but was amazing in this!)

Recommend it if you're into this type of film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL films are ALWAYS different from the book. Always have been.

I still don't get why people watch films based on books they have read and express shock/surprise/disappointment because it's not like the book.

No film ever has been made that is 100% faithful to the source material, and never will be.

So if you know that going in (and by now everyone should), why do people still moan and complain about films not being like the book?

I apply that philosophy to every film I watch, I fully expect the film to be different to the source material.

BIB1 - They may make minor changes in order to help with filming and story telling but i do not think ALL films ALWAYS change key elements of the story when translating from book to film. Some do but not all.

BIB2/3 - Maybe due to the fact that they are surprised that elements of the book they felt were important have been taken out. I think it is justifiable for a viewer to then question the direction the film has taken. Doesn't necessarily mean they think the film is a poor version of the story.

In regards to this film I don't really understand why they felt they needed to make the changes that they did. While I agree that i never expect a page by page literal translation I don't expect them to change key plot points or character developments that are pivotal to the (book) story. In truth i think the changes they made resulted in less sympathy for the characters (as pointed out by a number of key reviews) and a story that was not as engaging as the book. This is a justifiable criticism of the film when compared to the book, so i stand by my original criticism of this book/film translation regardless of the fact that i should have, in your opinion, expected it to be different.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Loved this film, had given up on the book about half way through too

Looking forward to the next one
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I've not read the book, I can watch the film without thinking about what's been missed out and what hasn't. In fact, until I noticed the film being advertised on IMDb, I'd never heard of the book.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rented it on iTunes.

Gave up on it. Awful movie.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    It was alright. Few movies ever live up to the book anyway.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, because I find the premise interesting. But I think it was a movie that had missed potential. To be honest, it's the sort of story that might work better as a TV series, because I kept thinking of LOST whilst watching it for some reason.