Russian mobile operators stop selling iPhones (big market to miss out on)

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Russian mobile operators have stopped selling iPhones. This is a big market, so its a huge loss for Apple. But once again Apple's greed has gotten the better of them.
Andrei Dubovskov, CEO of leading Russian carrier MTS, elaborated in an interview last week. "Apple wants operators to pay them huge money, subsidizing iPhones and their promotion in Russia," Dubovskov told Bloomberg. "Now it's not beneficial for us. It's good we stopped selling the iPhone as these sales would've brought us a negative margin."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/17/russia_says_nyet_to_apple/

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it will make much difference considering Android has 70.9% of the Russian market, but still. Things don't seem to be going Apple's way recently. :)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I saw that earlier.

Apple pushed the networks too far.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I saw that earlier.

Apple pushed the networks too far.

Apple seem to think it is a privilege to sell iPhone's and if you don't sell iPhones you will loose customers. So the networks must agree to Apples terms of business or they wont get any. Clearly in Russia they have had enough and were not prepared to make a loss just to please Apple. I doubt this will happen over here any time soon. But if Apple start losing market share then the tables will turn.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mts have not had a contract to sell iPhones since September 2012.

iPhones are still for sell through other outlets.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Just like the stories of US networks owing millions after less than expected sales. You can only push people so far and it seems there are lots of areas that apple is being pushed back on lately with the value of iphones being questioned and their criminal activity being exposed.

People realise finally there are better most cost effective options in the market and are wiseing up to being over charged continually.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I doubt it will make much difference considering Android has 70.9% of the Russian market, but still. Things don't seem to be going Apple's way recently. :)

Russian population is over double the uk population so even if it smaller amount it still a hell of a lot of people that apple could of sold them to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Just like the stories of US networks owing millions after less than expected sales. You can only push people so far and it seems there are lots of areas that apple is being pushed back on lately with the value of iphones being questioned and their criminal activity being exposed.

People realise finally there are better most cost effective options in the market and are wiseing up to being over charged continually.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how things are at apple next week when they report on the quarter. With samsung failing to meet expectations you would think apple will be in for a rough ride considering they haven't brought out a new phone for a while.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Yes, it will be interesting to see how things are at apple next week when they report on the quarter. With samsung failing to meet expectations you would think apple will be in for a rough ride considering they haven't brought out a new phone for a while.

Yeah the only new product I believe this year was the new Macbook air.
    Forum Member

I would or you would? strange wording there.

You don't think the iphone has been selling well then do you, things aren't looking great but you may be surprised don't lose hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would or you would? strange wording there.

You don't think the iphone has been selling well then do you, things aren't looking great but you may be surprised don't lose hope.

Not sure it makes any difference to me but I don't know whether it has been selling well or not as no figures have come out yet. It was you that referred to less than expected sells.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Russian population is over double the uk population so even if it smaller amount it still a hell of a lot of people that apple could of sold them to.

It may be a larger market than the UK, but don't forget that Apple has only an eighth of the market share that Android has in Russia. Their sales potential will be far lower and analysts have been remarking on the massive surge in Android shipments to Russia.

This move will no doubt be a massive blow to Apple. It will be interesting to see how the market changes, particularly if this embargo on iPhone sales extends to the new model due later this year. With Android having over 50% share in every major market, Apple must be extremely concerned that this kind of move. They should be worried whether the situation in Russia will spark similar moves in other countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be a larger market than the UK, but don't forget that Apple has only an eighth of the market share that Android has in Russia. Their sales potential will be far lower and analysts have been remarking on the massive surge in Android shipments to Russia.

This move will no doubt be a massive blow to Apple. It will be interesting to see how the market changes, particularly if this embargo on iPhone sales extends to the new model due later this year. With Android having over 50% share in every major market, Apple must be extremely concerned that this kind of move. They should be worried whether the situation in Russia will spark similar moves in other countries.

What sells embargo?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I guess part of the problem is the iPhone is shit.

Happen if apple were to address that...
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Most iPhones sold in Russia are from Apple direct sim free or through cheap imports.

MTS hasn't done the iPhone officially for some time so i'm not sure where this came from unless it's from recent negotiations for the 5S/6.

Russia has always been Android bandit country.. for obvious reasons :)
    Forum Member
    Not sure it makes any difference to me but I don't know whether it has been selling well or not as no figures have come out yet. It was you that referred to less than expected sells.

I repeated what I had heard about such things, never mentioned anything about their results or them being in for a rough ride :confused: not sure how you got that from what I said very odd. They sell a lot more than just phones you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I repeated what I had heard about such things, never mentioned anything about their results or them being in for a rough ride :confused: not sure how you got that from what I said very odd. They sell a lot more than just phones you know.

I really don't know what you are talking about. It was me who mentioned there results and rough ride as an observation following on from your comment regarding lack of sells.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    All that can be said is that the competition is stronger and that the market itself due to various reasons has slowed. Should be interesting.
    Forum Member
    I really don't know what you are talking about. It was me who mentioned there results and rough ride as an observation following on from your comment regarding lack of sells.

Yes as I said in the response :confused: your observation that they will be in for a rough ride, well if you think so ok that's fine.

Strange boy
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android is meant to have 75% world wide so that would still leave 29% for Apple to attain its 18% world average from.

There is mention of it being 9% so who has the other 20%?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes as I said in the response :confused: your observation that they will be in for a rough ride, well if you think so ok that's fine.

Strange boy

Nothing strange at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Android is meant to have 75% world wide so that would still leave 29% for Apple to attain its 18% world average from.

There is mention of it being 9% so who has the other 20%?

The android market and the iPhone market are very different things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The android market and the iPhone market are very different things.

Yep, Android is in the PC system market whilst iPhone is in the iPod type gadget market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yep, Android is in the PC system market whilst iPhone is in the iPod type gadget market.

Is it? Are there a lot of PCs using android.
  • BagovBagov Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    It's to do with the Russian cedit-control laws. They forbid network subsidy allowing you to buy on credit through your bill (Which is what we do in the U.K). In view of the parlous state of the UK economy, exacerbated through bad personal debt, who's to say they're wrong? How many iPhones would have been sold in the UK in the last 8 years if we'd had that rule?

Anyone who's a regular on DS and keen on smartphones knows that the most economic way to finance your phone is to buy outright and get a sim deal. How many contributions have we seen from the "I got my Samoogle 7xxx for £50 cheaper than you by using Euros on Azerbaijan's Amazon-duh, obvs" have we seen on here? They're right, of course, but people (self included) still fall for the "IT'S FREE !(on a 24 month/£37 contract) BS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? Are there a lot of PCs using android.
    Some hybrids use allow booting to Android or 8.

Conversely RT is more like IOS with the same boot and software restrictions. I don't think iPhone apps being marketed as a more basic iPad app helps the cause.