Renee Asherson

rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
Forum Member
This character actress died a couple of weeks ago aged 99. Now almost forgotten she was touted to be a big star after her turn as the French queen Katherine in Olivier's Henry V. She is absolutely delightful in the role and so sexy.

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,192
    Forum Member
    This character actress died a couple of weeks ago aged 99. Now almost forgotten she was touted to be a big star after her turn as the French queen Katherine in Olivier's Henry V. She is absolutely delightful in the role and so sexy.

Interesting that Renee got that role because Olivier was worried that his wife Vivien Leigh would overshadow his own performance if she had starred in it.

Fascinating to hear that Renee would not have been born if her father had not suffered with appendicitis and cancelled his and his wife's passage on the doomed Titanic.

I loved her in the best Agatha Christie story ever shown on TV, she was just wonderful as the childlike Dora Bunner in A Murder is Announced.

She was married to Robert Donat (Goodbye Mr Chips) from 1953, until his untimely death in 1958.
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I think it was when he saw her in Henry V that Robert Donat vowed to marry her.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that Renee got that role because Olivier was worried that his wife Vivien Leigh would overshadow his own performance if she had starred in it.

Fascinating to hear that Renee would not have been born if her father had not suffered with appendicitis and cancelled his and his wife's passage on the doomed Titanic.

I loved her in the best Agatha Christie story ever shown on TV, she was just wonderful as the childlike Dora Bunner in A Murder is Announced.

She was married to Robert Donat (Goodbye Mr Chips) from 1953, until his untimely death in 1958.

BiB this is really spooky, I was reading the Miss Marple thread on here the other day and as we have them on DVD we decided to watch one, we picked A Murder is Announced. I had forgotten just how good these adaptations were.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Wasn't she in Tenko?

The posh one in the green blouse, Sylvia!
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Wasn't she in Tenko?

The posh one in the green blouse, Sylvia!

Well remembered. That's her. Also in Theatre of Blood and The Others.