Actors who play the same character in every movie

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    Bruce Willis.

I dunno, he's done other interesting stuff like Sixth Sense and Moonrise Kingdom, but I suppose the majority of his stuff is that maverick tough guy.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dunno, he's done other interesting stuff like Sixth Sense and Moonrise Kingdom, but I suppose the majority of his stuff is that maverick tough guy.

Yep, Twelve Monkeys being the highlight imo.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Adam Sandler.

And it irritates the shit out of me.

Agreed.I really can't stand him,or the likes of Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson.:mad:
    Yeah, and when he played a Roman soldier in the Jesus flick.

He truly is the son of Gaad :D

I like John Wayne as a cowboy.He was great at what he did IMO but he definetly wasn't versatile.

Sean Connery takes it though I think.He's played a Russian,an Arabian,a Spanish,an Irishman,and an Englishman,all with a scottish accent :D
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member

Last few years he's the same in everything. Possible exception - Looper. He just can't be bothered now, but doesn't need to - he still gets cast.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    johnny depp

I agree

I always believe the old an actor gets, the mature your roles become and they are becoming less mature with each film he is doing

He should be doing serious well written films now, not the tripe like The Lone Ranger etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I agree

I always believe the old an actor gets, the mature your roles become and they are becoming less mature with each film he is doing

He should be doing serious well written films now, not the tripe like The Lone Ranger etc

Agreed.

Alright, he got into the Pirates franchise - fair enough.
    He could keep doing Burton films, that's grand too - they're good friends and some of them have been excellent.
    But this Disney crap? That has to stop.

I feel as though he should be doing more of the Rum Diary/Tourist kind of films, except... y'know... good. The Rum Diary was a disappointment, and The Tourist was an abomination, but at least the direction (no outlandish make-up, no hiding behind a childrens' character) was better than bloody Tonto.

Anyway, rant over.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Bale

Batman: (growls) I am John Connor.

Terminator: (growls) I am Batman.

So versatile.

Ridiculous watch The Machinist and tell me that is not a fantastic performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Sean Connery always plays Sean Connery. Luckily for him, and us, that's largely good enough.

Regards

Mark

Even playing a Russian in Hunt for Red October, he had his Scottish accent.
  • Gavin_WadsworthGavin_Wadsworth Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    As much as I love her, Melissa McCarthy seems to play the same character in all her films.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Tom Hanks. Always seems to play 'Mr Everyman' who's just trying to do his best to 'carry on' according to the nature of the film.
    Disagree with this one strongly.

Would like to see him do something dark though.
    He is good actor with a good range.
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Or even when he was supposed to be a new yoik henchman in The Departed :rolleyes:

Or Boston even ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Ridiculous watch The Machinist and tell me that is not a fantastic performance.

was going to say that :D and American Psycho - lots of slashing, sex and snorting but not so much growling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Johhny Depp brings the same elements to every character now. I loved Edward Scissorhamds, Sleepy Holow etc but now he just does "big personality, loud" characters. I only liked the first and possibly second pirates. After that all of his characters seemed to be like copies of Captain Jack Sparrow

Adam Sandler- Mr Cool house, hot wife, etc

Tom Cruise- generic super spy type bad ass

Jennifer Aniston - Charcters are often quite similar

Changing Tatum- Good looking lead in a romcom
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Would like to see him do something dark though.
    He is good actor with a good range.

Road to Perdition was quite dark. I think he's been fairly varied in his roles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...robert downey jr
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    was going to say that :D and American Psycho - lots of slashing, sex and snorting but not so much growling.

Two big toe thumbs up for you. :D
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    johnny depp

Took almost a whole page but we got there. With the release of TLR and Depp playing Captain Jack in a loincloth I thought it would have been said sooner.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    ...Hugh Grant, stuttering unassuming archetypal Englishman

I agree, that was until I saw him in Cloud Atlas. Surprised the hell out of me.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    Took almost a whole page but we got there. With the release of TLR and Depp playing Captain Jack in a loincloth I thought it would have been said sooner.

The annoying thing is, if they hadn't cast Depp and therefore decided to let him do Captain Jack Pt. 412 The Lone Ranger probably could have been a really good, fun film. Armie Hammer's very talented and suits the part really well and he's basically just been shunted out in favour of 'Ooh look at Johnny Depp being all quirky (again)' even though he's the flippin' title character!

As to other's who play the same character:

Michael Caine (not always, but a lot of them are very similar - still love him, though)
    Katherine Heigl (annoying woman who treats men like dirt but is apparently still an amazing heroine because of it :rolleyes:)
    Michael Cera
    Robert Downey Jr (I like him as both Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man but save for the accent he pretty much plays them both exactly the same!)
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually OP, it would be a great deal shorter if we listed the very few who don't just play the same every time.

I'll start.

Erm ..... erm ........ er I will come back when I think of one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh Grant without a doubt!!!! One trick pony.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    ...not that I'm picking them because I disapprove; but because they match the topic of the thread;

* Johnny Depp (for reasons already mentioned)
    * Jason Statham (usually, if not always the hard man that kicks ass)
    * Vin Diesel (there are a few exceptions, but primarily the same as Statham)
    * Christian Bale (I find him boring to be honest)
    * Robert Downey Jr (always seems to play the sarcastic lead with a bit of an ego complex)
    * Christopher Waltz (he's brilliant, but the films I've seen him in, you can connect the characters he's played by the way he speaks and acts)
    * Jeremy Renner (same reason as Bale)
    * Steven Seagal (just stop making films already)
    * Shia LaBeouf (as Bale & Renner)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Caine doesn't have a huge range, but I like his screen presence so much that I don't particularly care. He's one of the few actors I just enjoy watching - certain trashy made-to-pay-for-a-new-house disasters aside.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Johnny Depp :sleep:
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Bruce Willis of course.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Disagree with the Christian Bale comments - American Psycho alone proves what a versatile actor he is.

Jennifer Aniston definitely, just plays Rachel in everything. But I'll forgive her because I find her very attractive playing that character.