Options

Recent films that still haven't been shown on terrestrial TV

2»

Comments

• Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Human Centipede 2 has never aired. How about original? Has that aired yet?
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twelve months later and I'm still waiting for.....

Inception (2010)
    Cowboys And Aliens (2011)
    Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    Captain America (2011)
    Thor (2011)
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Has Flight(2012) been shown on terrestrial TV yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »

Nope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    I can remember the late 1970s/early 1980s when films like 'Gone with the Wind', 'The Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins' were all getting their UK TV premieres - they were major events!
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Nope.

Could have sworn that had been on Channel 4 (on a Sunday night?) but I must be mistaken.
    I can remember the late 1970s/early 1980s when films like 'Gone with the Wind', 'The Sound of Music' and 'Mary Poppins' were all getting their UK TV premieres - they were major events!

Indeed. Gone with the Wind took 42 years, turning up on the Beeb at Christmas 1981... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has Peter Greenaway's "Nightwatching"(2007) been on terrestrial TV yet? I would have thought that if it was going to be shown - then Film 4 would show it? Has it been on?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I think the main problem is that the 2 main channels BBC and ITV actually have very little "air space" instead they pack Saturday nights with utter garbage and fillers. Saturday night on BBC1 you'd have a film on around 8'ish then MOTD then another film. Now it's casualty and then football for the rest of the evening. And going by the past Christmas, even that doesn't bring the films it used too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the main problem is that the 2 main channels BBC and ITV actually have very little "air space" instead they pack Saturday nights with utter garbage and fillers. Saturday night on BBC1 you'd have a film on around 8'ish then MOTD then another film. Now it's casualty and then football for the rest of the evening. And going by the past Christmas, even that doesn't bring the films it used too.

That is a good point. I think that back in days of old, it was usually a Saturday night when either the BBC or ITV showed newly run films. I remember that The 'Burbs got its first showing on BBC 1 on a Saturday night during the 1990s. ITV 1(back in its regional days) showed a lot of new films on a Saturday night(e.g. Top Gun, Predator, etc.). I think sometimes they did show them on a Wednesday(Die Hard was) and you had to put up with the break for the news. Nowadays, it tends to be Saturday night on BBC 2 when the new films are show. Doesn't tend to happen much on ITV 1 nowadays(it did happen with The Dark Knight awhile ago and that was on late night Sunday and State of Play was shown on a late night Wednesday). Channel 4 shows the new stuff on a Sunday night or on Film 4.

Back to my Nightwatching post - that was released in the UK in 2010, but made in 2007. Just to clear that up. Has it been shown?
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twelve months later and I'm still waiting for.....

Inception (2010)
    Cowboys And Aliens (2011)
    Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    Captain America (2011)
    Thor (2011)

Cowboys and Aliens has been on RTE a few times. They do seem to show films sometimes a few years before UK channels do.

The last Batman film with Catwoman was shown last year and no sign on UK channels
  • Options
    Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dark Knight (the one with the late Heath Ledger as the Joker) has been on ITV 2 twice since Christmas.
  • Options
    Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Saturday night TV has sucked since around the mid to late 80s IMO.

Nowadays the TV Bosses clearly think "Aw sod it, everybody's in the Pub anyway, let's just put any old shite on" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought I'd revisit this thread as although most/all of the films I originally mentioned have now been shown there are some new ones that still haven't been shown. One is The Dark Knight Rises which is now almost 7 years old another is Man of Steel (2013) and also Interstellar (2014) which is oldish (why is it often Christopher Nolan films I wonder?)
  • Options
    Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    What about Sucker Punch (2008) and The Thing (2011). I wanted to see both of those but if they've ever been on terrestrial TV I must've missed them.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 2019, I am genuinely curious to know if there is anyone out there who only has terrestrial TV and nothing else.

Even freeview comes with a bunch of channels that show movies and its built into most modern TVs anyway. Or even on an older TV s you can buy a cheap freeview box, use a fire stick etc.

So...does anyone still only have the basic BBC , ITV, C4 and C5 channels...?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2019, I am genuinely curious to know if there is anyone out there who only has terrestrial TV and nothing else.

Even freeview comes with a bunch of channels that show movies and its built into most modern TVs anyway. Or even on an older TV s you can buy a cheap freeview box, use a fire stick etc.

So...does anyone still only have the basic BBC , ITV, C4 and C5 channels...?

A lot of the country still doesn't get the full Freeview service. Film4 is the only one of the movie channels I can receive on it.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Not quite as big a film as some of the ones that have been mentioned but has A Street Cat Named Bob been on terrestrial yet? Can't think offhand.

Strikes me as one that Channel 4 might show, maybe on a bank holiday or Christmas.