Options

Am I the only one who doesnt like swearing in songs??

2»

Comments

• Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Depends on the context and frequency.

For example, I am not a fan of the ignoramus violence promoting rappers who constantly cry motherf***** , but I'm not against the genre, in particular thoughtful acts such as LL Cool J or the godfather of rap, Gil Scott Heron.

I also have no problem with the use of the F word in songs such as 'Who Are You' by the Who, because that, IMHO, articulates what the character in the song is trying to express better than something more gentile would.

Much more offensive to me is the way that so many female singers, these days, in particular US female singers, seem to think that dressing like street hookers and flaunting their bodies is the only way to sell records. This is a world away from being sexy and classy, as epitomised by acts such as Leona Lewis, or Kate Bush.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the context and frequency.
    For example, I am not a fan of the ignoramus violence promoting rappers who constantly cry motherf***** , but I'm not against the genre, in particular thoughtful acts such as LL Cool J or the godfather of rap, Gil Scott Heron.

I also have no problem with the use of the F word in songs such as 'Who Are You' by the Who, because that, IMHO, articulates what the character in the song is trying to express better than something more gentile would.

Much more offensive to me is the way that so many female singers, these days, in particular US female singers, seem to think that dressing like street hookers and flaunting their bodies is the only way to sell records. This is a world away from being sexy and classy, as epitomised by acts such as Leona Lewis, or Kate Bush.

This. Exactly.

When you get the likes of Cheryl whaterface searing in songs, you know full well it's a marketing ploy to make her look edgy, but ultimately just makes her look ridiculous. Don't forget, she does not write here own songs.

My earliest memories of swearing on songs were Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, where Ozzy screams 'You B******ds!!' and John Lennon's Working Class Hero. Two great songs where the context is perfect.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    My earliest memories of swearing on songs were Black Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, where Ozzy screams 'You B******ds!!' and John Lennon's Working Class Hero. Two great songs where the context is perfect.

Both fine examples of when swearing in music is the right form of expression. In such context more polite words would not carry the same emotional impact. I've also thought of one which works for me; Apeman by the Kinks, which has the line "The air pollution is a f***ing up my eyes." Had Ray Davies sang 'mucking' up instead the emotional impact would've been lost.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a powerful classic of the swearing genre :D

Why'd Ya Do It - Marianne Faithfull

Magnificent!

(She covers 'Working Class Hero' on the same album.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    avanne wrote: »

The other one Is 'That Lovin' by Lloyd & Andre 3000 - that version with the pussy is just sadly unnecessary.

Yes! Couldn't agree more. The swearing doesn't enhance the song in the slightest- it just sounds vile & stupid.

On the other hand, Forget You is much better when it's F*** You, as it reflects the situation/emotions he's feeling.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Supposedly the word is 'clitares', a French word for a type of swimsuit. However, this might just be mischief making by the band's French bassist.
    Thanks for that. It makes sense now. I have followed the band for years and never knew that.
  • Options
    Steve_HarrimanSteve_Harriman Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. Exactly.

When you get the likes of Cheryl whaterface searing in songs, you know full well it's a marketing ploy to make her look edgy, but ultimately just makes her look ridiculous. Don't forget, she does not write here own songs.

100 agree about Cheryl
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And was responsible for the parental advisory stickers on albums....though he doesn't swear in his songs anymore (though I am sure he let one out during his recent tour).

Yes thanks to him we now know what songs to buy if we want swearing in them. :)
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supposedly the word is 'clitares', a French word for a type of swimsuit. However, this might just be mischief making by the band's French bassist.

Yes, I think Jean-Jacques made it up. I've never heard of that word, and it isn't in any French dictionary that I've checked. :D
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I don't like too much unnecessary swearing. But then I tend to like music that's about releasing emotions, whether it's anger and aggression or joy and excitement. So a good swear word in the right place can be just perfect, where I anticipate that part of the song so I can sing-along with great enthusiasm. lol
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rubbish, unless it's from Tool. Then it's good. Like Ænima or Eulogy.

That's the rule, I don't make it up.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't mind it in bits It works in this song.

Bus stop rat bag
    Ha, ha, charade you are
    You ****ed up old hag
    Ha, ha, charade you are
    You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
    You're nearly a good laugh
    Almost worth a quick grin
    You like the feel of steel
    You're hot stuff with a hatpin
    And good fun with a hand gun
    You're nearly a laugh
    You're nearly a laugh
    But you're really a cry
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about how it's done. Too often it's just used as a lazy shock tactic but some singers use it very effectively. It comes down to the skill of the songwriting and timing.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Not fussed if they swear unless it's every line that would be ott.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Some songs need swear words. Forget You is just not as good as the original. It doesn't have the same impact.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If swearing were to all of a suddenly disappear completely, I wouldn't miss it. :):):)

God bless you always!!! :):):)

Holly

Ah, I thought you were going to tell us about how James Otto does or doesn't swear in his songs!
  • Options
    SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ Well "since you brought it up" (That's the name of one of his songs.), James isn't a stranger to it for the record, but needless to say, it doesn't stop me from listening to him because I love his voice!

God bless you and James always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. How far does James go? All the way sadly and his live performance of "Good Time For A Good Time" is where it can be found depending on where James is doing his singing. The good thing is that the album copy of the song is not as swear word contaminated. Go here if want to hear one of his uncensored performances of the song. What I love about the song no matter how it is done is what James is singing about. :):):)
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if it works and is necessary. 'Little Lion Man' by Mumford and Sons or 'Creep' by Radiohead being good examples. I hate the vulgar lyrics of '212' by Azalea Banks - unless I'm missing something with regards to the meaning - and parts of 'Blurred Lines' are horrific yet I really like both songs so unnecessary swearing isn't enough to put me off a song completely, it just means you have to listen to it in private or on headphones rather than being able to play it out loud.
  • Options
    chriswyattchriswyatt Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a stupid naïve kid, I did enjoy swearing in songs, especially ones that slipped through into the radio edits. Too much swearing in a song is definitely annoying, and seems very forced. A good example is Fuçk You Right Back by Frankee, that song was absolutely dreadful. Sorry for reminding people about it :(.
  • Options
    ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One example where I find the sweary version the better version of a song is Cee-Lo Green's "F**K You", in the context of the song, I just don't think "Forget you" works as well.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    OOOhhhh listen mummy a rude swear word.

artists who swear prefer controversy over creativity.