Options

Do you think that Tom Baker's curator will ever be explained?

13»

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Curator is not The Fourth Doctor and shouldn't be treated as such.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    And Lo, with a few short lines Moffat taught Doctor Who fandom that the only canon that matters is your own, personal canon and what you individually read into the episodes.

But only the TV adventures, nothing else counts :p
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was explained. Some day the Doctor will be able to stop running and enjoy a nice, quiet retirement.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, you're assuming the Curator was telling the truth. Why? If someone says something that sounds just plain wrong, then the natural instinct is to assume they're mistaken or lying. You don't blindly accept it without further evidence.

And the idea of an old Tom Baker Doctor is just plain wrong. The thing that made his Doctor the greatest ever was his energy. His unique, wonderful, anarchic energy. I just can't accept the idea of his Doctor losing all that and becoming an old-fart member of the establishment. Hartnell or Pertwee, yes. Colin Baker, maybe. But not Tom.
    And that seems like the issue in a nutshell to me. People who don't like the idea just decide to flat out reject it even if that flies in the face of what the script is blatantly telling us.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    The brilliant thing about it is it doesn't just work for Tom but gives the opportunity for Matt, David, even Chris if he ever has a change of heart, to come back in the future AND look older AND not have to worry about that whole memory wiping stuff at the end.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's even worse. It's bad enough Moffat trying to ruin our memory of Tom Baker's Doctor by wanting to make him a dull old fart working in a museum, but are you seriously suggesting the Doctor himself deliberately would do that to his own greatest incarnation!?!

I mean a future incarnation who may choose the younger version of the fourth and then age naturally. Jeez.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I don't think it will be revisited, and I'm quite happy to leave it at that.

It's Moffat's Captain Jack/Face of Boe moment.
  • Options
    movieifxmovieifx Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    As soon as I saw this scene, I thought of the book 'Summer Falls by Amelia Williams' featured in 'the Bells of St John' and I literally shouted at the screen it's the curator!

My advice is read this and when the curator talks, think of Tom Baker's voice in your head. There is more to the curator than just the scene in the 50th IMO.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    movieifx wrote: »
    As soon as I saw this scene, I thought of the book 'Summer Falls by Amelia Williams' featured in 'the Bells of St John' and I literally shouted at the screen it's the curator!

My advice is read this and when the curator talks, think of Tom Baker's voice in your head. There is more to the curator than just the scene in the 50th IMO.

I'd forgotten there was a Curator in that book!

I just had a quick look. When we first meet the Curator he brings out some tea and ginger pop. Ginger pop was precisely what Tom Baker's doctor ordered when he went to the pub in the Android Invasion (I was just watching it yesterday).

Interesting :D

Mind you, he is described as tall and thin. I'm not sure Tom was ever thin.