Options

Should I Get My Days Holiday Back?

I work in a school. I have had this week booked off work as part of my annual leave (not a teacher!).

All staff were informed that school was partly closed today, and nobody was expected to make it in if it was tricky. I would certainly be stuck in today if it had been a work day. Nobody else really would have turned up. In fact, I just logged onto the work system and about 3 people are using PC's.

Tomorrow is definitely closed. I just got a text saying so.

My question is - should I be entitled to ask for one or two days holiday to be credited back to me? Everyone else had a free 2 days off, but I get 2 days leave deducted. This hardly seems fair. What will really fck me off is when I go back, and people gloat at me about it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would take your manager/HR person aside and gently say, perhaps in a causal, funny way- oh you know how I handed in my days holiday form and it atcually ended up being day off for all- well I assume I can have this scrapped now? Or if you are there for a while yet- say nothing and just request 2 extra days when you want them- if they disupte it at all then bring up the days off due to snow and explain the situation re snow again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't school holidays enough?
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH - no I don't think you will get the two days holiday back. You booked the days off and had it not been for the snowfall you would have taken them so it really wouldn't be fair.

I am afraid it is just bad timing!
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just though, do you think you should get extra days off if you happen to get ill on your holidays? I mean you could had sick days if you were at work instead of using up holiday time.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajax. wrote:

Just have to point this one out, the original poster said that they were not a teacher.

I also work in a school, as support staff, and while I do get the holidays off, my Husband who is also support staff does not get them off, and is only entitled to his 4 weeks off per year.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajax. wrote:

I am on a full time contract.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think you'll have much luck getting your holidays back I'm afraid.

I was in a similar situation Dec '05 when the oil depot blew up in Hemel Hempstead. I had booked the following Monday and Tuesday off as holiday days - but as the company was shut (obviously) the rest of the workforce were told to stay at home on full pay. I lost out, but it was just tough and bad timing. Such is life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just though, do you think you should get extra days off if you happen to get ill on your holidays? I mean you could had sick days if you were at work instead of using up holiday time.

No, unless everyone became ill and the school shut. The analogy doesn't really work for me ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think you'll have much luck getting your holidays back I'm afraid.

I was in a similar situation Dec '05 when the oil depot blew up in Hemel Hempstead. I had booked the following Monday and Tuesday off as holiday days - but as the company was shut (obviously) the rest of the workforce were told to stay at home on full pay. I lost out, but it was just tough and bad timing. Such is life.

I'm in no doubt there are 2 sides to this situation. I'm going to try for one day back, and because it's public sector, you never know!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I were you I would seriously just try putting in for another 2 days- most comps I've worked for dont keep up with the exact days anyway- if you are questioned say like you didn't relaise it would be an issue about the snow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should get it back!

My company will give you holidays back if you are sick on a day you have booked off so i say give it a go!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would hope you get it back

I suppose its down to the powers that be.... :rolleyes:

Its not as if your salary comes out of any 1 persons pocket...
    (being local authority rather than private company)

Take a few sickies to recoup if they're meanies... :p